• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What ticks me off the most

Fusiondad10

Reaction score
After 40 years as a Deacon fan I can't remember ever feeling lower than I do right now. Here's the reason.

We've had tough times for most of the 40 years and not very many big game wins, or successful stretches. But we always had pride. We always had hope. Right now there's nothing. Only the remotest prospect that our players might decide for themselves they've had enough, and do something about it. Frankly, that's not the way it works. If it did we wouldn't need coaches. It is the coaches that bring out the best in the individual players, and build a TEAM together with them. If you've watched us this season you know that isn't happening anymore.

When I read Dan's article about the long season, and saw honest quotes from only the players and not the coaches or administration I knew we are in serious trouble. The players want to be good I have no doubt. They can't be fired, only benched. It's the adults that do the benching, the hiring, and the firing. But the adults are hiding. Hiding from the truth behind a list of platitudes and excuses that is miles long by now. They are hiding from their responsibilities thinking that no one who counts is noticing( the fans obviously don't count ). But if you read Dan's article you realize that the players have noticed, and they do count.

Time for some courage, some honesty, and some truth and some change.

Absolutely correct. Totally sickened by the pathetic lack of leadership at WF.

Exerpts from the article -

"I think it's just the whole attitude around the program,'' junior Michael Campanaro said. "I was looking around tonight and you know the game’s on one end and I see a bunch of guys huddled up around the heater on the other end. That’s just a losing attitude. It wasn’t a pretty sight to see. The game was still in reach then.''

And...

The Deacons will return most of their key players next year, but Nikita Whitlock said it won't be enough until changes are made in the program. He was asked to specify the needed changes. "You can’t lose three or four games the way we lost them – and I don’t have to mention them – and it be just be a players thing or a coaches thing,'' Whitlock said. "It’s a whole team thing, all the way from the top with Coach (Jim) Grobe and maybe Ron Wellman all the way to the bottom. Football is about effort. We need to make some changes to get better.''

Jim Grobe attributed the late season slide to injuries and I'm sure that played a part. But I think the players are right. There's a much bigger problem...

Is Jim Grobe clueless or just trying to put lipstick on a pig?

I honestly dont think Grobe knows what to do at this moment. I am sure he wants to get rid of Lobo, but is too loyal to a fault. I dont think he knows how to fire up the kids now. Kids have changed since 2006. What worked then wont work now. He just doesnt have the ability to change his style to reach these kids. If he doesnt get canned he needs to put some young and competent coaches around him. I want to see some fire from Grobe. I want to see him blast a ref for a bad call...get in a kids face when he fucks up. It would have been great to see him walk over to the kids huddled by the heater and turn the heater off and tell them to watch the damn game.

Yeah, there's a much bigger problem. I only saw the first half, since work called, but we were seriously out-jocked. They have way better players than we do. If you want to blast this coaching staff, that's where it begins (and probably ends). It's real tough to win without good players. Most programs that I have seen go into a multi-year decline have done so for the same reason; the recruiting went to shit. Everyone gets too comfortable, and no one wants to work at it anymore.

More like rip the heater out of the wall, pick it up, slam it on the ground, stomp on it, snap off the little on/off switch, then point into the stands at the player's family section and say something like "you are embarrassing yourselves and those people right there who came to see you today."

And it was what, 42 degrees out? Imagine these chumps playing in Wisconsin...wow.

I honestly dont think Grobe knows what to do at this moment. I am sure he wants to get rid of Lobo, but is too loyal to a fault. I dont think he knows how to fire up the kids now. Kids have changed since 2006. What worked then wont work now. He just doesnt have the ability to change his style to reach these kids. If he doesnt get canned he needs to put some young and competent coaches around him. I want to see some fire from Grobe. I want to see him blast a ref for a bad call...get in a kids face when he fucks up. It would have been great to see him walk over to the kids huddled by the heater and turn the heater off and tell them to watch the damn game.

More like rip the heater out of the wall, pick it up, slam it on the ground, stomp on it, snap off the little on/off switch, then point into the stands at the player's family section and say something like "you are embarrassing yourselves and those people right there who came to see you today."

