• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What's Houston like?

Caturday

Reaction score
I lived in Tejas for a few years as a kid but don't remember much other than snakes. What's the social scene like? Where do the 20 something congregate? Are there any neighborhoods close to downtown?

Social scene is fantastic. Downtown has been revitalized and there are downtown and near-downtown areas with lots of young folks and things the 20 something crowd loves to do. Party and socialize. 3 Major sports teams, Astros have been horrible but new owner this year (and switch to AL). There is really no comparison to the Dash.

I almost moved there a few years ago. My feeling was that it's just like Atlanta except with a longer summer. I was pumped to go but got vetoed.

There's way more to do here than Atlanta, I suppose that is due to the larger population. The summers are brutal. August of last year we had 30 of 31 days with high temps 100+. All time record high on 8/27/11 of 109F. It was pretty ridiculous. Sept-May is really nice.

Lol. dv7 is going to rip this thread.

I've lived there my whole life. Worked for a firm downtown last summer and spent a lot of nights out on the town. It's a great place. It lacks the culture of NYC, Chicago, or D.C., and it moves at a slower pace. It's not a "pretty" city. It's hot.

Social scene is great, with the weather allowing for plenty of outdoor patio bars and rooftop bars. Great food in the obvious staples (tex-mex, bbq, steakhouses), and the burgeoning immigrant population makes for great world cuisines.

Downtown is sort of a ghost-town socially. Unlike other cities, downtown is for working and not much else (imo). During the day-time, you won't even see many people there because they're all underground in the tunnels.

Plenty of great living and drinking in the Heights, Midtown, Montrose, and Rice Village though. Basically west of downtown is where you want to be, although the eastern part of downtown is slowly revitalizing. The new Houston Dynamo is helping to spearhead that effort.

Social scene is fantastic. Downtown has been revitalized and there are downtown and near-downtown areas with lots of young folks and things the 20 something crowd loves to do. Party and socialize. 3 Major sports teams, Astros have been horrible but new owner this year (and switch to AL). There is really no comparison to the Dash.

*ahem*

4 major sports teams. You forgot the Houston Dynamo. :thumbsup:

If you can get over the weather and the lack of typical tourist-type attractions, Houston is a great place to live.

Midtown is an ideal near-downtown, 20-something area to live. Easy downtown access, solid nightlife, good food, and compared to similar locations in other big cities, really pretty cheap. In my opinion the clear winner if your going to be downtown, particularly with both Minute Made and Toyota Center right there.

If you want to get a little bit away from downtown but still have fairly easy access, there are some good options around Rice, the Galleria, or the Heights.

Seems like housing, food, commute, and social life are probably going to be your biggest concerns, but for what it's worth Houston has some pretty good museums (art, mostly), some cool Texas history sites pretty close by, and the Galleria will cover pretty much any shopping needs.

Hope that's a pretty good overview, but I'm happy to answer any more specific questions too.

The Menil Collection is a legit world-class Art Museum. Free admission, a fantastic collection, and a Renzo Piano designed space. One of my favorite art museums in the world.

Yea, I remember it being extremely hot too although the last couple summers in the North have been brutal. GLOBAL WARMMMNNNNUUGGG.

Thanks for the comments it seems like a cool town and cheap as hell.

Whitney? I would guess she is pretty cold and lifeless at this point, no?

Yea, I remember it being extremely hot too although the last couple summers in the North have been brutal. GLOBAL WARMMMNNNNUUGGG.

Thanks for the comments it seems like a cool town and cheap as hell.

This is key. And very true.

Houston is awesome! You're going to love it here. Don't waste another second of your life living someplace else. You'll never want to go on vacation again. We've got it all. We're growing. We're #1, AND GETTING BETTER! There's no zoning. Our average unleaded gas price is four cents less per gallon than that for the US as a whole. You've heard people talk about how awesome New Orleans is; well, a bunch of folks from there came and visited during Hurricane Katrina and liked it so much that THEY NEVER LEFT! Houston is multicultural and bilingual. The women are hot AND calienté. You won't need a winter coat. Whitney Houston is named after us. We have our own University system. Come check us out!

Never been to Austin, nor to San Antonio. Visiting both in April. Excited about the trip.

If you come to Texas and don't visit Houston, YOU'RE JUST CAMPING OUT! Bring your boots on over to Houston and we'll show you the true meaning of a good time!

*ahem*

4 major sports teams. You forgot the Houston Dynamo. :thumbsup:

And don't forget our hockey team, the Houston Aero! How much do we love Football in Houston? We have three WOMEN'S Football teams -- Energy, Power, Cyclones! You should really check them out!

I hated Bush Intercontinental, kinda liked Hobby

Thats all I got

Good point. IAH is way the hell out of town and is not great.

Not a huge fan of Houston, but that is likely because I compare it to Austin, and that just isn't fair.

Back