• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who's censored more?

Who's more censored?

• Religious groups are more censored than secular groups

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Secular groups are more censored than religious groups

Votes: 24 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeaconOEF/OIFvet

Reaction score
I'm doing some research regarding censorship and the options are "Religious groups are more censored than secular groups" and "Secular groups are more censored than religious groups."

Just interested in some of your thoughts and opinions, as well as a polling of a small sample from the Wake Forest University student/alumni. Any info that could give me some new leads towards some interesting ideas would be much appreciated.

Would media count as groups? If so, secular easy.

Can't think of any (mainstream) religious texts on banned book lists for public school libraries. Can think of secular ones.

My answer would have been different if I had considered Rastafarians.

I'd actually say each group actively searches out ways to censor the other...

tumblr_lpwx61OX9m1r1yq9ho1_500.gif

Well then it's pretty easy because of Standards and Practices.

Bingo. Think about how many things you can't say/do/show on broadcast television. Then think about the MPAA and parental advisory councils. Then think about restrictions on certain products being advertised in certain places or at certain times. It's no contest.

What is a secular group? Any occurrence of two or more people in a nonreligious setting?

I feel like if all the terms you're using are so incredibly broad, your research is going to be incredibly inconclusive.

The extremes on both sides are pretty censored. I voted secular, but I have no clue in reality.

What is a secular group? Any occurrence of two or more people in a nonreligious setting?

I feel like if all the terms you're using are so incredibly broad, your research is going to be incredibly inconclusive.

Secular groups are somewhat between agnostic and atheist based. Religious groups are any religious groups. I know its broad based, but its what I've got to work with.

Secular groups are somewhat between agnostic and atheist based. Religious groups are any religious groups. I know its broad based, but its what I've got to work with.

So are we talking a strictly religious division. Because a university, the media, a political activist group could all be secular and not fit into a religious v. atheist/agnostic divide. Are you talking about groups who focus on theological matters?

Westboro is basically can't be censored by the government. And yet the PGR does as good a job as possible in keeping their message from getting to people. How does that work out as censorship or not?

Back