• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Where are we at?

Reaction score
Honest question with no complaints about being 3-0. Tulane and Duke look like 3-4 win teams and Delaware wasn't good. We play Indiana, NC State and Syracuse next, all teams who may finish with losing records. Best schedule ever but I have a hard time figuring out how good we are?

With Hinton and Carney. We're a very respectable team and possibly a special season with 7-8 wins.

Without them? We're just scraping by. Wolford is clearly not the answer. With Wolford the rest of the way, I'd say 6 wins would be the ceiling. The guy is just not major college talent.

"Where we are" is a work in progress. On offense WF has multiple identities in response to sudden alterations of personnel brought on by injury and decision. The key to getting to 6 wins is TEAM. More wins than that will require a much healthier team. Army will be very difficult to defeat with tonight's offensive personnel unless they really develop greater consistency in the skill positions.

"Where we are" is a work in progress. On offense WF has multiple identities in response to sudden alterations of personnel brought on by injury and decision. The key to getting to 6 wins is TEAM. More wins than that will require a much healthier team. Army will be very difficult to defeat with tonight's offensive personnel unless they really develop greater consistency in the skill positions.

I was going to fix the question also so glad you did it for me.

With Hinton and Carney. We're a very respectable team and possibly a special season with 7-8 wins.

Without them? We're just scraping by. Wolford is clearly not the answer. With Wolford the rest of the way, I'd say 6 wins would be the ceiling. The guy is just not major college talent.

Carney is great but I wouldn't group him in with the importance of Hinton. Our RBs, especially Colburn, have proven more than acceptable.

I'm afraid of a rude awakening soon. Without Carney and Hinton, we'll lose to IU and NC State. We will get curb-stomped by the big 3 in the Atlantic. Syracuse's offense looks like it is going to shred our secondary. DB play has been HORRID through 3 games.

BC, Army, UVA. You need those 3.

This. Can't beat IU without Hinton and I doubt we beat Army.

From the postgame press conference last night:

The trainers weren't able to make a diagnosis on Hinton's left knee last night. The team is hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. Given the way that he went down, I think I'm not alone in assuming that there is a full ligament tear involved, but it sounds like we won't know until MRI results are obtained.

Cade's injury is being described as an MCL sprain. He is almost certainly out for Indiana and very likely out for NC State as well. Clawson fells confident that Wake will have him back for Syracuse.

Last edited:
Maybe a dumb question but if they suspected a full ligament tear why was he on his feet and walking around on his own?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe a dumb question but if they suspected a full ligament tear why was he on his feet and walking around on his own?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, if the ligament was fully torn I guess there wouldn't be a risk of damaging it further by walking around.

My guess on the complete tear was that Hinton seemed to react to a "popping" in his knee. This seems to be different from, for example, Carney's injury which reportedly was not considered to be a big deal when it happened. In Cade's case it was the subsequent swelling that led to the decision to get an MRI. Hinton's injury seemed to be significant right from the moment that it happened.

I'm wondering if there are some sports med folks out there that can weigh in on this.

Feels like we need to steal one from IU or State and then everything is on cuse game. 5-1 would be amazeballs before we get our nuts shredded by the big three. Army is looming as a huge game to make or break our bowl chances...

Last edited:
Spoke with a neighbor this morning (ortho) and he said ACL tears are fairly easy and reliably diagnosed on the field. But then he says "you never know" so MRI is will be conclusive

Keep the faith guys, we're 3-0 which is as many games as we've won the last 2 seasons. We'll see what the rest of the year brings, but our guys have a taste for success now, so hopefully that will carry us to at least 3 more wins. Hinton was bound to go down at some point, shame it was against an opponent we could beat without him. Let's hope we get better than expected news on him today or tomorrow.

Totally anecdotal, but when my wife tore her ACL playing tennis two years ago she walked around on it for three weeks before finally going to see an orthopedist. He took one look at her knee and told her it was torn--they never even did an MRI before he did the surgery to repair.

I was concerned at first the way that Hinton immediately started hopping that he had torn his Achilles. Either way, I'm more convinced than ever that God hates Wake Forest. For the first time in years we started to look dynamic on offense, and our dual threat QB immediately goes down with a non-contact injury. Now we're forced to suffer through the inevitable slog to 5-7. I just don't see any way that Wolford leads us to a bowl game. He's just too limited, and we are far too easy to defend when he's back there.

Spoke with a neighbor this morning (ortho) and he said ACL tears are fairly easy and reliably diagnosed on the field. But then he says "you never know" so MRI is will be conclusive

This is some premium #scoop right here. Reads like a Stugotz nfl news update.

humble brag

First let me be clear that I am not proposing that we burn Newman's redshirt this year. Is he going to be a similar type QB to Hinton as far as athletic ability (I know he's bigger)? Just looking to next year, assuming Hinton is the starter, would Newman be able to back him up and the playbook stay the same if pressed into action?

Back