• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Whom should the Panthers draft?

There has been so much about the difficulty of drafting QBs anywhere in the draft, let alone the #1 overall. But I wonder if there are other pressures based on the team's performance last year. The QB situation is obviously dreadful, so if Newton is the pick they can say they addressed it even if he turns out to be a bust. There are probably many fans who wouldn't be particularly excited about a DT #1 overall, even if he would be the "correct" pick. But taking Newton will have people taking about the Panthers again and could have an effect on ticket sales. To me it is this pressure (to make a splash and address the QB) that is driving all the signs pointing to the pick being Newton.

There is only one other time that I have been completely convinced that a top pick would be a bust. His name was Jamarcus.

Pretty much everyone else has covered my concerns. He was in a one read offense, has no idea how to play in a pro-style offense, and runs like he is asking for a major knee injury.

In my opinion Cam Newton is Dante Culpepper Extra Lite.

An extra lite old Vikings Dante isn't too bad. Extra lite Lions Dante Culpepper is what I'm expecting

I guess the hope with Newton rests on him being Vince Young without the mental fragility?

Kiper and McShay both say it will be Newton. Kiper says it SHOULD be AJ Green, while McShay says it should be Dareus.

There has been so much about the difficulty of drafting QBs anywhere in the draft, let alone the #1 overall. But I wonder if there are other pressures based on the team's performance last year. The QB situation is obviously dreadful, so if Newton is the pick they can say they addressed it even if he turns out to be a bust. There are probably many fans who wouldn't be particularly excited about a DT #1 overall, even if he would be the "correct" pick. But taking Newton will have people taking about the Panthers again and could have an effect on ticket sales. To me it is this pressure (to make a splash and address the QB) that is driving all the signs pointing to the pick being Newton.

Spot on.

Not only Newton's talent, but also the buzz/excitement he would bring, at least initially, is something that would be exponentially valuable if he does take off. Of course, Dareus and Peterson would be more likely to have pro-bowl careers, but being a Panthers fan I can't help but imagine if we pass on Newton that he'll be a star in his second season in the NFL and we'll all get the pleasure of watching Clausen collapse in the pocket and throw more balls into the stands than at anyone on the field. That being said, I'm not going to be overly emotional with whomever we pick. Just bear it and hope for the best.

Yeah, AJ Green or even Julius Jones would be better than Cambo.

I'm not sold on Dareus over Fairley.

I think Fairley is a game changer like Sapp or Richard Seymour, whereas Dareus is a Marcus Stroud run stopper type.

Exactly my point. The Panthers "sold out" every game last year, but in reality, the last 3 games of the season, there couldn't have been more than 30K in the stadium. You can pin up Marcell Dareus all you want, but the team needs someone that's going to excite the fanbase, especially on the back of a lockout and people saying that Jerry is a cheapskate.

There have been 5 DTs taken top 5 in the draft in the past 10 years:

2 have busted (Gerard Warren, DeWayne Robertson)

1 is headed towards stardom (Suh)

2 are yet to be determined (McCoy, Dorsey)

Personally think Peterson is the BPA, but the fanbase needs a star, and unless Dareus is Warren Sapp Jr., then they get the best star quality with Cam.

This is just an awful year to have the #1 overall pick for a variety of reasons.

First, defensive tackles historically are incredibly risky picks at the top of the draft as compared to other positions. This year, several of the top prospects play DT and while talented, all have played at elite levels for only brief stretches, if at all (e.g., Dareus, Fairley, Austin, etc.).

Second, the options to draft a franchise QB (which we all agree is by far the most valuable position) simply aren't there without Luck. Newton has only played 1 season of major college football and in no a spread / option hybrid offense, while Gabbert has similarly done very little under center and frankly, isn't that all accurate of a passer to begin with. Complicating the matter is the lockout, which if it continues would eliminate a lot of valuable offseason training, minicamps, etc. with the new staff.

Third, unlike a "normal" year, the Panthers have no real ability to listen to trade offers from other teams with the lockout situation.

And the Panthers have their own unique challenges. They have installed a new coaching staff that might feel somewhat pressured or obligated to make "splashy" pick like Newton as opposed to going with a safer player like Patterson or Green. And, they just spent a relatively high pick on a QB the year before, who looked pretty awful as a full-time starter. Then again, the Panthers' receiving corps was an absolute mess and Clausen will still just a rookie, so who knows what he still could become; it'd be a lost-opportunity cost to have both Clausen and Newton on the roster at the same (i.e., two unproven, unready, recently drafted, and highly paid QBs both of whom need reps to develop), thus the Panthers would likely be forced to trade Clausen at a time when his perceived value is incredibly low.

This is just a shitty year to be in the Panthers' position.

I don't think they'd get rid of Clausen yet even if they draft Cam. They will probably release Moore and the either pick up a veteran for a 1 or 2 year deal and carry 3 QBs on the roster for a while or throw Clausen back to the wolves while they try to develop Cam.

I would take Matt Moore over Jimmy Clausen any day of the week and it isn't even close. The kid has a weaker arm than Jake post Tommy-John. I heard Phil Simms one day talking about how ignorant people are who say arm strength is overrated. You dont need a Jamarcus Russell arm, but you can't be an accurate passer if you don't have a strong one. The ball sails on you, doesn't get to the spot quick enough, and can't hit the deep ball. And you can get away wkth that in college to a degree but not the NFL

They aren't going to stick with Moore over Clausen. They both looked god awful last year but there might be a glimmer of hope that Clausen can build up some value. And he doesn't have a weaker arm than Jake.

