• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who should kiss the king's ring and ask for forgiveness?

Hatch and Wellman dismantled it for throwing a rowdy party. But then what the fuck are we doing in college if we don't go to some rowdy parties? Ease off, Nathan and Ron.

Was this dismantling in 2005, when the LOSER class of high school all-americans and international stars failed to continue our national championship streak or in 2015 when the losers failed to defend their conference championship from the year before?

In November of 2012 the ACC was in a very vulnerable position. Maryland announced they were leaving the conference and headed to the Big Ten. There was discussion of FSU, Clemson, and others going to the SEC, as well as UVA, UNC, and Duke going to the Big 10. There were a lot of pieces up in the air, and Wake Forest was not in a good position. Ron Wellman (along with a few other key ACC leaders, including Nathan Hatch) worked over the next year to bring Notre Dame to the ACC, which in turn solidified the conference and led to the grant of rights deal. In my opinion, keeping the ACC intact was the most important athletics move for Wake Forest since joining the conference in 1953. I think many forget or downplay this crucial part of our history when assessing Wellman's time as our athletic director.

Here is coverage of the initial announcement regarding Notre Dame joining the ACC - you'll see Wellman heavily quoted. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/spor...ill-leave-big-east-to-join-the-acc/57757006/1

In November of 2012 the ACC was in a very vulnerable position. Maryland announced they were leaving the conference and headed to the Big Ten. There was discussion of FSU, Clemson, and others going to the SEC, as well as UVA, UNC, and Duke going to the Big 10. There were a lot of pieces up in the air, and Wake Forest was not in a good position. Ron Wellman (along with a few other key ACC leaders, including Nathan Hatch) worked over the next year to bring Notre Dame to the ACC, which in turn solidified the conference and led to the grant of rights deal. In my opinion, keeping the ACC intact was the most important athletics move for Wake Forest since joining the conference in 1953. I think many forget or downplay this crucial part of our history when assessing Wellman's time as our athletic director.

Here is coverage of the initial announcement regarding Notre Dame joining the ACC - you'll see Wellman heavily quoted. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/spor...ill-leave-big-east-to-join-the-acc/57757006/1

+1

I completely agree that Wellman overall has done a very good job.

Buzz was a failure absolutely. In the end Skips death is the crux of all of this. Just a tragic situation and setback for all of us. What a great guy!

The issue now is that Wake is just way too corporate. The university overall has become out of touch with its North Carolina roots. There has been a tremendous amount of push back which has been heard.

Moving forward in my opinion , the best thing for athletics is to deal with the coliseum area and Deacon Blvd. no excuse for this. It's not solely a Wake issue, and our focus has moved to downtown and the new bio engineering program.

One of the reasons we weren't in a good position was the walking, talking turd he hired to coach our basketball team was driving our program into the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the reasons we weren't in a good position was the walking, talking turd he hired to coach our basketball team was driving our program into the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[Redacted] was a terrible hire, but conference realignment at the P5 level was driven by football. We were in a bowl the previous year and ACC champs 5 years earlier, but what really matters and why we were in a position of weakness was because we were (are) the smallest P5 school and located in a small TV market.

hiring [Redacted] was bad enough. the sh!tshow that ronnie created to prop himself (and [Redacted]) up was what really keeps me anti wellman.

RW would've helped himself with the fanbase if he had simply admitted that he f-d up with [name redacted] hire. Instead, he used terms like "historical competitiveness" and implicitly blamed Dino and even more incredibly the WF fans for [name redacted]'s incompetence. Wellman assumed that a large portion of the WF fanbase was stupid enough to buy his excuses for [name redacted]'s failures. Everybody f's up sometimes, and people will typically get past a big mistake as long as you have made good decisions as well (which Wellman has). Those that support WF will always have a hard time with the memory of [name redacted] crashing and burning while RW insisted on acting like [name redacted] was not the problem with WF basketball.

Last edited:

[Redacted] was a terrible hire, but conference realignment at the P5 level was driven by football. We were in a bowl the previous year and ACC champs 5 years earlier, but what really matters and why we were in a position of weakness was because we were (are) the smallest P5 school and located in a small TV market.

Obligatory 'Rafi will defend the AD', but these are good, contextual points.

I also feel the pain of the Men's Basketball [hopefully not permanent] death, but there is a much bigger picture to consider when evaluating Wellman.

RW would've helped himself with the fanbase if he has simply admitted that he f-d up with [name redacted] hire. Instead, he used terms like "historical competitiveness" and implicitly blamed Dino and even more incredibly the WF fans for [name redacted]'s incompetence. Wellman assumed that a large portion of the WF fanbase was stupid enough to buy his excuses for [name redacted]'s failures. Everybody f's up sometimes, and people will typically get past a big mistake as long as you have made good decisions as well (which Wellman has). Those that support WF will always have a hard time with RW when [name redacted] was crashing and burning and RW insisted on acting like [name redacted] was not the problem with WF basketball.

And this.

What happened to Field Hockey?

Totally disrespected a 3 time Natty championship coach just like he did our women's golf coach. Women's golf coach was not being re-upped, even after winning BTB ACC titles in 94-95--got Dr. Hearn to do the contract, went on a few years later to win back to back ACC titles in 2009 & 2010. 29 seasons, 24 Regionals & 14 NCAA's to her credit--ACC COY in 94 & 95, plus 09 & 10--2001 National COY & HOF--quite a resume for Coach Dailey! And a great person.

He did the same to Odom & Greer and they had 2 & 3 ACC titles with 240 wins & over 600 wins each.

Greer was 4 and 20 in the ACC his last year

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reff please stop with the George Greer revisionist history. Perhaps, you are friends with the guy, but the program had collapsed when WF went another direction in 2004. At that point, Greer coached WF for 17 years, and the bottom had fallen out of the program. He was almost 60 when WF gave him the gold parachute. He never coached college baseball again. It was time to move on. No problem if you want to complain about WF's subsequent hires, but keeping George Greer was not the answer.

Wake Baseball is going to have a very hard time competing because of the school's position on accepting (not accepting) junior college credits. Quite a few good baseball players go Juco because it gives them an extra shot at MLB draft. Many of these guys are qualified to go to four year schools out of HS, but choose juco because of the draft rules.

Wake doesn't accept their juco credits, thus they can't come to Wake for one or two years. That is a major self iimposed handicap on the Wake baseball program. Because of it, I think that squeezing into the ACC tournament and the occassional (rare) appearance in the NCAA tournament is about as much as is reasonable to expect.

Back