• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Where does the Republican Party go from here?

The basic question is - Does the GOP have the balls to publicly humiliate and exile the crazies and the racists?

If the answer is no Gillespie is right.

They have to get on board with immigration reform. It is an absolute must or they are going to continue to be marginalized in national elections.

This could have been posted on one of the other threads about the future of the Republican party.

To be honest with you, it's too late about immigration reform. They have to pass immigration reform, come out for Pell Grants, expand workers rights and other things or the Hispanic community will see right through any immigration bill.

It's been about twenty-five since Prop 187 passed in CA. When it did Hispanics were very close to being 50/50 in CA. They have remembered what the GOP tried to them and it's now about 70/30 and growing apart.

In addition to immigration, GOP leaders must publicly ostracize all the yahoos. Securing the border cannot be a fence. That would show Hispanics a hugely negative image.

Simply doing an immigration bill may stem the tide of losing Hispanic votes, but it won't gain much for the GOP.

They have to get on board with immigration reform. It is an absolute must or they are going to continue to be marginalized in national elections.

Totally agreed. They should accept just about anything that Obama proposes on that issue and just take it off the political map.

http://www.studiesweekly.com/vote/results.php

here are the results of a student mock election that my kid participated in. I think the power of the incumbancy definitely helped Obama with kids, but this map still must give republicans pause as they look 20 or 30 years into the future.

For what it is worth, at my kid's school in south carolina it was Romney 78% to Obama 22%.

I see the Republican party splitting. You'll have the ultra-conservative tea party people who will whine and complain they didn't go far right enough...the God, Guns, and Gays people. They'll pull further right. The other half will eventually pool together with the Libertarians, and will be fiscally conservative, but mostly abandon the radical social stances. The first will fade over time, the second will gain in strength and put the party back on the map.

How old is your kid? Curious how they did the sampling. I'd love to see more studies on the views of 5-17 year olds on the election. They really don't have much of a voice. If the sample includes high schools, most of them will be voting in 2016.

One way to look at the results is the power of incumbency and Obama's likability. Likability will be huge for Dems going forward. The Obamas will be central figures to the party for the next 20 years. Kids who grew up seeing Sasha and Malia may be more likely to like the Obamas.

Another way is that I think children tend to go Dem. Of course, the red states are interesting because the assumption is that those kids have parents who went heavy for Romney, yet on here the kids broke heavy the other way.

I see the Republican party splitting. You'll have the ultra-conservative tea party people who will whine and complain they didn't go far right enough...the God, Guns, and Gays people. They'll pull further right. The other half will eventually pool together with the Libertarians, and will be fiscally conservative, but mostly abandon the radical social stances. The first will fade over time, the second will gain in strength and put the party back on the map.

By 2016 (or at the latest 2020) Arizona will be a purple state. TX could go that way in the next twenty years if the GOP doesn't get it's act together.

Bobby Jindal's recent comments pretty much sum up what Conservatives need to do- "Stop being the stupid Party".

“It is no secret we had a number of Republicans damage our brand this year with offensive, bizarre comments — enough of that,” Jindal explained to Politico this week. “It’s not going to be the last time anyone says something stupid within our party, but it can’t be tolerated within our party. We’ve also had enough of this dumbed-down conservatism. We need to stop being simplistic, we need to trust the intelligence of the American people and we need to stop insulting the intelligence of the voters.”

“We’ve got to make sure that we are not the party of big business, big banks, big Wall Street bailouts, big corporate loopholes, big anything,” Gov. Bobby Jindal told Politico in an interview published on Tuesday. “We cannot be, we must not be, the party that simply protects the rich so they get to keep their toys.”

Jindal also said that Republicans needed to “reject identity politics” and fight for the vote of every single American.

How old is your kid? Curious how they did the sampling. I'd love to see more studies on the views of 5-17 year olds on the election. They really don't have much of a voice. If the sample includes high schools, most of them will be voting in 2016.

My kid is 6 and in first grade. The entire elementary school voted and was added into the national data. I'm not sure if all of the included schools were elementary schools or a mix of elem.,middle, and high school and obviously not every school in every state participated. Like you mentioned, incumbency and likeability likely played a big part in how kids voted. Not many of the elementary kids I know are well versed in the issues of the day, but I guess you could say the same thing about fox news watchers...zing!

The only way this would be news is if the kids voted for Obama. The combination of being in one of the reddest states, their parents and their teachers' opinions, no one should be surprised at the outcome or read anything at all into it.

The only way this would be news is if the kids voted for Obama. The combination of being in one of the reddest states, their parents and their teachers' opinions, no one should be surprised at the outcome or read anything at all into it.

RJ- I think you misintrepreted my post....the one school where my kid goes voted for Romney, but SC as a whole went for Obama. As did the entire south- you can see it if you click on the link. Obama won in an electoral landslide.

My bad I thought I saw something that said 78-22 Romney....

Red State's Erick Erickson (who Scarborough is always pimping) said on social media that the GOP should jettison the fiscal conservatives and keep the social conservatives. Good luck with that. A pure social conservative party is the quick road to complete extinction within ten years. It's a loopy fantasy just like secession-a smaller far right social conservative party can't survive on its own. Also ridiculous to see all the faux outrage from the right over the elections. They damn well knew they had a shaky shrinking coalition, otherwise they would have come down hard on all the birther loons over the last four years, but they knew if they did they'd lose all hope of winning nationally. The best thing that could have happened to the GOP (and America) in 2012 would have been nominating a Palin/Santorum ticket-they would have lost at least 40 states and killed the too moderate myth (McCain, Mitt) for good.

If the GOP goes full Tea Party in 2016, they will have lost 3 consecutive presidential elections, and the Dems will have appointed 6 Supremes by 2020. That's good for 30+ years of liberal domination of the court.

Back