I cannot wait to follow the Camageddon on twitter when he's drafted by whatever team. What a disaster.

Ideally, they could trade back and potentially pick up 2nd rounder. However, I don't think any teams want any player bad enough to move up to first pick. Newton probably fits their run-oriented offense best right now. I think Gabbert ends up being best QB from this draft. Honestly, I'm cool with taking Peterson since I think he's probably the best player in draft.

Apparently you weren't. Manning was drafted before Leaf.

My bad. You are right. Doesn't really change my point. Leaf was considered a franchise QB as was Manning. No one thought Leaf would be a bust. The draft has been littered with high first round drafted QBs who busted. The Panthers should take the best player at a position in need which is probably Dareus. But certainly Newton will create more of a buzz in terms of media attention and fan interest. At the end of the day, however, wins will keep the fans interested. B of A Stadium will be half empty in November once again if the team loses, even if they pick Newton.

Everybody forgot who owns the Panthers.

They will draft the cheapest player possible. QBs drafted 1 get paid a lot more than defensive players drafted 1

They aren't going to stick with Moore over Clausen. They both looked god awful last year but there might be a glimmer of hope that Clausen can build up some value. And he doesn't have a weaker arm than Jake.

He has the worst arm I've ever seen in the pros. His arm in the pros is reminiscent of Daniel Evans in college. But less productive

I looked for Jimmy Clausen highlights to see how badly I was exaggerating, and this comment on the vid killed me, because it's exactly how I feel

"i'd rather have a overweight, paraplegic, jamarcus russel than jimmy clausen"

Also the highlight tape itself is hilarious. Because it's about ten 5 yard throws and then there's nothing else to show

Last edited:
Clausen draft profiles on his arm strength:

Scouts Inc. on ESPN insider gave him a 2 for "above average" on arm strength. Arm strength is not elite but still well above average. Gets very good velocity on deep out throws. Can drill the ball into tight spots in short-to-intermediate passing game. Link

Has a strong arm and is capable of making all throws with zip and accuracy. Link

Has a strong arm but lacks premier arm strength and may struggle at times fitting the ball into windows deep down the field. Link

Arm Strength: Enough arm strength to make every necessary NFL throw, but requires great effort to do so. Good zip on crossing or out patterns to either side of the field when in balance. Link

He checked down almost every throw last year because he was a green as hell rookie, we had no elite receivers, and he was under constant pressure. No way his arm is weaker than Jake's wet noodle.

Last edited:
I would take Matt Moore over Jimmy Clausen any day of the week and it isn't even close. The kid has a weaker arm than Jake post Tommy-John. I heard Phil Simms one day talking about how ignorant people are who say arm strength is overrated. You dont need a Jamarcus Russell arm, but you can't be an accurate passer if you don't have a strong one. The ball sails on you, doesn't get to the spot quick enough, and can't hit the deep ball. And you can get away wkth that in college to a degree but not the NFL

Do you think this is a product of changes in the game? Because there used to be some pretty rag-armed guys (relatively speaking) that made pretty good QBs (Bernie Kosar comes to mind first). Thinking around the league right now, that's no longer the case. And actually Simms was known a lot more for his short pass accuracy than his arm strength.

It strikes me as being like a baseball pitcher's velocity...sure, you have to be able to throw 90 or near there, and most people can't do that. But you can be effective throwing 90 or 102. But it seems in the NFL these days there aren't a lot of guys getting it done only throwing 90.

Clausen draft profiles on his arm strength:

Scouts Inc. on ESPN insider gave him a 2 for "above average" on arm strength. Arm strength is not elite but still well above average. Gets very good velocity on deep out throws. Can drill the ball into tight spots in short-to-intermediate passing game. Link

Has a strong arm and is capable of making all throws with zip and accuracy. Link

Has a strong arm but lacks premier arm strength and may struggle at times fitting the ball into windows deep down the field. Link

Arm Strength: Enough arm strength to make every necessary NFL throw, but requires great effort to do so. Good zip on crossing or out patterns to either side of the field when in balance. Link

He checked down almost every throw last year because he was a green as hell rookie, we had no elite receivers, and he was under constant pressure. No way his arm is weaker than Jake's wet noodle.

Don't tell me they might've missed on scouting a quarterback! Or that there was a reason ESPN and such projected him as a high first rounder and yet he fell to the second when actual teams and not draft gurus were on the clock!

Annoying sarcasm aside, above average coming out of college is NOT good. That's a major red flag. That arm strength that looked above average in college looked downright bad last season in the NFL. He had to float every single deep ball (and still couldn't get it there), threw behind people constantly, and just couldn't squeeze the ball in there. I think there is zero chance he survives in the NFL.

But obviously I could be wrong

I honestly hardly ever saw him throw deep. He was scared to and hardly ever had time to. I actually didn't learn that much about his arm last year. And to think his arm got somehow weaker in 1 year without an injury is odd. It's not like a few people said he had a decent arm and a few said he had a terrible arm. There was a consensus that his arm was strong. And you said he had the worst arm you've ever seen in the pros. Hell Colt McCoy's arm strength is MUCH worse and he was in the same draft and had decent success as a rookie.

Back