• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

When will Wake return to the NCAA tournament

When will Wake next make the NCAA tournament

• Next Year

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • 2017/2018

Votes: 53 28.0%
  • 2018/2019

Votes: 37 19.6%
  • 2019/2020 or beyond

Votes: 90 47.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I remain genuinely encouraged about our 2015 class. 2016 doesn't excite me at all. Something unexpected has to happen with 2017 or middle of the pack is our absolute ceiling.

Translation: I love having posters on the boards who tell me I'm right.

Well yes. I do like smart posters. ;)

Shake and I knew each other many years ago when I lived in NC. Hadn't seen him since. I think this is his first time posting on OGBoards.

We won't make tourney again but had a good ride and a couple chances back in the day. Things have changed too much to get there again

We won't make tourney again but had a good ride and a couple chances back in the day. Things have changed too much to get there again

Nah, there will be some Winston kid in the next few decades who wants to stay close to home and becomes a star. One top 25 player is generally enough to get you to the NCAAT over his career.

I'd love to hear from the 4 guys who believe we'll make it next year...ready to be convinced

Nah, there will be some Winston kid in the next few decades who wants to stay close to home and becomes a star. One top 25 player is generally enough to get you to the NCAAT over his career.

Didn't work for LSU.

i can't see when, def after 2019, but i didn't think it would be never.

some people are saying WF will never make the NCAA again?

Paul would be a one and done in this climate. Howard wasn't top 25. And we missed on the elite local kid in the last class. Paul and Howard probably wouldn't have committed to a down Wake program.

Paul would be a one and done in this climate. Howard wasn't top 25. And we missed on the elite local kid in the last class. Paul and Howard probably wouldn't have committed to a down Wake program.

Howard was absolutely a top 25 player in the country by his sophomore/junior years.

Nbadraft.net would lead you to believe we only get one more shot w/Crawf running point. I believe him & Woods is going to be a very good backcourt next season. If the staff finds a pivotal puzzle piece in a small forward in the post grad pool, next yr isn't out of the question.

Finding a grad transfer with a quality offensive game to play the 3 for Wake seems unlikely. I'd like to find someone with great defensive ability and defensive leadership. I don't care if he scores. If he could instill a strong defensive mindset in the team he would address the area of greatest need.

I'd love to hear from the 4 guys who believe we'll make it next year...ready to be convinced

I just chose to be optimistic, though I'd put our chances at around 5%. The argument being:

1. We aren't as bad as our overall record and level of play during the conference season would suggest. The non-conference season wasn't a fluke and the team was poised to sniff .500 in ACC play until the wheels came off after the Xavier - VT stretch. Blowing a huge lead to Xavier, failing to close out the Louisville and Duke games, and then losing a tough game on the road to a mediocre opponent destroyed our collective psyche. Losing to Virginia 4 games later in the fashion that we did was the nail in the coffin.

2. The loss of Devin and Codi will be a wash. Codi never found a role on this team and just wasn't the same player after the injury. At times he stymied the development of Crawford and made the mess that is our 2-guard situation even more muddled. Devin was a classic good stats, bad team guy and by tailoring our team around an undersized 5 we limited (rightly or wrongly) the playing time of two promising young players. Our frontcourt will be more balanced next year by having a true center and true power forward on the floor.

3. The freshman will make a leap. Crawford will have full control of the team without out having seniors to defer to at times. Collins and Doral will be able to handle more playing time while mostly maintaining per minute production.

4. Someone will claim the 2 guard position. Between Woods, Wilbekin, Childress, and Washington someone will distinguish themselves as an ACC-level starter at the 2-guard position.

5. We get a 3-and-D grad-transfer SF, or Washington or Mitchell turns out to be much better than advertised.

6. With a top 6 of Crawford, Collins, Moore, Grad Transfer, Woods, and Dinos Wake starts strong in the non-conference again and this time extends that start into conference play against a more favorable early ACC slate.

After typing all that I'm going to revise that percentage down to around 1%, but I guess that's the argument

It feels like we are a long, long way away from making the NCAAT again. Even the NIT feels a ways off. Amazing what has become of this basketball program, which at one point had like the longest postseason streak of any ACC team (1991-2006).

People are drastically overrating Crawford and Collins. Its almost the exact same as what happened to people's expectations of Miller-McIntyre and Thomas after their freshman years.

People are drastically overrating Crawford and Collins. Its almost the exact same as what happened to people's expectations of Miller-McIntyre and Thomas after their freshman years.

Collins probably (not sure about drastically though), Crawford no.

Player A: 13.9p, 2.7r, 2.5a, 1.8s, 2.5 tov 43/40/80 %

Player B: 13.8p, 3.1r, 4.4a, 1.7s, 3.5 tov 39/35/67 %

Player C: 13.2p, 4.9r, 6.0a, 1.7s, 3.1 tov 42/22/49 %

Player D: 8.1p, 2.7r, 2.6a, 0.6s, 1.9 tov 41/32/57 %

Rate those players, more importantly which one doesn't belong.

Back