• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What's a good beginner tennis racquet for 13 yr old girl?

Is she of normal height or is she a dwarf?

Just pick up a low end (less than $50) from Target, Sports Authority, etc. At that level, a racquet is a racquet. She needs a chance to try the sport. I'm partial to Wilson, but Prince, Head, and Babolat are the other big names. Those cheaper racquets will be the right size/weight. If the grip is too small, overgrips are an easy fix. Good luck, tennis is an awesome sport.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Just pick up a low end (less than $50) from Target, Sports Authority, etc. At that level, a racquet is a racquet. She needs a chance to try the sport. I'm partial to Wilson, but Prince, Head, and Babolat are the other big names. Those cheaper racquets will be the right size/weight. If the grip is too small, overgrips are an easy fix. Good luck, tennis is an awesome sport.

I'm assuming that she is going to be playing Middle School tennis.

I wouldn't go to Target or the Sports Authority to initially get the racquet. Fine if you ultimately end up getting it there, but if you want to help her she needs to get properly fitted. Go to a pro shop and they will have a variety or racquets in a variety of costs. There is no reason to break the bank on this. Also, many of the Target, etc tennis racquets tend to be heavier weights (this was at least the case a few years ago). She needs to get a feel for the weight that suits her. You can end up getting it at Target, etc if that is the best deal and fits her, but they don't have the knowledge to get her properly fitted.

Is it possible for her to try or demo racquets at a club? I think that would be helpful.

Also, I'd feel comfortable advising that a 13 year old could use an "adult" racquet albeit one that is more intermediate geared since she's starting, i.e. head size at 100+ and wider string pattern.

On weight it could go either way just what feels comfortable.

I'm assuming that she is going to be playing Middle School tennis.

I wouldn't go to Target or the Sports Authority to initially get the racquet. Fine if you ultimately end up getting it there, but if you want to help her she needs to get properly fitted. Go to a pro shop and they will have a variety or racquets in a variety of costs. There is no reason to break the bank on this. Also, many of the Target, etc tennis racquets tend to be heavier weights (this was at least the case a few years ago). She needs to get a feel for the weight that suits her. You can end up getting it at Target, etc if that is the best deal and fits her, but they don't have the knowledge to get her properly fitted.

Good advice, but pro shop = $150+. Unless you go used. Hadn't thought of that, a good used racquet is a good place to start.

The advice on 100 sq.inch head size is right on, as is wide string patter, so 16x18 instead of 18x20. Head heavy generally is more power, head light is more control. I would think the 10oz range would be good. 8oz is really light, 12 is heavy.

Mr. Pitt highly recommends the Bruline. He uses it when playing Ethel Kennedy.

a good used racquet is a good place to start.

To expand on this: A lot of people will resale their gently used racquets when they desire a new one or very often, their child either quits the sport or wants the newest racquet. Great place to look, especially to get a quality racquet at a lower cost since she may not stick with the sport. Plus, many of the pro shops will let you try out the racquet for a few days or hours, which will give her a better feel for the racquet. If she has an instructor, ask him/her what they recommend. If her coach is knowledgeable they could be a resource. If she doesn't have an instructor, the pro shops will sometimes look at the child's stroke, etc and guide you on a racquet.

I can't harp on it enough, she needs to get properly fitted. A too big, too small, improper grip size, etc can make for a less enjoyable learning experience for a beginner.

Oh and just wait until she starts breaking strings or needing multiple racquets :p

oh no you idint

aee457c6-7189-3ef7.jpg

Back