• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What it takes to free a man

BobStackFan4Life

Reaction score
Clarence Aaron finally gets clemency.
Aaron had been a college football star, a math whiz, an admired young man...He said good bye 20 years ago to his mother, to his community, to his future when he was sentenced to three consecutive life terms for a minor role in a drug deal...Aaron wasn’t the buyer, the seller or the user of any drugs
But it does nothing to address the far greater offense that Aaron and thousands like him fell victim to: the Justice Department’s pardon office and, more precisely, U.S. pardon attorney Ronald Rodgers.

It took decades, a small army of advocates and an investigative series, to free Aaron. Attorneys at white shoe law firms, clemency experts, former prosecutors, a federal judge, lobbyists, clergy, lawmakers, and White House lawyers were all in his corner.

But they were no match for Rodgers, a former military judge who prosecuted drug crimes when the Justice Department was eager to make examples of young black men.

As pardon attorney, Rodgers deliberately misled the president of the United States–as an investigative series I wrote showed and a subsequent inspector-general’s report confirmed–when he withheld facts in Aaron’s case.
Instead, at Rodgers’ urging, Bush denied Aaron’s initial request five years ago, on Dec. 23rd, 2008. Had Rodgers been interested in sharing rather than concealing facts–in granting, rather than withholding, mercy–Aaron could have had his own family by now.

Rodgers’ actions remained hidden from the White House until this story in 2011. The inspector-general for the Justice Department wrote that Rodgers’ conduct in the case “fell substantially short of the high standards expected of Department of Justice employees and the duty he owed the President of the United States.” He was forced to recuse himself from a new review of the case. But, remarkably, Rodgers wasn’t fired.

Under his continued leadership, more than 5,000 other inmates have been denied a second chance during Obama’s presidency. Another 1,333 ex-felons have had their pardon requests turned down.

A statistical review of the selection process revealed that white applicants are nearly four times as likely to be pardoned than all minorities combined.
The department says Rodgers spends time personally reviewing every single case. That, of course, is not possible.

Aaron was among eight federal inmates ordered released by Obama Thursday. He was not the only one among the small group with a committed legal team, or whose unjust sentencing garnered public support and media attention.

Because that is what it takes, more often than not, to pry open the narrowest crack in a system that locks up nonviolent, first-time offenders forever.
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/clarence-aaron-pardon-obama-rodgers-justice
Besides the price paid by Clarence Aaron, I wonder what the financial cost to taxpayers was for having him locked up all those years. And how does that pardon attorney get away with misleading the president and still have a job? smh

Here's another article on the case which provides background and also details what pardon attorney Ronald Rodgers did when Bush had a chance to grant Clarence Aaron clemency.
According to former White House counsel Fred Fielding, his staff had become frustrated by the lack of positive recommendations from the pardon office. In Bush's final year in office, lawyers began searching through denial recommendations for promising cases and found Aaron.

This time, key elements shifted in Aaron's favor. Unlike her predecessor, Deborah J. Rhodes, the new U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Alabama, supported the petition.

"I have reviewed various documents submitted by Clarence Aaron in support of his petition for commutation of sentence and agree that Aaron should receive a commutation of his life sentence," her November 2008 memo to Rodgers began.

Rhodes suggested Aaron's triple life sentence be commuted to the equivalent of a 25-year sentence, with credit for good behavior. Under this calculation, Aaron would be released in 2014.

U.S. District Court Judge Charles Butler Jr., who had sentenced Aaron, changed his earlier stance of no position, opting this time to support commutation.

"Looking through the prism of hindsight, and considering the many factors argued by the defendant that were not present at the time of his initial sentencing, one can argue that a less harsh sentence might have been more equitable," he wrote in response to a motion filed by Aaron's attorneys.

In a phone interview with the pardons office on Dec. 2, 2008, Butler told Morison, the lawyer in the office, that Aaron "should be granted relief" by the president immediately.

