• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who should start at Quarterback against Virginia Tech?

Who should be the starting Quarterback in two weeks against Clemson?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’m voting Ph. Heard Clawson promised him the starting spot for this game based on his Spring semester lectures 1.5 years ago (or, technically 2 years ago though not really two full years).

Mitch Griffis is our QB at this point. He starts. Mitch gets off track, we need to see Kern which I think will happen pretty quickly, the opportunity anyway if Clawson is not too stubborn to change. We have put our eggs in Mitch's basket and he needs to play in or out and Kern has to be ready. Kern has been around long enough that if he were the easy answer, we would have seen him, but he needs to have the opportunity and I hope he runs with it. Mitch is not a long term answer talent wise to our competing at the level we want, but we have no one ready in the pipeline past Kern.. Looking at a freshman to lead the team is not ideal. This is not all on the QB, the OL is not good, but we need someone to step up and at least be efficient. We need to get and keep talented QBs on the roster. Our recent commits offer promise but we have to find a way to compete until they get here.and are ready.

Looking at a freshman to lead is not ideal but that’s the Wake way. Over the last 20 years, the following QBs have started as freshmen (mid or late season first starts with asterisk):

Mauk*
Skinner
Price*
Wolford
Hinton
Hartman

(Going mostly by memory so fill in who I’ve forgotten)

Starting a freshman in Game 5 is not crazy for Clawson.

Mitch should get the start. This program is committed to him whether we like it or not and he needs the experience. Clawson should put in Kern if Mitch performs poorly like we have seen in the last four games though. That would give Mitch extra incentive to work on improving.

Mitch should get the start. This program is committed to him whether we like it or not and he needs the experience. Clawson should put in Kern if Mitch performs poorly like we have seen in the last four games though. That would give Mitch extra incentive to work on improving.
Why does Mitch need to perform poorly again for Kern to get a chance? I'm guessing we are the only FBS school that continues to play a QB with 6 ints and however many fumbles and sacks (against bad teams I might note) that clearly cost the team a game and should have cost us another. Kern to start no doubt.

Looking at a freshman to lead is not ideal but that’s the Wake way. Over the last 20 years, the following QBs have started as freshmen (mid or late season first starts with asterisk):

Mauk*
Skinner
Price*
Wolford
Hinton
Hartman

(Going mostly by memory so fill in who I’ve forgotten)

Starting a freshman in Game 5 is not crazy for Clawson.
Go back 25 years to add in C.J. Leak. Basically ever three years Wake starts a freshman at quarterback.

Griffis has been a turnover machine. 6 Ints and 2 lost fumbles. He could have had more lost fumbles (ODU 2 total fumbles and GT 3 total fumbles). If the QB can't protect the ball, a change needs to be made.

Absolutely - But is throwing Kern into the fire with a start at Clemson the prudent move with winnable games remaining on the schedule with competent QB play?

Whether a QB change should be made and whether it should be made for the game on 10/7 are two different questions.

Go back 25 years to add in C.J. Leak. Basically ever three years Wake starts a freshman at quarterback.

I attended that game at Clemson (during the 2000 season off the top of my head) where Leak sustained his brutal injury

Back