• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What would you say to a Trustee at the bar/restaurant/party?

AMCDeac

Richard Joyce
Reaction score
If you randomly ran into a WFU Trustee and struck up a conversation, what would you have to say say? I would be tempted to fall down my typical hole of predatory tuition but that seems like a waste of breath at this point.

If you randomly ran into a WFU Trustee and struck up a conversation, what would you have to say say? I would be tempted to fall down my typical hole of predatory tuition but that seems like a waste of breath at this point.

Small talk. Godeacs. Talk about how hard higher education is going to have it in the coming 10 years.

“Oh, this your wife, huh? Lovely lady. Hey baby, you must’ve something before electricity”

Got-Any-Cheese-300x245.jpeg

“I’ll have a glass of Macallan 25”

Aw, come on you cowards, ask them how Pro Humanitate it is to have a $70k price tag and huge student debt load.

I also posted this on the college bad investment thread
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/college-meltdown-tuition-inflation-141711523.html

However, overall, "our colleges and universities are not doing it right," he added. "They need to look towards those positive examples (Purdue, Arizona St, FSU), and their trustees have to be absolutely meticulous and ask those hard questions. It's wonderful to spend money on programs and to have new offices, but they have to ask what will be the impact of this."

The list price of college isn't what most people pay though. It's raised to get people who CAN pay to pay more. Lots of the international students in the Masters of Accounting program pay full tuition. If you're having to borrow a bunch of money to go to Wake, you're definitely getting the aid to cut it in half.

Still - the inflation that has impacted public school prices is just as bad as private schools - it just looks better on the graph in that article because of log scaling.

So - i'd thank them for serving (they aren't getting paid) and politely ask what they think about the "arms race" among schools to have nicer facilities. I have to think that a big part of the way those other schools manage costs involves "not building fancy new buildings when we have old ones that work."

have you ever been in a turkish prison?

Probably something novel like my takes on the whole Wellman/Dino/Bz/Manning situation.

The list price of college isn't what most people pay though. It's raised to get people who CAN pay to pay more. Lots of the international students in the Masters of Accounting program pay full tuition. If you're having to borrow a bunch of money to go to Wake, you're definitely getting the aid to cut it in half.

Still - the inflation that has impacted public school prices is just as bad as private schools - it just looks better on the graph in that article because of log scaling.

So - i'd thank them for serving (they aren't getting paid) and politely ask what they think about the "arms race" among schools to have nicer facilities. I have to think that a big part of the way those other schools manage costs involves "not building fancy new buildings when we have old ones that work."

I beg to differ.

probably would barely even talk about wake. just tell them I went back in the day and then get to know them as a person.

This was my approach recently at a reception that included two trustees. I thanked the trustee that hosted for their generosity and commented on how lovely their home is...kept it to small talk and largely unrelated to Wake.

Yeap. We’re just bilking dem Chinese. My parents paid like a grand a semester out of pocket and my loans coming out weren’t that bad compared to the sticker price

just ran the Net Price Calculator on WF's website. A family earning $170,000 in gross income, living in a $400,000 home with $300,000 in outstanding loans, with $250,000 in investments, would be expected to pay $77,586 toward the first-year cost of attending WF. Would receive $2300 in "Need-Based Scholarships and Grants from Wake Forest, federal, and state sources"!!

but again, I'm not talking about that at a cocktail party

just ran the Net Price Calculator on WF's website. A family earning $170,000 in gross income, living in a $400,000 home with $300,000 in outstanding loans, with $250,000 in investments, would be expected to pay $77,586 toward the first-year cost of attending WF. Would receive $2300 in "Need-Based Scholarships and Grants from Wake Forest, federal, and state sources"!!

but again, I'm not talking about that at a cocktail party

I just found this. LOL. $56,436 a year for my kids. Like, eat my ass.

I could have been wrong. Send your kids to public school

Back