• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is the one, most important, book or publication that anyone should read?

deacdiggler

"Well known member"
Reaction score
Let's leave out the Bible, because while that would be my answer, it doesn't result in a terribly interesting discussion.

I'm reading The Economist right now and I always feel more in touch with the world when I read it. Not sure it's my answer, but it's in the mix.

Let's leave out the Bible, because while that would be my answer, it doesn't result in a terribly interesting discussion.

I'm reading The Economist right now and I always feel more in touch with the world when I read it. Not sure it's my answer, but it's in the mix.

Here's your bible gigantor:

how-to-live-with-a-huge-penis.jpg

The Epic of Gilgamesh, best read in its original cuneiform.

Jane Jacobs, The Death and Life of Great American Cities

Lots of possibilities. If I have to pick one: South of the Big Four.*

* Not the basketball tournament.

I think you need to clarify the question a bit. Are you asking about something people should read to educate themselves? Or just read for pleasure? And are you talking book or newspaper/magazine, because those are pretty different.

I read an article by a book critic one time that asked the question, "If you were stranded on a desert island and could have only three books, what would you choose?" His choices were the KJV Bible, a one-volume compendium of Shakespeare, and I can't remember the third, but I think it was a poetry anthology.

I read an article by a book critic one time that asked the question, "If you were stranded on a desert island and could have only three books, what would you choose?" His choices were the KJV Bible, a one-volume compendium of Shakespeare, and I can't remember the third, but I think it was a poetry anthology.

Under that scenario, my first choice would be: "How to Get the Fuck Off a Desert Island."

Back