• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Whoa, Creigh Deeds stabbed, son fatally shot in home

BarcaDeac

Reaction score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...419ac4-512c-11e3-9fe0-fd2ca728e67c_story.html

Virginia state Sen. R. Creigh Deeds (D-Bath) was stabbed multiple times and seriously injured early Tuesday in an assault at his house in Bath County, west of Charlottesville, Virginia State Police said. His 24-year-old son, Gus Deeds, was fatally shot inside the home.

Corinne Geller, a spokeswoman for the Virginia State Police, said a news conference that police were not looking for any suspects, an indication that the altercation involved only the senator and his son.

this is crazy

First reports were that the son stabbed the father before turning the gun on himself. Very sad.

Yeah, my delegate's response this morning said that Creigh had been very dedicated to trying to help his son. Son had a high GPA in HS and had been attending Bill & Mary off and on over the last 5 years, and Bill & Mary acknowledged he had left school last month. Sounds like Creigh's son had some serious emotional issues. I hope Creigh recovers. I've met him a few times - 1st time was when he was running for state senator and noticed I was wearing a Wake sweatshirt and came up to chat with me - turns out he was at Wake Law School the same time I was an undergrad. Good guy and effective in the VA Senate.

Update from the Daily Regress on the son:

A source told the Richmond Times-Dispatch that an emergency custody order had been issued for Deeds' son, Austin Creigh “Gus” Deeds on Monday, which allowed mental health officials to hold him for up to four hours to determine if he should be held under a temporary detention order. That order would have allowed him to be held for up to 72 hours.

Gus Deeds was evaluated Monday by the Rockbridge Area Community Services Board in Lexington but the source said no psychiatric bed was available, which is why Gus Deeds was released.

Update from the Daily Regress on the son:

A source told the Richmond Times-Dispatch that an emergency custody order had been issued for Deeds' son, Austin Creigh “Gus” Deeds on Monday, which allowed mental health officials to hold him for up to four hours to determine if he should be held under a temporary detention order. That order would have allowed him to be held for up to 72 hours.

Gus Deeds was evaluated Monday by the Rockbridge Area Community Services Board in Lexington but the source said no psychiatric bed was available, which is why Gus Deeds was released.

Ugh...

Don't even know what to say. I've met Creigh a couple times and he is just the nicest person. Tragic.

Looks like he's been upgraded to fair condition, so should pull through. UVA is where you want to be for chest trauma.

What an awful situation. I, too have met Creigh and echo what everyone else said...nice guy. So tragic on so many levels. Mental health needs a lot more attention in our world.

This, this, and this.

http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/l...cle_41a00cb2-5197-11e3-81be-001a4bcf6878.html

Today's Daily Regress story on the TDO issue. Apparently, the number of psychiatric beds available in the Cville area has been reduced from 80 to 23 over the last decade. I'm pretty sure that when Martha Jefferson relocated from downtown to Pantops 2 years ago, they got rid of their psych ward. I'm guessing psych wards aren't the best $$ makers. And sounds like from those numbers that UVA has reduced theirs as well.

Back