• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who is/was the 2nd worst Wellman hire?

Did Wellman hire Caldwell in his first year or did Hooks? That's a pretty impressive example of a failed hire.

Even worse, IMO, were the legions of posters who were defending his asshole self. Casstevens is unequivocally a piece of shit.

Wait who defended hiring Casstevens? I can't remember a single poster doing that?

Caldwell was the worst, Buzz was second worst. Caldwell is a great guy and was a great representative of the University, but had more years than Buzz to ruin the football program. Other than his lack of coaching ability, Buzz's problem is how he can't relate to people, can't project hope for the future, and has damaged the University's markee athletic program.

Caldwell was the worst, Buzz was second worst. Caldwell is a great guy and was a great representative of the University, but had more years than Buzz to ruin the football program. Other than his lack of coaching ability, Buzz's problem is how he can't relate to people, can't project hope for the future, and has damaged the University's markee athletic program.

Did you just say that Caldwell ruined our football program? Are you referring to the program with the 2nd to worst all time record and 5 bowl appearances in its 100 year history? Sure, champ, Caldwell really pushed us to new depths.

If you look at Caldwells entire career path, it's pretty clear that people consider him a decent coach. He took us to a bowl game and left the program in better shape than he inherited it.

Ronald has presided over the most successful period of athletics in the school's history, so that counts for something. That said, if the rumors that he's left us in a financial mess that prevents us from properly rectifying the Bzzzz disaster are true, then guy needs to go.

If you look at Caldwells entire career path, it's pretty clear that people consider him a decent coach. He took us to a bowl game and left the program in better shape than he inherited it.

Ronald has presided over the most successful period of athletics in the school's history, so that counts for something. That said, if the rumors that he's left us in a financial mess that prevents us from properly rectifying the Bzzzz disaster are true, then guy needs to go.

Apeshit, do you ever deliver good news?

Caldwell: Inexperienced when hired, Bad record, great guy, left us in a pretty decent position.
[Redacted]: Track record if failure when hired, Bad record, dick, leaving us in a pretty bad position.

[Redacted] was the worse hire.

I remember ChrisL68 being one of the Randy defenders. I apologize if I'm wrong.

The correct answer is Rem IMHO.

Caldwell, because he kept him at least 2 years too long, even though he was a great person and has obviously proved himself in the pro football game. Rem is an obvious choice also. Annie Bennett with her dividing the track program like she did.

Getting rid of Dino, trying to get rid of Diane Dailey and her going on to win 2 ACC women's golf title right afterwards is a hoot. Getting rid of GDO after 2 ACC titles & getting rid of George Greer with his 600 baseball wins at Wake & 3 ACC titles, just because he didn't like him or wanted to hire his own baseball coach. And firing him after 1 losing season after all that with what he has let Bz, Caldwell & Rem do vs what Dino did accomplish is just an enigma of the man being able to run a program competently.

I said that based on the rulings of the NC CPA board and the SEC compared to rulings in other financial accounting fraud cases, that Casstevens likely wasn't one of the masterminds of the fraud and must have had some exculpatory evidence to the such as the board would typically permanently revoke the license in such a situation. I am pretty sure I referred to his involvement as likely being that of a stooge without having any knowledge of the specifics of the case.

I also said that the sanctions were a serious tarnish to his reputation as a CPA and that Wake shouldn't have hired him for any kind of public position.

If that is defending the hire, then so be it.

Last edited:
Well, we've seen enough to evaluate 2 of Wellman's football hires and 3 of his basketball hires.

Can't give him better than a 60% (Grobe, Skip, and Dino), but not really reasonable to give him credit for Dino seeing as how he fired him after 3 years.

Caldwell and [Redacted] were obviously disastrous. Although the former wasn't necessarily a bad hire.

Well, we've seen enough to evaluate 2 of Wellman's football hires and 3 of his basketball hires.

Can't give him better than a 60% (Grobe, Skip, and Dino), but not really reasonable to give him credit for Dino seeing as how he fired him after 3 years.

Caldwell and [Redacted] were obviously disastrous. Although the former wasn't necessarily a bad hire.

Wasn't a good hire record-wise either. Probably the worst record in Wake football history as far as conference games go. Then RW just didn't pull the trigger fast enough. But like I said, a great person, etc, just not a good college football coach and not ready at the time for the job.

