• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Where is Tommy Elrod now?

The problem is that once you are in your 30s and 40s, all career opportunities build on the experience you have gained through your past work. Agree that he is done in football and broadcasting. So, Elrod is left with an entry level job in a crappy field of work that will take any candidate they can get or he is going to drive for Uber, but at best, his professional life is going to be awful and mind-numbing. He had two cushy jobs connected to football and Wake Forest and pissed them away. Every day sucks for him, and I am glad.

Would be curious to know how and if WF and ISP resolved the situation with Elrod. Did they reach a settlement where WF agreed to not pursue litigation (WF had claims against Elrod that a minimum could've bankrupted him just through the legal fees that he would've incurred to defend himself as Elrod stole WF trade secrets with malicious intent) against Elrod in return for Elrod never speaking publically about what happened? Confident that there must have been some negotiations between the school and Elrod to tie this up.

Well it was a WME-IMG problem since Elrod was working for their IMG-College division when this was caught last fall. Did the mother company really care? What ultimately got him of course was that he had MSD phones which could be traced with his texts and calls to all theses rogue schools like Army & Louisville with our intricate game plans. Not schemes and such mind you, but what # player would be in what position while at the goal line, let's say. Or Army knowing we were going to pass over the top instead of pounding them with the running game all day. He would go in during practice and call the other schools, right then to his coach contacts.

All that aside, he is in Winston, his wife I hear still has her job at Hanes Sara Lee, he coaches his kids at the Y, hangs out at his club and all is right in his world? Go figure??

Every assistant coach is on a one year contract. When there is head coaching turnover, hiring assistants that worked under the previous head coach is the exception. Clawson didn't fire Elrod, nor did he fire any of the other Grobe assistants whose contracts expired when Grobe left. Clawson hired the assistants that he felt best rounded out his staff. WF then hooked Elrod with their partner ISP and the investment entity that handles the WF endowment. Two sweet gigs. That is about as far from fired as you can get. Given these circumstances, the idea that Clawson or WF should've anticipated that Elrod (a WF alum and former WF football player) would use his position as radio analyst to steal WF confidential game plan info and share that info with opponents to harm WF football is ludicrous. All blame here lies with Tommy Elrod.

Last edited:
My kids are not playing on his team.

If this were Boston or Chicago, it seems like someone would show up at one of his pee wee games and heckle him in front of his kids. Wife is then embarrassed even more, and they are forced to move to Oklahoma or Washington state.

Not that I am advising the heckling, just thinking that it is odd something like that has not occurred already.

I mean that is your kid's coach?

I hope WF fans would have more class. Embarrassing his innocent children as a means to get retribution on him would be disgusting,

Every assistant coach is on a one year contract. When there is head coaching turnover, hiring assistants that worked under the previous head coach is the exception. Clawson didn't fire Elrod, nor did he fire any of the other Grobe assistants whose contracts expired when Grobe left. Clawson hired the assistants that he felt best rounded out his staff. WF then hooked Elrod with their partner ISP and the investment entity that handles the WF endowment. Two sweet gigs. That is about as far from fired as you can get. Given these circumstances, the idea that Clawson or WF should've anticipated that Elrod (a WF alum and former WF football player) would use his position as radio analyst to steal WF confidential game plan info and share that info with opponents to harm WF football is ludicrous. All blame here lies with Tommy Elrod.

Clawson himself said he had his doubts and was reassured by folks in the Wake athletic administration that he could trust Elrod.

Clawson himself said he had his doubts and was reassured by folks in the Wake athletic administration that he could trust Elrod.

He had given no reason to believe otherwise. It's not like he was some long time double agent.

Damn, calling out Donald Ross. Where you at DR?

I'm here. Why are you targeting me? I'm still critical of Wellman for hiring him. I'm likewise disappointed in Tommy now that evidence has come out from 3rd parties. But I don't believe anything our AD says. I still say there must be more to this story.

I'm here. Why are you targeting me? I'm still critical of Wellman for hiring him. I'm likewise disappointed in Tommy now that evidence has come out from 3rd parties. But I don't believe anything our AD says. I still say there must be more to this story.

There is usually more to every story. But the main story here is that this little man was pissed he did not get a job from Clawson as a football coach after the Grobe staff got fired. He then used his position as radio analyst to go in & out of practice to call in our plays & alignments, down to the minute detail. Not only giving plays and formations in specific situations such as goal line play calls, but what particular players we would have in the game at the time and where we would be positioned. Or that we had gone totally against the grain to surprise Army, not using our running game, but going over the top to attack their weak DB play. Only a vindictive little man would do this to his employer, where he played, coached & worked. There is no excuse in the football & coaching world.

There is usually more to every story. But the main story here is that this little man was pissed he did not get a job from Clawson as a football coach after the Grobe staff got fired. He then used his position as radio analyst to go in & out of practice to call in our plays & alignments, down to the minute detail. Not only giving plays and formations in specific situations such as goal line play calls, but what particular players we would have in the game at the time and where we would be positioned. Or that we had gone totally against the grain to surprise Army, not using our running game, but going over the top to attack their weak DB play. Only a vindictive little man would do this to his employer, where he played, coached & worked. There is no excuse in the football & coaching world.

