• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Where Should I Live?

Where Should I Live

• Total voters
To be clear, you could have a yard and shit in a borough of NY. It won't be the same as living in Manhattan, but it sounds like you'd rather be somewhere quieter and more suburban with less to actually do.

Fair point. Although like two of the times I visited I didn't rage and I was still kind of over it by day four. Too much hustle and bustle for this simpleton.

Online midtown manhattan is hustle and bustle - unless you really want a shitton of tourists, you live outside of the square of 14th - 59th and 8th ave to Park ave - everything else is broken out into neighborhoods and becomes a lot smaller.

Everyone I know that lives in Socal loves it and says they won't ever move - most people in nyc say the same thing. You really can't go wrong, it's just a matter of what you want. Unless you choose DC, thats just a bad choice - nothing wrong with DC, its just not in the same ballpark.

I've got a 6 year old and live in Manhattan, yards and shit are overrated - having friends, babysitters, parties, parks and anything else kid related within walking distance is a million times better than burb living with a kid - riverside park is my yard. It has a cafe with beer.

1441038424-mv5bmtg2mzmzmda4nl5bml5banbnxkftztgwmze3ndu0mde-v1-sx1537-sy682-.jpg

I've left downtown LA at 5 PM and gotten up to Pasadena in 20 minutes with barely any traffic. You're not getting to Fairfield, CT in 20 minutes. Plus there are a lot of firms in Century City which is a easy commute from livable places on the West Side

Century City is the best place to work because you can go through the back roads which barely have cars on them through cheviot hills. I worked there for years and only like a 10-15 min commute, tops.

Online midtown manhattan is hustle and bustle - unless you really want a shitton of tourists, you live outside of the square of 14th - 59th and 8th ave to Park ave - everything else is broken out into neighborhoods and becomes a lot smaller.

Everyone I know that lives in Socal loves it and says they won't ever move - most people in nyc say the same thing. You really can't go wrong, it's just a matter of what you want. Unless you choose DC, thats just a bad choice - nothing wrong with DC, its just not in the same ballpark.

Yeah see this is the heart of the problem. I was saying this when I lived in NYC and now I'm saying it now that I live in Socal. But I have to choose one

You'll miss the start of some sweet Wake basketball ESPN3 action if you're in LA.

For all the driving tales of LA, I don't think I've ever been in the car more than an hour going anywhere.

I think it's a three way tie. The OP doesn't get a passport stamp for any of these places.

And you commute?

Yep. Bus 50%, train 20%, bike 15%, car 15% or something like that. If you are smart about where you live, then it's a pretty easy city to get around. If you live in Encino and work in Pasadena, then your life is going to be a living hell.

I'm biased towards the East coast walkable city vibe, but I can't speak too much about LA's transportation culture having never spent time there.

Yep. Bus 50%, train 20%, bike 15%, car 15% or something like that. If you are smart about where you live, then it's a pretty easy city to get around. If you live in Encino and work in Pasadena, then your life is going to be a living hell.

Yep - my other office is in Encino - everyone has a 45+ commute, a couple do cars, most drive to a bus or train then take it in. LAX to Encino is miserable - then Encino to anywhere from that is miserable. From what I understand, all the jobs/offices are not in places people want to live - but living in manhattan beach is supposedly the bees knees.

Like someone else mentioned NYC is the shit but seems to get old quickly. Walking everywhere sucks.

The LA weather makes it very appealing.

Chicago is not on this list, but it would be my #1 choice.

Back