And it was what, 42 degrees out? Imagine these chumps playing in Wisconsin...wow.

Or even told them to go sit with their mommies and daddies.

It was frustrating to see Grobe in his usuall hands on hips pose on the sidelines all day compared to Franklin chasing a kid down from 40yards away yelling at him to get his ass down to the goal line on a kickoff that was a toughback. He made the kid run back down and touch the goal line before he could come off the field. I was impressed with his fire and attention to what was going on. It is little things like that, holding kids accountable for covering a kick completely even if it is in the endzone that breeds success.

It was frustrating to see Grobe in his usuall hands on hips pose on the sidelines all day compared to Franklin chasing a kid down from 40yards away yelling at him to get his ass down to the goal line on a kickoff that was a toughback. He made the kid run back down and touch the goal line before he could come off the field. I was impressed with his fire and attention to what was going on. It is little things like that, holding kids accountable for covering a kick completely even if it is in the endzone that breeds success.

Was just about to post this. Saw Franklin tear into that kid for not running out the play...that's the kind of fire and passion I haven't seen, possibly ever, from this coaching staff. Can't help but think we'd easily be 7 - 5 immediately with Franklin. Grobe just stands there with arms folded, a slightly disappointed affect scrawled across his face as the only indication he has in interest in the team or the job.

"You know what hurts the most is the, the lack of respect. You know? That's what hurts the most. Except for the, Except for the other thing. That hurts the most. But the lack of respect hurts the second most."

Was just about to post this. Saw Franklin tear into that kid for not running out the play...that's the kind of fire and passion I haven't seen, possibly ever, from this coaching staff. Can't help but think we'd easily be 7 - 5 immediately with Franklin. Grobe just stands there with arms folded, a slightly disappointed affect scrawled across his face as the only indication he has in interest in the team or the job.

Hell Yeah! We would have beaten Maryland and maybe Duke and we'd be sittin' on top of the World!

After 40 years as a Deacon fan I can't remember ever feeling lower than I do right now. Here's the reason.

We've had tough times for most of the 40 years and not very many big game wins, or successful stretches. But we always had pride. We always had hope. Right now there's nothing. Only the remotest prospect that our players might decide for themselves they've had enough, and do something about it. Frankly, that's not the way it works. If it did we wouldn't need coaches. It is the coaches that bring out the best in the individual players, and build a TEAM together with them. If you've watched us this season you know that isn't happening anymore.

When I read Dan's article about the long season, and saw honest quotes from only the players and not the coaches or administration I knew we are in serious trouble. The players want to be good I have no doubt. They can't be fired, only benched. It's the adults that do the benching, the hiring, and the firing. But the adults are hiding. Hiding from the truth behind a list of platitudes and excuses that is miles long by now. They are hiding from their responsibilities thinking that no one who counts is noticing( the fans obviously don't count ). But if you read Dan's article you realize that the players have noticed, and they do count.

I couldn't agree more. Well said.

1. No way Nikita is back. He flat called out the AD and head coach. No fucking way he has any plans on being in Winston next year.
2. Grobe doesn't want to fire Lobo. I know he is loyal and all, but Lobo does as told. With Lobo as OC it might as well be Grobe calling the plays, except Grobe doesn't get that involved in shit.
3. No question Franklin gets us to 7 wins this year, injuries and all. Then a coach like Franklin will build on that success and maybe get us in a position to play some decent ball moving forward.

Well said. I totally agree.
When I started the game thread yesterday, my biggest concern was our level of emotion.........or lack of it.
Well, we never showed an inkling of emotion or inspiration and we proceeded to get our butts handed to us.
Big changes are needed, quickly, before we go off the cliff.

Official Wake - Vandy game thread

Almost time for kick off........Let's end our regular season with a win.

Regardless of win or lose, I really want to see us play with EMOTION today.

- Play with your hair on fire
- Play like there's not tomorrow (there won't be a tomorrow for many players if we don't win)
- Throw your bodies with wreckless abandon having no regard for your personal well being
- Take no prisoners
- Play like you're Nikita
- Leave everything on the field ........and then some
- Play like you life depends on it

Go Deacs!

A wufu bufu sighting???

Back