• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who Here Has a Net Worth of Over One Million USD

Do you have a net worth (net of debt you owe) of over $1 million USD

• Yes

Votes: 22 19.3%
  • No

Votes: 92 80.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, obviously Dirk.

I'm going to post another poll and ask how many people net of their primary residence and all debt have $1 MM saved. I bet our numbers drop big time then. 20% on this poll is still surprising though IMO

Then I'll poll who makes 1 MM plus a year in wages. That should be a very small number.

I'd wager there is no one on this board who makes $1MM a year. I'm sure there are plenty of wake grads who do, but there is something about achieving that level of financial success and posting on internet message boards...they usually don't go together.
My guess is our (board regulars or semi regulars) top earners make somewhere in the neighborhood of 250-300K in NC dollars. Maybe we have some doctors that pull a little more or a few outliers, but for the most part we're talking about 95% <45 y/o and probably 75% <35 and they obviously have enough free time to post on boards so we're not talking about wunderkins or something, so excluding family money I'd think my guess is probably fairly accurate.

I'd wager there is no one on this board who makes $1MM a year. I'm sure there are plenty of wake grads who do, but there is something about achieving that level of financial success and posting on internet message boards...they usually don't go together.
My guess is our (board regulars or semi regulars) top earners make somewhere in the neighborhood of 250-300K in NC dollars. Maybe we have some doctors that pull a little more or a few outliers, but for the most part we're talking about 95% <45 y/o and probably 75% <35 and they obviously have enough free time to post on boards so we're not talking about wunderkins or something, so excluding family money I'd think my guess is probably fairly accurate.

I know two people total with ties to Wake that make over a million a year. I think this post is accurate.

I'm sure there are plenty of Wake grads who make > $1 million a year. I'd be willing to bet that at least 1 person on the boards does, but it's probably a very infrequent sports board poster who wouldn't see a poll over here.

Wake has to have at least a few partners in one of the hundred or so big law firms with profits per partner over $1 million/year. Wake has to have several big time doctors netting that much. Obviously Chris Paul and Tim Duncan make much more than that. The guys who founded college humor went to Wake, they probably don't make that on a yearly basis, but the site is probably worth around $20 million.

Wake has some alums on Wall Street in pretty senior positions, as well as some seniorish partners at the Big 4 accounting firms. I imagine Wake has some really successful doctors and lawyers as well.

Jim Woolery is a Wake alum and was named head of JP Morgan's North American M&A group earlier this year.

I do feel like Wake is lacking in self-made rich ppl, but maybe I just don't know of them.

I'm sure there are plenty of Wake grads who make > $1 million a year. I'd be willing to bet that at least 1 person on the boards does, but it's probably a very infrequent sports board poster who wouldn't see a poll over here.

Wake has to have at least a few partners in one of the hundred or so big law firms with profits per partner over $1 million/year. Wake has to have several big time doctors netting that much. Obviously Chris Paul and Tim Duncan make much more than that. The guys who founded college humor went to Wake, they probably don't make that on a yearly basis, but the site is probably worth around $20 million.

Doctors don't make that kind of scratch anymore.

$120k a year at 30. I know it's possible, but damn, I don't know anyone doing that. I'm 29 and making $52k (if you adjust for my pension and stuff, it's probably close to $60k). Granted, I work in local government so wages are lower, but I don't think $120k a year is very common.

It just depends on the field you're in, and where you live.

Good computer engineers in NYC/Austin/Bay Area/DC will be at $120k+ by 30, and if not it's really a sign your career isn't going anywhere.

See this article. .08% of the population claimed an AGI of more than $1 MM a year. That's about 350K returns. I suspect we may get 1 or 2 who post here, but certainly no more.

About 3% claimed 250K or more. I suspect several folks here make that much a year.

http://www.lazymanandmoney.com/how-many-people-make-more-than-250000-per-year/

I'd agree - I imagine there are several people on this board in the 250k+ a year category. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't.

It just depends on the field you're in, and where you live.

Good computer engineers in NYC/Austin/Bay Area/DC will be at $120k+ by 30, and if not it's really a sign your career isn't going anywhere.

Save for Austin, 120K isn't the same 120K most people here are talking about.
I think we (or maybe it's just me) tend to talk in North Carolina dollars. At best 120K in NYC/DC/SF translates to 80K in NC and maybe less

I make even less.

Granted, I won't have a master's, I am living in a small rural area, and my degree is in English, but I don't even come close to the life plan of an OGD. I'll be lucky to make his starting salary in 5-10 years. And I have more debt, a long-distance girlfriend, and may be the only one OGD's age here that drinks more whiskey than he does... I'm in trouble. :D

Townie is smarter than me for the time being (until I can artificially inflate my intelligence via nanotechnology) and has more noble pursuits and purpose :)

Back