I agree that seems to be the best guess. But Wellman won't let us draw our own conclusions from the report he read. I've been around enough to know that sometimes the best guess is wrong. And I don't trust Wellman. He told us to our faces that Jim Grobe resigned--an outright lie--among other things.

I agree that seems to be the best guess. But Wellman won't let us draw our own conclusions from the report he read. I've been around enough to know that sometimes the best guess is wrong. And I don't trust Wellman. He told us to our faces that Jim Grobe resigned--an outright lie--among other things.

OK, DR, let's assume for a minute that you are right and that there is 'more to the story'... Given the facts that we know to be true and that have been confirmed by third parties, etc., what else could we learn that would make it any better - or that would make him seem less like a unappreciative, vindictive scum-bag? What info are you looking for here?

One thing I thing I think the texts may show is Elrod showing his frustration openly to the AD.

What bothers me most about Wellman is how he runs his ship with cloak and dagger silence and obstinance in an era where that doesn't work. Suspend players? Not telling anyone why. "Department policy". Retaining Buzz? Why of course, you're clearly wrong for asking why.

This doesn't work in 2017. He needs to get over himself and start shaking hands. He's an old washed up baseball coach who somehow got an AD job at a bottom feeder Power 5 school that has failed under his watch. In short, he's really not that big a deal but thinks he is.

I think you are projecting, my friend ...

Decades long tenure as the AD of a P5 school that has won league championships in multiple sports and at least one national championship is #successing and probably a lot more #successing than being the Wolf of Greensboro, owning five Jiffy Lubes and a handful of laundromats. And don't think we don't know the point of those laundromats is to launder your dirty money;-) No offense, peace be with you.

All that deduced, you make an extremely good point on the transparency stuff. I just think you go way way too far. Point of fact - Of the last 10 coaching hires, there are probably two mistakes - women's volleyball and Bzd. And our facility upgrades are hard to begrudge. We could have been Rutgers or UConn. And there are some AD work you need to keep close to the vest, like coaching hires. Remember when NC State had to replace Sidney Lowe? Those type of bonehead weeks have lingering effects. Anyway, Wellman is close. You will be able to splooge in your office at the Gboro Jiffy Luge soon. Patience, Jordan Belfort. Patience.

First, let's be clear, no one gives a shit about anything besides football and men's basketball--though most of our succcess there came from coaches hired by another AD.

Second, I wasn't comparing my own successes to Ron. But if you want to go there, that's fine.

I gotta go check on one of my Jiffy Lubes.

What does it say that for whatever Elrod has done, I would much rather be around him than be around theReff?
Although I guess most of Winston seems to feel the same way.

Yes, I should have put your last sentence in quotes DR, to be clearer. You said, and I quote, "In short, he's really not that big a deal but he thinks he is." End quote.

I find that either incredibly self-deprecating or perhaps you are projecting? But I am sure when you walk into the Gboro Chili's, you are given a prominent seat and recognized. That is not nothin'. Unless you are no fan of the Smokehouse Combo.

I personally follow Men's hoops, Men's football, and Men's soccer. Men's soccer has the highest attendance in the country, I believe. They've won at least one ACC championship, a national championship, and they've played in three national championships under two different coaches. That is #successing. Men's football, under Wellman, has won an ACC championship, our only one since leather helmets. Men's basketball has had it's ups, downs, tragedy, ups, downs, crater, and is now tracking up. Not a trajectory to hang your hat on but in context of Prosser's death, not horrific. We finished 1st in the ACC once under Prosser but I don't believe we didn't do much in the ACC tourney.

We have appeared in 0 ACC Championship games and 1 Sweet 16 in the last 20 years. That's unacceptable in basketball.

Football we have performed on our historically horrible level over Wellman's tenue--with the exception of course of one short lived run.

Yes, I should have put your last sentence in quotes DR, to be clearer. You said, and I quote, "In short, he's really not that big a deal but he thinks he is." End quote.

I find that either incredibly self-deprecating or perhaps you are projecting? But I am sure when you walk into the Gboro Chili's, you are given a prominent seat and recognized. That is not nothin'. Unless you are no fan of the Smokehouse Combo.

I personally follow Men's hoops, Men's football, and Men's soccer. Men's soccer has the highest attendance in the country, I believe. They've won at least one ACC championship, a national championship, and they've played in three national championships under two different coaches. That is #successing. Men's football, under Wellman, has won an ACC championship, our only one since leather helmets. Men's basketball has had it's ups, downs, tragedy, ups, downs, crater, and is now tracking up. Not a trajectory to hang your hat on but in context of Prosser's death, not horrific. We finished 1st in the ACC once under Prosser but I don't believe we didn't do much in the ACC tourney.

1970 wasn't exactly the leather helmet era

Back