It would be my position that the AD of Wake Forest cannot afford to make any bad hires, much less disastrous ones. When a coaching disaster hits Wake we plummet like a rock, whereas the bigger schools still have a recruiting base that can maintain the program. One disastrous hire by a Wake AD should be enough to cost him the job. Two such hires make him an incompetent boob on top of losing his job. And I would class Dino as a "bad hire" that just turned out somewhat okay despite Dino's prior record.

Caldwell went to a bowl game in his 2nd last year and left good talent for Grobe. Also keep in mind that we had a beloved basketball coach die months before the season started.

Ronald Wellman.

I don't get the Casstevens hate. Can't someone explain.

Google his name and Krispy Kreme. Dude should be a felon.

I haven't attended a Wake sporting event since news of his hiring broke, and I won't until he's fired or dies. Either outcome is cool with me.

Ron hiring him just because he wrote big checks while he was fleecing KK, makes Ron a piece of shit.

I'm kind of cool with them both stroking out. Fuck them both.

(it feels good to let the hate out)

I don't get the Casstevens hate. Can't someone explain.

Donut (A) holes get very sweet deal:

By Jim Longworth

Last week the SEC reached a settlement with three former Krispy Kreme executives, resulting in fines and a promise by current management to refrain from misconduct in the future.

Donut CEO Scott Livengood was ordered to pay $467,000 for what the SEC termed “disgorgement of illgotten gains,” as well as $75,000 in civil penalties, for a total of $542,000.

Meanwhile, former COO John Tate and CFO Randy Casstevens were made to pay $146,000 and $103,000 respectively in total settlement money. Together, the three men must pay the government $783,000 for their misdeeds.

That may sound like stiff punishment until you consider that while they were riding high back in 2003, this gang sold 324,000 shares of Krispy Kreme stock at a purchase price of no less than $40. That means they pocketed at least $13 million while driving stock prices (and the company’s reputation) into the ground. Thus, the SEC fines amounted to less than 8 percent of those “illgotten gains.” As such, the government has missed a golden opportunity to make an example of these men who represented the kind of unabashed greed that was left unchecked throughout much of this decade.

It wasn’t always that way in this country, or with Krispy Kreme, whose mission was to make an honest profit from the sale of a guilty pleasure. As a boy I recall looking forward to when the neon sign outside Krispy Kreme’s Stratford road store would flash the words, “Hot Now,” signaling to hungry customers that we could snag some fresh glazed donuts right off the conveyer belt. But the sweet smell turned sour for Krispy Kreme under the unable hand of Scott Livengood. Driven by a Napoleonic-like complex to conquer the world, Livengood was hell-bent on expanding the company
at breakneck speed. Had he done so honestly, then his only crime would have been one of blind enthusiasm for a great product, and a naivete of the marketplace, which, at that time, was buying less fatty foods. But Livengood’s expansion was tainted by voodoo accounting practices, and by deliberate manipulation of stock prices, which went from $48.90 in August 2003 to just $5.74 by December 2005. Before the SEC entered the picture, though, Krispy Kreme fired Livengood’s team and launched an internal investigation. That triggered a shareholder revolt, which resulted in Krispy Kreme paying out $75 million to end a class-action suit.

The scheme by the Livengood gang was brilliant. Back in 2003, Krispy Kreme policy stated that no bonuses would be paid to senior officers unless the company’s quarterly earnings exceeded earnings per share by at least one penny. Scotty then engineered a plan to inflate those earnings and place stock prices at a much higher level thanthey actually were. When the manipulation scam was at its peak, the lawless firm of Livengood, Tate and Casstevens sold their shares and made a killing before the sugar hit the fan. To date, none of the three perpetrators has issued a public apology for their actions, and that may not set well with shareholders who could launch yet another class action based upon the full SEC probe. And, according to the Winston-Salem Journal, some financial analysts predict that a federal probe into criminal wrongdoing may not be far behind. But whether additional litigation or investigations are forthcoming, the once proud Krispy Kreme name has been irreparably sullied by Livengood.

People are understandably angry that the SEC let Scott and his boys off with a slap on the wrist. By all rights they should have been made to forfeit their entire fortunes and let the government distribute that money to the people they screwed. And they should do jail time too. After all, Martha Stewart served five months for her victimless crime. The least we can do for these donut makers is to give them an even dozen.

That means they pocketed at least $13 million dollars while driving stock prices (and the company’s reputation) into the ground.

Jim Longworth is the host of “Triad Today,” airing on Fridays at 6:30 a.m. on ABC 45 (cable channel 7) and Sundays at 10 p.m. on WMYV (cable channel 15).

Back