• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is the NCAA/ACC policy on chewing tobacco?

TripleDeac21

Reaction score
I’ve always been curious about this. Is it allowed in ACC baseball today, at least from the dugout?

I swear I’ve seen Wake players in the Wake dugout visibly dipping during games (on the ACCN broadcasts). On multiple occasions. Without any reservation. Again, just curious. Is this commonplace or accepted today, despite the NCAA ban? Not strictly enforced maybe? Just surprised me when I saw it. And I’m sure Wake is not the only offender.

When I first got into baseball as a kid, I was amazed that guys could play a sport with a huge chaw in their mouth. George Brett was the best example of this. All of us kids wanted to try dipping and chewing bc we saw it from the major leaguers so I'm just fine with a ban on it at any level. My MIL died of oral cancer and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

When I first got into baseball as a kid, I was amazed that guys could play a sport with a huge chaw in their mouth. George Brett was the best example of this. All of us kids wanted to try dipping and chewing bc we saw it from the major leaguers so I'm just fine with a ban on it at any level. My MIL died of oral cancer and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
Thanks for your post, SC. I’m sorry about your MIL.

I’m sorry too, SC. That actually makes me really sad to think guys are dipping in 2023. They definitely were 20 years ago, ten years post-ban.

I’m sorry too, SC. That actually makes me really sad to think guys are dipping in 2023. They definitely were 20 years ago, ten years post-ban.
Here’s hoping it’s all Big League Chew and Bazooka Joe (including the comic strips).

Dudes used to crack beers and smoke heaters during games back before TV

I swear I’ve seen Wake players in the Wake dugout visibly dipping during games (on the ACCN broadcasts). On multiple occasions. Without any reservation. Again, just curious. Is this commonplace or accepted today, despite the NCAA ban? Not strictly enforced maybe? Just surprised me when I saw it. And I’m sure Wake is not the only offender.
Narc

The technical rule (at least how it was told to me) was the second your second foot gets on the team transportation, to the second it touches ground back on campus after the event you're not supposed to have any tobacco, alcohol, blah blah blah.

Now, especially the nonrevenue sports, specifically golf and baseball, both drinking and chewing tobacco are extremely prominent and happen all the time. It's supposed to be a "call it if you see it policy" but when the coaches have a lip in as well and are supposed to be the ones enforcing the rules, it goes uncalled. If I had to guess, ~20-40% of golfers in NCAA tournaments use some type of chewing tobacco in tournaments. It's 5+ hours long and if you're not in it it's excruciatingly boring shit, gotta find a way to cut through it a bit, and if you are in it, it's a nice nerve calmer. Can't speak as much to baseball for in-game stuff specifics, but it 1000% happens at a major clip, and if I had to guess at the same rate if not more than golf.

I never saw it once get called or anybody get a violation for it in play. I've heard "that coach is a narc, watch it around him" from opposing coaches with a fat wad in but never once saw anybody get penalized.

It's just one of those things that culturally is more around the outdoor sports and within the games aren't viewed as anything out of the norms, so they just kinda slide under the radar except in the rare case.

As for drinking, most of the time you keep drinking on the DL and that stays in the team hotel rooms, but there will be drinking among different teams that you're more familiar with/closer with as the season progresses.

Back