• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who is more responsible for the 2006 ACC Championship?

Who is more responsible for the 2006 ACC Championship?

• Grobe

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Skinner

Votes: 50 72.5%

• Total voters
Not really. We had to scrap the entire offense after Mauk went down. We built an entire offense around misdirection and protecting our R-Fr QB. Yeah, the defense made a lot of plays and Swank was unbelievable, but you have to give the coaches credit.

We were conservative during that season because it worked. Apparently Grobe felt he struck some winning formula, and has kept doing it. He gets an F for the past several years for not being able to adapt. And for not canning Lobo.

Not to mention we went through 3 or 4 tailbacks getting injured and finished our season with a wide receiver playing tailback and doing it well.

That was great coaching AND great players. It was the perfect storm for Wake football.

Reggie Ball

and Xavier Lee and Drew Weatherford and Daniel Evans and Joe Dailey and Sam Hollenbach. Horrible crop of QBs that year. Even Matty Ice got in on the act and helped our asses out.

Riley was second-team all ACC that year as a frosh. Says it all

Last edited:
Going for it on 4th & Goal from the <1 against Maryland was a TOUGH decision that year...Grobe went for it, Belton ran it in, we secured the Atlantic.

But bottom line, the players make the plays...Skinner is a LEGEND

I maintain a lot of that was the coaching staff holding the reins so tight that they never gave the offense a chance. (In their defense, in 2006, they could mostly get away with it.)

Would not disagree with that thought process.

Going for it on 4th & Goal from the <1 against Maryland was a TOUGH decision that year...Grobe went for it, Belton ran it in, we secured the Atlantic.

Wait a sec.

We actually handed the ball to a fullback?

That's insane!

We only did it about 50 times against Miami in '08

Swank. Anytime you know points are a given if you get to the 35 yard line it makes it very easy on the rest of the squad. The dude was MONEY!

Not really. We had to scrap the entire offense after Mauk went down. We built an entire offense around misdirection and protecting our R-Fr QB. Yeah, the defense made a lot of plays and Swank was unbelievable, but you have to give the coaches credit.

We were conservative during that season because it worked. Apparently Grobe felt he struck some winning formula, and has kept doing it. He gets an F for the past several years for not being able to adapt. And for not canning Lobo.

This is why Grobe is the correct answer. His coaching style was responsible for getting the most out of that particular team. His coaching style is now responsible for making me want to stab my eyes out.

Swank.

Imagine putting Swank in most of the games we have lost since he graduated...changes the whole game. Teams knew if we got it across the 50 yard line we most likely were scoring.

And the defense was unbelievable that year, but it's easier to go for it when you know you have a guy on offense who is going to score if he runs onto the field.

I didn't ask who was responsible. We all know what Swank and the defense added to this team. I am asking who was more responsible out of Grobe or Skinner.

Back