• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What's your definition of filthy rich

How much net worth to be "filthy rich"

• $1 Million

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $2.5 Million

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • $5 Million

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • $10 Million

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • $25 Million

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • $50 Million

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • $75 Million

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • $100 Million

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • $250 Million

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • $500 Million

Votes: 5 5.4%

• Total voters

Baconwfu

Reaction score
Slightly inspired by the "how much would you give wake if you were filthy rich" thread, but I'm curious to see what people's thoughts on what you have to have in order to be considered "filthy rich". This isn't a perfect science obviously, but in terms of net worth, (which should be a reasonable indicator of income) in your opinion, what's that level that catapults someone above just being wealthy, or upper class or plain old rich to being flithy rich.

for disclosure, I picked 25 Million. The reasoning behind that is because at that point you should be making at least a few million a year. If you're pulling in a few million a year I feel like that's enough to put you in the filthy rich league (of course if you're in NYC or SF then it might have to be that x2, but I'm talking NC cost of living). Also, as long as you don't just go absolutely crazy, you can pretty much do anything you want on a few million a year and still have plenty left over

Last edited:
I voted $10mm, but was thinking of a bachelor. The threshold for filthy rich goes up with wifeys and dependents.

Basically more than I think I could ever spend. And I feel like I could spend a huge amount, so for me it's going to be at least $1 billion

I'd say it also depends on age. I'd consider a 25 year old with $1 million richer than a 50 year old with $1 million. Though $1 million is certainly not filthy rich.

"Ultra high net worth individual" in my world generally refers to folks with > $30 million in investable assets. I went with $50 million.

Filthy rich..... I consider that f you money which is different for everyone, but I would say $10mm if you haven't hit your ceiling on earnings potential is probably when you crack that level

Filthy rich..... I consider that f you money which is different for everyone, but I would say $10mm if you haven't hit your ceiling on earnings potential is probably when you crack that level

I love that term

I don't know that I'd consider $10mil fuck you money. I went with $250mil, sort of for the same reason as CDM above, which it is more than I think I could ever spend simply by living large. I could certainly find a way to roll through $250 mill, but that would go beyond just living large and move into the realm of owining islands or sports teams.

I don't know that I'd consider $10mil fuck you money. I went with $250mil, sort of for the same reason as CDM above, which it is more than I think I could ever spend simply by living large. I could certainly find a way to roll through $250 mill, but that would go beyond just living large and move into the realm of owining islands or sports teams.

I think $10mm is when you can start to demand things though. If I crack the $10mm net worth level with no end in sight, I would stop takin a lot of shit. Maybe it is kinda low as a stopping point though.

Plus I would buy and destroy a box for Wake football games every year.

I think $10mm is when you can start to demand things though. If I crack the $10mm net worth level with no end in sight, I would stop takin a lot of shit. Maybe it is kinda low as a stopping point though.

Your standards have been historically low.

I'd agree with this
I don't quite consider it filthy rich, but it's certainly wealthy, and it's certainly enough IMO to tell everyone to go to hell if I so desired. I could certainly very comfortably off the proceeds from $10Mill, especially if I was still relatively young

But I mean it more like I'm working, amassing wealth, and once I pass $10mm I would consider myself filthy rich... I would not feel that way if I just won $10mm in the lottery and that was it. This is all a matter of preference, I don't disagree w other ppl have been saying on this thread.

I put $25 million. I agree generally that if I were still working and passed the $10 million mark I would consider myself wealthy. Filthy rich is probably closer to $50-100 million.

If I had $2.5 mil I could live off the interest perpetually, and would feel filthy rich.

Back