• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

When is Ty Walker eligible?

Here's our rotation so far, in minutes per game:

Mckie - 34
Harris - 33
Fischer - 29
Channault - 26
Carson - 26
Nikita - 26
Fields - 15
Green - 9

Pulling out the big men to see where Ty may fit in, this is what we've essentialy been going with:
C - Carson (26), Green (9), Nikita (5)
PF - Nikita (21) Mckie (19)
SF - Mckie (15), 3rd guard (25)

If his head is on even close to straight (big if), I could easily see Ty taking at least 18 minutes, say 5 from Green, 10 from Nikita, and 3more from Fields/TC (sliding Mckie to the 3 for those minutes). Hopefully Nikita won't have to play any more C, and our rotation could look like:

C - Carson (18), Ty (18), Green (4)
PF - Mckie (16), Carson (8), Nikita (16)
SF - Mckie (19), 3rd guard (21)

That would make for a bigger lineup, hopefully one that is a bit better on defense and on the boards compared to what we've been playing. We're going to get worked on the boards and underneath either way, but if there's some improvement it could be worth a win or two in ACC play.

I'd like to see Nikita down to 10 mins. max. That would look like this:

C- Ty (22), Carson (14), Green (4)
PF Carson (12), McKie (16), Nikita (10)
SF- McKie (19), 3rd guard (21)

More Ty, less Nikita. I actually am a huge fan of the twin towers especially in a 3-2 match-up zone.

I'd like to see Nikita share minutes with Brooks, but let's face it: the Mangler will never play under 20 mins a night.

I love his offensive stats this year:
7 ppg on 6.3 attempts
33.3% 2FG
23.5% 3FG

STOP SHOOTING THE BALL NIKITA. TELL HIM THIS, BZ. UGH.

I dont expect him to ever live up to his original billing. My hope is that he just takes away Nikitas minutes. That guy drives me nuts.

In order for him to live up to his original billing, if you couple his last three years with potential performance, he'd have to record quadruple doubles every game for the rest of the season.:rulz:

There's no reason to expect Carson to be able to play the 4. Most 4s in college basketball are actually small forwards in small lineups because of the dearth of quality big men. It's not unusual to see four guard lineups. And Carson doesn't have the low-post game to take advantage of it on the other end, either.

I'm not putting any expectations on Ty's return. I HOPE he'll find a way to contribute to this team and enjoy his last semester of college and college basketball. I don't EXPECT that to happen, but I'd like it to.

ty has currently been practicing with the team from the get-go, correct? anyone in the know have an idea of how he's been getting along with his teammates, coaches, system, etc. and if any improvement has been noticed in those areas...?

There's no reason to expect Carson to be able to play the 4. Most 4s in college basketball are actually small forwards in small lineups because of the dearth of quality big men. It's not unusual to see four guard lineups. And Carson doesn't have the low-post game to take advantage of it on the other end, either.

Is Ty different in that regard? I certainly don't think so. So taht means they have to share the minutes at the 5? You don't think we see the two of them on the court together?

I really like the two of them on the floor in a zone.

I'm just hoping the problem kids have left the team and Ty doesn't have anyone to fuck around with. Hopefully Travis and CJ have gotten to him.

Is Ty different in that regard? I certainly don't think so. So taht means they have to share the minutes at the 5? You don't think we see the two of them on the court together?

I really like the two of them on the floor in a zone.

I doubt we'll see them on the floor together very much. We didn't last year.

I tend to agree we won't see them together too much. The 8 minutes that I slotted Carson to play the PF with either Green or Ty may be a generous estimate. The problem is with our overall lack of size and lack of passable depth at the position, we'll have to find ways to get them minutes if they can contribute, whether at their ideal positions or by adjusting what we do for a few minutes. I could live with them being on the floor together the 4-5 minutes Mckie rests, while playing TC/CJ/Chase alongside them.

There is a great line from the Andy Griffith Show where Barney and Andy are advising Gomer concerning a blind date they have set up for him with Thelma Lou's cousin ...

They tell him, "Dont overexpect, that's all, just dont overexpect."

That advice would be very appropriate concerning the topic of this thread.

Back