Morison sent an e-mail to Rodgers sharing his transcribed notes from the call with Butler. Morison asked Rodgers if he should update the draft recommendation on file for Aaron's release in light of the views expressed by Rhodes and the judge. Rodgers responded minutes later: "Thanks Sam. I'll take it from here."

Instead, Rodgers offered no new recommendation to the White House and did not revise the old one. He did not pass on years of favorable prisoner reports describing Aaron's successful rehabilitation. He also made no mention of an affidavit Aaron filed with the pardons office in 2007 in which he expressed further remorse and asked "for a second chance to be a productive citizen."

Rodgers resubmitted the 2004 denial recommendation, unchanged, to the White House.

In an email the next day to Kenneth Lee, associate White House counsel, Rodgers did not disclose that Rhodes and the sentencing judge now agreed that Aaron should receive an immediate commutation. He told Lee that Rhodes suggested Aaron's sentence should be commuted to a term of 25 years "at some point." Rodgers also said that Rhodes believed "Aaron's commutation request is about 10 years premature."

No such language is in Rhodes's memo.

All Rodgers told the White House about Butler's views was that the judge had "no objection to commuting the sentence presently."

Rhodes would not comment on Rodgers's handling of the petition except to reiterate that she had recommended an immediate commutation for Aaron.

"I reviewed the case myself and thought it was a good one," she said.

Butler declined to comment for this story.

The Justice Department would not answer questions about the way Rodgers characterized the views of Rhodes and Butler, or how Rodgers had arrived at his recommendation on Aaron.

Lee, the former associate White House counsel, said Rodgers had presented the views of Rhodes and Butler "in the least favorable light to the applicant."
http://www.propublica.org/article/pardon-attorney-torpedoes-plea-for-presidential-mercy

Also, since the above article I think Obama has commuted the sentences of 9 people. Still, you've gotta think way more people than that deserve to have their sentences commuted.
Between 1980 and 2010, requests for commutations rose sharply, reflecting lengthier sentences and the elimination of paroles for federal inmates, while the number of successful applicants plummeted.

"The reason that some people should have their sentences commuted is because they have been over-sentenced," said Mark Osler, a former federal prosecutor who runs the country's only law school clinic for commutations.

Under Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton, both two-term presidents, one applicant in 100 was successful. Under Bush, approvals fell to barely better than one in 1,000. So far, Obama has commuted the sentences of fewer than one in 5,000. The only person freed by Obama had support from one of the president’s closest congressional allies, Illinois Democratic Sen. Dick Durbin.

It's not a stretch that the prosecutorial path would attract dishonest racists or just ambitious uptight fuckers with a cloudy and broken moral compass. The defense side is just as bad. The big shots who get paid lie as much. The public defenders don't give a shit and who knows how many innocents go behind bars because of their indifference.

Why is the sentencing so much higher for crack than powder cocaine? I read they reduced it from a 100-1 to 18-1 sentencing ratio in recent years. I still don't get why it carries anything more than a 1-1.

Karma, you know the answer. Cocaine is associated with whites with affluenza and crack is associated with inner city blacks.

Right, I get that part, but how in the hell do they come up with (and still justify) an 18-1 ratio in sentencing harshness?

I am so confused. From the MSNBC article here: "His sentence was always unjust–Aaron wasn’t the buyer, the seller or the user of any drugs"

So, what the hell did he do?

Did MSNBC just get sloppy when creating a 2nd article? Because I found a very similarly written tidbit (that excludes 'use' ) here that says: "
Aaron has been imprisoned since 1993 for his role in a crack cocaine deal. Though it was his first offense, and he was not the drug dealer, supplier or buyer"

Right, I get that part, but how in the hell do they come up with (and still justify) an 18-1 ratio in sentencing harshness?

Justify to who?

Maybe Aaron was a lookout.

So, what the hell did he do?

Aaron stumbled into the "war on drugs" near its peak, in 1992. Then a linebacker at Southern University in Baton Rouge, he introduced a classmate whose brother was a drug supplier to a cocaine dealer he knew from high school in Mobile, Ala.

