• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What's the best way to cook a steak w/o grill?

Get them to room temperature. Make sure they are really dry. Sear in cast iron on each side and then toss in oven. Cook, let them rest, season.

you could've just asked "what's the best way to cook a steak?" because its the same thread

Sear on high heat on stove top, 30 seconds per side, and finish in the oven at very high heat or broil until it reaches desired temp (flipping once while in the oven). Usually about 2 mins per side for medium rare.

Another vote for sear in cast iron skillet then put it in the oven to finish. Also, posters above are right as this method is better than the grill.

Make sure you turn on your exhaust fan/open a window when you do this...there will be smoke.

il_570xN.407070546_hbrg.jpg

Drinking a beer while cooking a steak in the oven just doesn't have the same ring or feel.

I don't do it often either, he did ask the best way to cook a steak

Thanks everyone I thought that searing and finishing in oven was the best way, I just wasn't sure what temp to put them on in the oven. Not sure how coherent this is, I have been drinking crown all day.

Another vote for sear in cast iron skillet then put it in the oven to finish. Also, posters above are right as this method is better than the grill.

Sear on high heat on stove top, 30 seconds per side, and finish in the oven at very high heat or broil until it reaches desired temp (flipping once while in the oven). Usually about 2 mins per side for medium rare.

Sear them in a cast iron skillet, finish in the oven.

Get them to room temperature. Make sure they are really dry. Sear in cast iron on each side and then toss in oven. Cook, let them rest, season.

+1

I like to do the searing in a cast iron skillet after I've cooked my mushrooms and onions in the same skillet

Isn't it better to sear them cold rather than room temp? Don't you get a better sear that way?

Back