• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Where we are today....and how we got here.

http://www.vox.com/2015/7/30/9074761/conservative-media-republican-party

I haven't posted anything here in a couple of months, as I have mostly concluded that all the bickering is a waste of time. However, I ran across this article and just couldn't pass up posting it....because it does the best and most thorough job I have yet seen of explaining where we are today in this country and how we...and the Republican Party in particular....got to this sad state of affairs.

I really have nothing else to add to it....but I think it should be a must-read for anyone who is concerned about the future of government in this country, because it is a colossal mess right now and, as this article concludes, may well get even worse before it gets better.

It certainly will get worse if Hillary gets elected, or the Democrats version of Donald Trump....Bernie Sanders. Best I can tell Hillary's platform is that it is her turn, she thinks she deserves to be president.

Figured I would find you over here Bud when you slowed down on the baseball board. :)

Lol that Trump=Sanders

The candidate with bad hair?

I like Sanders every time I hear him, but when it's on the radio, i can't help picturing this (which may show my age):

aardvark.jpg

That was the 1st post I have made here since June 4th (the 47th anniversary of the day that Robert Kennedy was assassinated)....and this one is only the 2nd one I have made since that one.

BTW, Bernie Sanders would make the best president this country could have out of all the candidates who are running...on both sides. Voters in this country have a bad habit of rejecting the best candidates, though. Howard Dean is a perfect example. He would have made a fantastic president. One of the best in my lifetime.

Even better than George McGovern? lol

Looks like Biden may be joining the race. The democrat equivalent to Palin at best. Once again you will hold your nose and vote for Hillary just like you did with Obama, Bud. You have made up your mind that all Republicans are evil. We all know how you are when you have made up your mind, BKF. It's good that you now rarely post about politics. You are a perfect example of what is broken in America.

The article may be right that the multiplication of media outlets has provided a much greater voice for fringe groups of conservatism. Obviously though, the impact of the internet on politics will not be limited to this. The same thing may be happening to the Dems, only slower because the liberals acquired so much - dominant some might say -national media surface during the 1970s and 1980s. Bernie Sanders is not exactly mainstream. Even more interesting is the fact that so many of the new media surfaces on the internet are, or could be, interactive. Will that make for more democracy and more splintering? Probably, we'll see. Usually, we tend to think more democracy is better. But is it always? Can our winner take all system function with more than two parties? It's not working all that well now.

Last edited:
Anybody can find some internet site that says whatever they want to say. In a large Republican field, conservatives can find any candidate who says whatever they want to say especially if they have a lot of money. That may be what is happening. Candidates offering themselves up to the highest bidder. What other appeal could there be in being one of 17 candidates?

Ultimately, 16 of the 17 republican candidates are being paid to travel the country to promote their personal brand. Seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.

Yeah. That's a good way to put it. People use Hillary and Obama's fundraising prowess to show Democrat hypocrisy with respect to campaign financing, but that's not a good comparison. The lack of Democrat candidates is where you see the philosophical differences in campaign financing.

Yeah. That's a good way to put it. People use Hillary and Obama's fundraising prowess to show Democrat hypocrisy with respect to campaign financing, but that's not a good comparison. The lack of Democrat candidates is where you see the philosophical differences in campaign financing.

Meh. Both parties are taking millions of unregulated dollars from special interests and businesses that will come calling once they win.

Meh. Both parties are taking millions of unregulated dollars from special interests and businesses that will come calling once they win.

iron triangle in place for good now

it'll be interesting to watch the same thing develop in india, brazil, etc.

That was the 1st post I have made here since June 4th (the 47th anniversary of the day that Robert Kennedy was assassinated)....and this one is only the 2nd one I have made since that one.

BTW, Bernie Sanders would make the best president this country could have out of all the candidates who are running...on both sides. Voters in this country have a bad habit of rejecting the best candidates, though. Howard Dean is a perfect example. He would have made a fantastic president. One of the best in my lifetime.

it sounds like you just need to move to Vermont

The problem is that many of these political sites report as news things that are simply not true, or they omit critical details.

-Darren Wilson's blown orbital socket
-Chattanooga Navy officer facing charges for discharging his firearm
-Liberal Seattle CEO who instituted minimum salary of $70,000 finds business failing

Reasonably smart people have been duped into believing that only these conservative sites can be trusted.

Yeah. The Seattle CEO's policy hasn't even started yet. That report was based mostly on a butthurt millennial who quit and other businesses who dropped him because they wanted him to fail.

Back