• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What to do in San Diego? Where to eat?

AbeFroman

Reaction score
Heading to San Diego for a few days next week and need some suggestions. Thanks.

La Jolla has a lot of good food. George's has the best fish tacos in the area.

Hodad's is probably the best burger in America. There's a Nobu downtown that's solid.

Hash House a Go-Go for breakfast.

You HAVE to go to the zoo and see the Pandas.

I'm going by critical consensus/word of mouth with the "best" comments, not personal opinion. I enjoyed all of those meals very much though.

umahyvat.jpg

Get some Carne Asada Fries or a California Burrito from somewhere...El Indio is good for that. Check out Carnita's Snack Shack too. Any place that has a pig statue on the roof of a literal shack is a good sign. The Pork Sandwich there is awesome. So is the Poutine. Check out a vineyard and local brews are great. Go check out Point Loma.

Get some Carne Asada Fries or a California Burrito from somewhere...El Indio is good for that. Check out Carnita's Snack Shack too. Any place that has a pig statue on the roof of a literal shack is a good sign. The Pork Sandwich there is awesome. So is the Poutine. Check out a vineyard and local brews are great. Go check out Point Loma.

:drool:

Sushi Ota is amazing

If you need a quick lunch. In-N-Out doesn't get the respect it deserves on these boards.. But I love it. Best fast food burger in existence.

Also, every trip home, I eat at Rubios 3-4 times. Lobster Burrito, and Fish taco. Amazing. You'll probably find fish tacos a lot of places, but that's my favorite place even though its a chain.

My favorite place for nice seafood restaurant is "The Fish Market". Its at the end of the Embarcadero. Great views, GREAT food. They have a more casual restaurant below and a nicer restaurant up top.

And Karl Strauss is a great brewing company. I concur with all those remarks.

Garnet Avenue in Pacific Beach.
Crystal Pier in Pacific Beach.
Gaslamp District downtown.
Ocean Beach during the day.
Hike at Torrey Pines state park.

If you need a quick lunch. In-N-Out doesn't get the respect it deserves on these boards.. But I love it. Best fast food burger in existence.

Also, every trip home, I eat at Rubios 3-4 times. Lobster Burrito, and Fish taco. Amazing. You'll probably find fish tacos a lot of places, but that's my favorite place even though its a chain.

My favorite place for nice seafood restaurant is "The Fish Market". Its at the end of the Embarcadero. Great views, GREAT food. They have a more casual restaurant below and a nicer restaurant up top.

And Karl Strauss is a great brewing company. I concur with all those remarks.

Agree with Rubio's. Karl Strauss is pretty average, IMO, considering how many fantastic breweries there are in SD.

You can park in the Downtown district and walk to just about anywhere in the city. When I first moved to San Diego in 2004 I was stuck on the base without a car for a good solid month. Was able to take the ferry from North Island/Coronado to the Santa Fe Railway area and explore all of downtown, including Balboa Park, San Diego Zoo, etc. Gaslamp district is a lot of fun to walk around and get some great food and enjoy a cool (but pricey) bar scene.

Rubio's, In-N-Out, were all awesome cheap places to eat as far as local chain fast food is concerned? Can't believe nobody mentioned Del Taco, though. That establishment was this poor enlisted man's best friend after many a drunken night, coming back from cheap booze and partying in Tijuana.

ETA: As much as I love and miss living in San Diego, I certainly don't miss paying $7.00 for cheap beer at the bars. Nickel Coronas at Revolutions area in Tijuana was awesome though.

Last edited:
Agree with Rubio's. Karl Strauss is pretty average, IMO, considering how many fantastic breweries there are in SD.

Which ones? Just curious, always open to try out a new brewery.

I guess I would agree Karl Strauss isn't "amazing". Solid though. but my dad and I used to sit outside of Petco park and drink beer at a bar that served Karl Strauss. I guess the memories trumped the taste of the beer.

Back