• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What was bzz thinking?

Cav is also filling Carson's shoes and those are not hard to fill. He is playing as a frosh better than Carson would have as a junior.

I would much prefer junior Carson over frosh Cav. Carson's numbers last year were only a litter better than Cav's, but he could protect the rim and play a little defense.

Not sayin I agre with the coach, but posting b/c it gives some insight into what he was thinking. From today's W-SJ:

Brown, who had scored only two points previously, missed the free throw and Wake Forest called a timeout with 8.8 seconds left. [Redacted] inserted 3-point threats Cavanaugh and Chase Fischer in an effort to spread the Virginia Tech defense, and Harris drove off a high ball screen at the foul line.
“He got it to the rim, and then we had an offensive put-back opportunity,’’ [Redacted] said. “Again, we had two shots there. That’s exactly what we wanted.
“You’re either a good coach or a bad coach depending on whether the ball goes in.’’

No, Jeff, you're a shit coach no matter what the ball did in that particular incident.

He's an awful coach for having the team in that position to begin with. Realistically, Wake should comfortably be beating VT based on both team's history. And in that game yesterday, WF gets up by 8-ish points then lets the other team come back. It's happened at least 3 times now. Some one needs to teach Bzz and the team how to close out games. That he needed a last second shot to potentially win the game makes him a bad coach.

[Redacted] inserted 3-point threats Cavanaugh and Chase Fischer in an effort to spread the Virginia Tech defense

Since when is Cav a threat from deep? Does anyone, besides the opposing team, pay attention to stats? It's obvious Bz and the press don't.

Original post is EXACTLY what I thought. WELLMAN - GET BZZ THE F OUT ! He's an embarrassment and nowhere near an ACC-caliber coach. You don't owe your friend anything more...you gave him the rope and he's hanging himself every chance he gets. NO MORE !!!

Since when is Cav a threat from deep? Does anyone, besides the opposing team, pay attention to stats? It's obvious Bz and the press don't.

This is dumb, the guy was 2-2 from 3 in THIS game, certainly a threat at that point. And you didn't see his man ignoring him just standing in the lane, so your point is?

This is dumb, the guy was 2-2 from 3 in THIS game, certainly a threat at that point. And you didn't see his man ignoring him just standing in the lane, so your point is?

It's not dumb...it's math. Cav just isn't a good shooter at Wake, no matter what you may want to believe or what BS you let our AD feed you.

30% FG and 24% from behind the arc. Was 19% before that amazing 2-2 performance against Tech. Lowest FG% on the team (2nd lowest 3FG% behind Moto)...if he's or "3 point threat", we're screwed. Be the stats, he's literally the worst shooter on our team.

Last edited:
It's not dumb...it's math. Cav just isn't a good shooter at Wake, no matter what you may want to believe or what BS you let our AD feed you.

30% FG and 24% from behind the arc. Was 19% before that amazing 2-2 performance against Tech. Lowest FG% on the team (2nd lowest 3FG% behind Moto)...if he's or "3 point threat", we're screwed. Be the stats, he's literally the worst shooter on our team.

And, per my quite possibly incorrect calculations, has the 2nd highest number of possessions per minute played (behind Travis and ahead of CJ).

Note that my numbers exclude Clemson and Virginia Tech.

#Buzzball

Sure it is, I'm sure the 'book' on Cav is he's supposed to shoot 3's, they guy was 'on' for the VT game. So you guard him. Tell me that they would guard Devin out there.

Like it or not VT had a body following him to the corner, so I guess VT was doing that based on his FG%.

If VT is guarding our worst shooter out to the corner they're either as clueless as Bz or they're just not worried about us going inside since we're a team of guards and wings.

In my mind, if you have CJ taking the shot then Devin needs to be in. At that point in the game CJ was 2-12 within the offense so you're going to want the guy average 9 rpg in ACC play over the one averaging 2.2.

Of course, what that really boils down to is CJ should not have been taking the shot. Yes, in most games that's absolutely what you want to have happen, but clearly he was having an off day. It happens to everyone and for some reason has happened a lot to CJ this season (strange since I recall him being very consistent last year). It just seems stupid to go to the guy who had missed 4 straight shots and last made one at the 14 minute mark. Travis should have been taking that shot in this game, even if on average it should have been CJ.

Back