• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Which is worse?

Which is worse?

• Harpsichords

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Button-fly

Votes: 57 77.0%
  • Doofus/Numbers/I just want to see the results

Votes: 7 9.5%

• Total voters
Piano is a percussion instrument, harpsichord is a string instrument. They're totally different. For baroque orchestras, there's no replacing a harpsichord. The next closest thing would be four guys plucking guitars, which would suck.

Just because people play Bach and Handel on piano, and add in their own dynamic variance and pedaling, doesn't mean those pieces are any less compelling on the instrument for which they were written. Tension/emotion was accomplished with rhythm and richness of chords (also, it's louder when you play more notes at once). :nerd:

Or are you just trolling the classical music nerds, knowing we'll rush to defend the harpsi with our glasses taped together over our noses?

I am very glad to hear somebody step to the plate for harpsichord. If only so I know whom to ignore from now on. :thumbsup:

I get that they're "irreplaceable in baroque orchestras," but that's like saying there is no "Final Countdown" without Mic Michaeli on the keytar. Ok, bad example, that keytar solo rocks. It's like saying the death rattle of my first born child wouldn't sound so good if the acoustics weren't perfect in here.

The harpsichord plays the soundtrack to my nightmares.

It's like...two whales raping each other.

If Sheldon Williams' face were a noise, it would be a harpsichord solo.

I'm curious about the contexts in which you've heard harpsichords. I don't think I've ever heard one outside of a baroque piece. Do you just hate baroque music? Do you prefer Bach on piano? Organ? Handel's Messiah????

I'm really tempted to link some youtubes, if only to torture you with that nightmarish, plucking sound. ;)

If the harpsichord were an event in history, it would be a cross between the Crusades and Balloon Boy.

Button flys are the worst. The other thing that tricks up the ladies are the pants that have the button on the inside in addition to the button or hook on the front and the zipper.

button fly jeans look better, they come off quicker, and they dont get caught like zippers. are you people's fine motor skills really that bad?

I'm curious about the contexts in which you've heard harpsichords. I don't think I've ever heard one outside of a baroque piece. Do you just hate baroque music? Do you prefer Bach on piano? Organ? Handel's Messiah????

I'm really tempted to link some youtubes, if only to torture you with that nightmarish, plucking sound. ;)

Massive Attack's theme song to House. Sounds pretty boss IMO

I could be mistaken, but I believe that the military uses button fly pants in BDUs.

Harpsichords are awesome. Imagine what the Brandenburg Concertos would be without them.

Last edited:

I'm basing this almost solely on the Oompa Loompa themes in the original Wonka and the mid-2000's Philip Glass neo-Baroque compositions for harpsichord. I wouldn't willingly listen to Bach for harpsichord when I could listen to his piano works.

I also prefer Romantic composers anyway.

after a few wears, they open with a pull. that's it.

as far as looks, in my experience they lay much better both when standing and sitting.

Philip Glass is the worst. No argument there.

I don't think Bach wrote for the piano, and certainly not his well known works. People just play them on the piano. So if you're gonna hate harpsi, you gotta hate Bach.

Also, I think most people prefer romantic composers at first, and come to appreciate the classical/baroque eras later. I still hate modern classical music, but maybe that's just the next step for me.

Philip Glass is the worst. No argument there.

I don't think Bach wrote for the piano, and certainly not his well known works. People just play them on the piano. So if you're gonna hate harpsi, you gotta hate Bach.

Fine by me. Gimme somebody with some real-life emotions like Beethoven.

Also, I think most people prefer romantic composers at first, and come to appreciate the classical/baroque eras later. I still hate modern classical music, but maybe that's just the next step for me.

I like Schubert and Mozart (and obvi Ludwig VON) as far as Classical composers go, and basically just Rameau when it comes to baroque (only his operas, LOL, none of that harpsi nonsense).

By modern classical, do you mean contemporary orchestral music or like 20th century and beyond, but still "classical"? Cause if it's the latter, you don't get into Mahler, Debussy, Shostakovich? Not even Leonard Bernstein?

Yeah, you're right, "hate modern classical" is too broad. There are some great 20th Century Composers (I'd add Gershwin to any short list). I was referring to atonal/dissonant experimental stuff....and freaking Philip Glass. But like I said, maybe some day I'll appreciate it.

I still think you're writing off too much of the old stuff, but to each his own! I reserve the right to troll unrelated posts of yours with youtubes of great baroque/classical pieces. :)

I could be wrong, but I think Bach did write a little for piano. I remember reading somewhere that he hated first iterrations, but later in life actually helped sell some of the first pianos and did some writing.

That said, most of what he wrote that people think are piano pieces were not written for piano.

The button fly is terrible. They're permanently unbuttoned on all personal articles of clothing that have them.

Back