• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What's with John Russell on the Blue Devils' staff?

We've beaten them 10 times in a row. Maybe looking for some secrets

We've beaten them 10 times in a row. Maybe looking for some secrets

If I remember correctly, he's the second Deac in recent memory to be a grad assistant at Duke after Drew Dayton (also known as Deac Boy).

Also in that article is that the Russell will be working with his much hyped Duke counterpart Vince O.

Maybe he is getting grad school at Duke for free. That would be a very good deal.

Maybe he is getting grad school at Duke for free. That would be a very good deal.

I assumed that was the case, but in any event I'm not seeing any down side to this for John.

I'm sure he will be giving Duke our trade secrets. Not good.

What secrets? The offense changes from year to year (or game to game) and the two DCs he played under are gone. I think opposing coaches know the basics of Grobe's overall gameplans anyway.

Proud of John

I'm proud of John and getting a Masters of Theology too. Way to go John!

Unfortunately, it's not possible for Wake to hire all the former players that would like to get into coaching. Getting the Duke job seems like a good fit for him. He's already played for a good coach (Grobe) and now he gets some time to learn from another good coach (Cutliffe).
Also, he should be familiar with dealing with players that must focus on academics as well as sports.
I hope he does well............although not good enough to help them beat us!

Back