• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What will Wellman do?

What will Wellman choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When having any sort of discussion about Wake Forest basketball in the years of our Buzz, one rule abides: forget logic. I fully expect Buzz back next year, Wellman just does not care about winning. He is willing to sacrifice our competitiveness to have the appearance of straight-laced young lads playing "the right way."

I have to stick with #1.

I will not even entertain the possibility of #3 happening because it can't.
We will finish in dead fucking last place in the ACC - he will NOT get a contract extension.

Again, gut says #1 - he's gone in 2 weeks.

I'll take Wishful Thinking for $800 Alex

I don't know whether Wellman is an osterich or he's Sgt Schultz. Is he willfully ignorant or just praying that it all blows over?

I am surprised so many of you think he will actually be fired. It just isn't going to happen in 2013.
How can you be so sure? Let's all agree that none of us have any idea whatsoever what Wellman is thinking. Where's that option in the poll?

How can you be so sure? Let's all agree that none of us have any idea whatsoever what Wellman is thinking. Where's that option in the poll?

I am 95% sure Bzz will be given a 4th year. I am totally opposed to it like anyone sane, but after hearing that the Board is backing Bzz and athletic donations are actually increasing overall, I can't see Bzz getting canned. I don't think he will get an extension though. If Wellman has any intensions of canning him after next season, he would be insane to give him an extension, as Wake cannot afford to pay another coach for years after firing him.

As much as I want him gone I think he will get an extension. I think Wellman will give me him a 1 year extension since just keeping him sets him up as a lame duck coach so he couldn't recruit. I think that next year will be the make or break year. After next season he'll either be fired or given a multi-year extension. As much as I don't want this to happen I think that this is the most likely option.

I expect him to leave on his own and goes bak to the NBA as an assistant or something. Even if the money at Wake is good, if [Redacted] likes basketball and has any pride he can't be enjoying this experience. I think he tucks tail and tries to salvage the last few years of his career back in the NBA.

Maybe Wellman retired Chris Paul's number so that Chris would get [Redacted] a job with the Clippers.

The 'plan' was to be in the NIT this year and NCAA next. Clearly we are off target but Wellman openly stated after the State game that he felt we were further along than even he had expected. So the question is...will Wellman consider beating NC State and Miami as a replacement for making the NIT. If he retains Jeff and we improve next year but make the NIT perhaps with an overall .500 record, is that sufficient for a 5th year? Can Wellman really believe it should take 5 years to get us back to the NCAA tourney? If he retains Bzzz, I believe he is saying 5 years of rebuilding is acceptable.

I don't know if he can weather a full 4 year storm politically or financially but he is very committed to Bzzz. What an incredible fuck up this has been. The ultimate save face is for Wellman to step down and have the next AD do the dirty work of cleaning house but there are no indications that is happening.

I am 95% sure Bzz will be given a 4th year. I am totally opposed to it like anyone sane, but after hearing that the Board is backing Bzz and athletic donations are actually increasing overall, I can't see Bzz getting canned. I don't think he will get an extension though. If Wellman has any intensions of canning him after next season, he would be insane to give him an extension, as Wake cannot afford to pay another coach for years after firing him.

I am not hearing the same with regard to donations. My understanding is they are in terrible financial shape and the Deacon Club donations are down in a huge way.

Think about it this way, it'll take us longer to get back to the NCAAT with our "culture change" than it will take Penn State to get back to a bowl. Thanks Ronald.

I don't know Icker. What I've heard is that donations are up for athletics, academics, whatever at schools across the nation since the recession ended. If the same is true at Wake, Wellman could easily use that to claim any opposition to Bz is at the fringes and there is broad support for "the plan".

My understanding is the only thing giving us any flexibility is the incoming ACC TV money. I was told a number of large donors have cut way back from the Deacon Club. Maybe the likes of Donald Ross can help clarify.

I haven't read this thread but consider this: next year and the year after Wellman will be the head of the selections committee for the NCAAT. Does he want to take a chance that another pathetic year by Buzz, which is highly likely, will force him to undertake a search for a new coach while he is supposed to be running the tourney selections? This would literally be a prescription for yet another catastrophic coach selection. And no one can afford that. Just about everything says to Ron Wellman get a new coach now. Will he get the message?

My understanding is the only thing giving us any flexibility is the incoming ACC TV money. I was told a number of large donors have cut way back from the Deacon Club. Maybe the likes of Donald Ross can help clarify.

I think this is a good and somewhat terrifying point. Premiere Wellman may have more leeway with revenue programs than he once did and can point to the bottom line that as a "success" since we're lowering standards and all.

My sense is that Jeff will be gone as Wake's basketball coach by March 15th. Ron will credit him with turning around the culture of the basketball team and keep him on the payroll as Chief Compliance Officer or something similar that is internally facing and hides Jeff from the public. With the freshman, the recruits, the effort CP3 is giving to the program, Wellman will recognize that the time is right to bring in some mid-major hotshot who wants to go the the Final Four. I'm voting for Tommy Amaker who brings the Duke lineage and the Harvard cachet.

His deal is up after next year (2013-14), right?

I thought I had seen 2014-15 elsewhere, so clarifying.

Does [Redacted]'s daughter graduating play any role in what happens to Buzz at the end of the year?

Bzz is resigning. I told him I will march with a crowd with pitch forks and torches if he doesn't.

I am not hearing the same with regard to donations. My understanding is they are in terrible financial shape and the Deacon Club donations are down in a huge way.

This is very true.

Back