• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who Does Your College Think Its Peers Are?

WakeForestRanger

Reaction score
"Colleges submit "comparison groups" to the U.S. Education Department each year for data analysis, effectively revealing which institutions they see as their peers. The Chronicle analyzed the connections among 1,595 four-year colleges and found that they tend to select aspirational peers. Some of the nation's most selective research universities and liberal-arts colleges were the most popular peers chosen."

http://chronicle.com/article/Peers-Interactive-Data/134262/

Seems like there should be more crossover between who Wake sees as a peer and who sees Wake as their peer. There are names on both lists I would agree with but If I were submitting for Wake my list would look different.

Interesting list. UVA picked 59 schools that it considers peers and its list is laughable. I can tell you that nobody at UVA considers Catholic University or Rutgers a peer.

20Colleges that selected this college as a peer

Alabama A&M U
Baylor U
Boston C
Bowdoin C
Bucknell U
C of Charleston
C of New Jersey
C of William and Mary
Furman U
Lehigh U
Northeastern U
Pepperdine U
Regent U
Rice U
Southern Methodist U
Stevens Inst of Tech
U of Phoenix - Atlanta Campus
U of Phoenix - Columbus Georgia Campus
U of Tulsa
Villanova U

"Aspirational peers" is a good term for what several schools did here.

Harvard only listed Princeton, Stanford, and Yale as peers. Stanford and Yale listed Harvard. Princeton didn't list any peers.

Only one of the schools that we considered a peer also considered us a peer.

Only one of the schools that we considered a peer also considered us a peer.

I was a little surprised by this as well, even though it's clear that schools were generally reaching upward for peers.

I was surprised Wake didn't pick schools like BC, Villanova, and Rice and was surprised schools like Richmond, GW and Vandy didn't pick us.

A more accurate method for determining these sorts of things would be the old "where else did you apply" criteria. I applied to Dartmouth, Tulane, Emory, and Vanderbilt. Maybe one or two others I can't recall. When you're looking for particular school-types and majors and settings, you're going to determine a best-fit for you. That says more about "birds of a feather" than after-the-fact perceptions.

Not everybody applies nationally or even regionally or to the same type of schools.

This peer reciprocity is interesting enough for exactly what it is. Who does Wake want to be like? Who wants to be like Wake?

Not everybody applies nationally or even regionally or to the same type of schools.

This peer reciprocity is interesting enough for exactly what it is. Who does Wake want to be like? Who wants to be like Wake?

well these schools seem to line right up with MSD:

Alabama A&M U
Baylor U
Boston C
Bowdoin C
Bucknell U
C of Charleston
C of New Jersey
C of William and Mary
Furman U
Lehigh U
Northeastern U
Pepperdine U
Regent U
Rice U
Southern Methodist U
Stevens Inst of Tech
U of Phoenix - Atlanta Campus
U of Phoenix - Columbus Georgia Campus

U of Tulsa
Villanova U

Yes, Ph, not "everybody" does that. However, a lot of people do. When looking at schools, most high schoolers and their parents have an idea of what type of school and major(s) they'd like to evaluate. And, as I said, that is a better indicator of "peer" than whatever methodology this site used to come up with Alabama A&M and U of Phoenix as peers for Wake.

I thought WFU's peer list was pretty reasonable and didn't show an embarrassing degree of upward reaching.

C of William and Mary
Dartmouth C
Davidson C
Duke U
Emory U
George Washington U
Tufts U
U of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
U of Notre Dame
U of Richmond
U of Virginia
Vanderbilt U
Washington and Lee U

Now, if you were to treat that as a list of peer athletic departments, it would a ROFLOL upward reach at this point. And Vandy doesn't even have an AD.

Yes, Ph, not "everybody" does that. However, a lot of people do. When looking at schools, most high schoolers and their parents have an idea of what type of school and major(s) they'd like to evaluate. And, as I said, that is a better indicator of "peer" than whatever methodology this site used to come up with Alabama A&M and U of Phoenix as peers for Wake.

This site is showing who the institutions self selected as their peers. So the methodology is pretty simple, they're just reporting what the institutions themselves said.

ETA: the point being that Alabama A&M and U of Phoenix are trying to claim WFU as a peer, which is laughable, not that anybody else actually believes it.

ETA 2: Wake and all schools track cross-applications, so Wake has a pretty good idea the other schools that prospects are applying to. It would be interesting to see how that list lines up with the list that Wake self-selects as its peer group.

Last edited:
This site is showing who the institutions self selected as their peers. So the methodology is pretty simple, they're just reporting what the institutions themselves said.

Yes, that is obvious. However there is a truer value in what the students who apply reveals than what an institution views as its peers. The latter is more self-serving, though certainly in WF's case seems reasonable.

I would consider our fellow Colonial Group members to be peers as well as the consortium we started last fall for online classes.

Interesting. I think State's list is a little optimistic but the "other colleges that list you" is pretty much spot on.

North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC

16 Colleges selected as peers by this college

Cornell U
Georgia Inst of Tech
Iowa State U
Michigan State U
Ohio State U
Penn State, U Park
Purdue U, West Lafayette
Texas A&M U, College Station
U of California, Davis