Aaron was present for the sale of nine kilograms of cocaine and the conversion of one kilogram to crack, according to court records. He was paid $1,500 by the dealer.

After federal authorities busted the ring and the case went to trial, Aaron claimed his role was so limited that he knew almost nothing about the deal. But he refused to testify against friends, and others fingered Aaron as a major player and testified against him in exchange for reduced sentences.

Though it was Aaron's first criminal offense, he received the stiffest sentence of anyone involved in the conspiracy. Only Aaron and the drug supplier, who is scheduled to be released in 2014, remain behind bars.

Aaron's case gained national attention in 1999 when he appeared in "Snitch," a PBS "Frontline" documentary about prisoners serving long sentences after refusing to turn informant. The film helped him garner support in Congress and from civil rights organizations

Check out this white guy who WAS pardoned:
On Dec. 23, 2008, the day Bush denied Aaron's petition, he commuted the term of another man, Reed Prior, who was serving a life sentence for his fourth drug offense.

Prior was a major dealer of methamphetamine at the time of his conviction in 1996, according to Justice Department records.

When he was busted, police found 869 grams of meth plus nearly $18,000 in cash. He was convicted for possession, with intend to distribute.

Prior refused to cooperate with prosecutors in the Southern District of Iowa. At 46, he received a mandatory life sentence.

Prosecutors in Des Moines vehemently opposed Prior's commutation request.

According to a copy of the recommendation sent from the pardon attorney to the White House, U.S. Attorney Matthew G. Whitaker wrote that a commutation for Prior "would have a detrimental impact on law enforcement efforts in this community as (Prior) would essentially be rewarded despite his failure to provide full and truthful information about his criminal activity and his associates."

Prior's initial application for commutation was denied in December 2007. A year later, he reapplied.

This time, he had the support of influential family friends, senior judges and the wife of Iowa's then-governor. In addition to petitioning through the pardon office, Prior's lawyer met with Fred Fielding, the White House counsel.

A week later, Prior was ordered freed after 14 years of incarceration.

"Going through the pardons office didn't work," said Robert Holliday, the Des Moines lawyer who handled Prior's case for free.

"Going directly to the White House did."

Prior, who is writing a memoir, compared his fortune to that of winning a lottery. "When I see those megamillions ticket-buyers, I think about myself sometimes." Of Aaron, Prior said he hoped President Obama would commute his sentence. "I watched 'Snitch' while in prison and remember his case."

Lee said the White House was persuaded that Prior deserved to be released.

"There was evidence that he had been rehabilitated and adjusted well during his prison sentence," Lee said. "He seemed to have shown remorse for his actions..."

Certainly nothing to fear from an ever growing government.

i just hope people can somehow be made to understand these sorts of things are systemic in the LEO and judicial system, not isolated events. my text books in school and my own anecdotal experiences support my assertion.

they use a complex mathematical formula. no but really the type of person who posts on this board in general are in the demographic that sees this as perfectly fair in their worldview. and that demographic also holds the majority of the power in the country. i knnow i'm not really telling you anything you don't already know.

@all

Aaron's case gained national attention in 1999 when he appeared in "Snitch," a PBS "Frontline" documentary about prisoners serving long sentences after refusing to turn informant. The film helped him garner support in Congress and from civil rights organizations

this is true too. Police "confidential informants" are basically just the rats that get to the PD station first. If i had turned snitch, i'd have a clean record instead of a single offense. whistle blowers are awesome. i hate snitches though.

Last edited:
One of the things Obama said in giving clemency to a couple of people is that sentencing needs to be fixed. The problem is the yahoos in Congress don't want to do it. Another problem is the lobbying of the for profit prison companies.

That's your fucking takeaway from this? Really?

It certainly is a take away for me. When an all powerful government can wage an insane "war on drugs" this is the type of situation that becomes common place. This is a war that is waged on the citizenry and unfortunately for black people it is an uneven-handed war.

This type of thing happens far more often on the local level.

Sure...the ridiculous war on drugs prevails all levels of government.

Back