• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What's your best shooting angle?

My guess is the corner 3 is generally a more wide-open shot... but I have no data to back that up.

It's logical that it would be as that's where help would come from when there is either penetration or a post pass.

I would imagine this also has a lot to do with who is shooting. Wings are the usual shooters from the corner, and the corner is also one of the least likely spots to force a bad shot at the end of the shot clock. The top of the key is most definitely the easiest three pointer to make, but that is also the most likely location of a desperation 3 and a center or power forward shooting the three. If I had to rank the shots on terms of difficult it would probably go top of key, corner, wings. At the corner your angles line up nice and parallel to focus in on the shot. Top of the key is perpendicular plus you get the added benefit of having the most likely chance of the backboard aiding your shot. Good shooters miss short and long, which doesn't help all that much from the 45 degree angle (doesn't help from the baseline either), and the 45 degree shot is a highly guardable shot. You have help defenders coming from all sides of the court. Really interesting link. Thanks for sharing. I would say this is one of those pieces of research in which the explanation for the data is more complicated than 'teams shoot 'x' % from this spot on the court so that must be the easiest shot to make.

anywhere but the corners. i have problems w/ depth perception from the corners so anything i put up is an airball, short or long.

I was solid from three feet. Drape me with defenders, didn't matter.

Back