• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why Harry Giles shouldn't go to KY- inspired by deacfreke

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
After reading deacfreke's post about his contact with Harry's cousin, this thread popped up.

Harry and his family are clearly thinking deeply about his future and where he lands. They are thinking about carefully molding a brand and a legacy. This is wise. Harry is a generational talent whose career could reach the promotional levels of a CP3, Blake, Kobe or more.

His cousin spoke of the "prestige" of Calipari. This is a true double-edged sword. At each stop before Kentucky, Cal got them to a Final 4 and had that Final 4 vacated due to cheating. Given his close friendship with Worldwide Wes and others and his conveyor belt style at KY, the odds of this happening again are quite high.

Barring injury, Harry is going to be an international brand. I would not be shocked to see The Brow and Harry take over the mantle piece of the NBA from Lebron and CP3 in five or six years. Lebron's and Chris' people have been brilliant in keeping them above the fray.

If Cal is busted again, it will singe Harry needlessly. It's not like he needs the notoriety of playing in Lexington to propel him. However, he could be a victim of a potential stench.

Harry's talent can lift any school into national prominence. If he brings a player or two him, he will be THE guy. The press and media will be there. Lebron proved that even playing in Cleveland that you can create an international brand.

Advertisers and corporations don't give a damn about where you played before the NBA. They want personality, talent and good vibes.

The reality is that if Harry stays healthy and continues to work on his game, he's going to be bigger than any school that he stops at for a year or two. He is above the maddening crowd. He doesn't need any one school. He certainly doesn't need to take a chance at his reputation being sullied by any trouble Calipari might create.

Harry and his family are correct in protecting him and his brand. They are doing a great job. From everything the public has seen, Harry is a great kid and one with "IT". Why take the chance?

Last edited:
Plus at Ky you are just one of many. At WFU you are special. Attending Wake did not hurt Tim or CP3-- they have been as big in marketing as any Ky graduate.

I know that Kentucky has had a storied history, but who was the best basketball player to come out of UK and how would they stack up to Duncan or CP3?

I think it will come down to one thing: does he want to be another cog in the Kentucky (or Duke) machine or not. For a lot of players the answer is yes--they just want to merge into the narrative that is already written-wear the jersey that a lot of others have worn, etc and then head to the NBA. For others, they would rather make their own mark. I doubt he knows at this point what he wants until he takes all his officials and his gut tells him one thing or another. Personally, I think it would be a lot more interesting and self-promotional, to amass a bunch of talent at your "home school" and try to have a magical run for a year. With our 2015 class and Childress the pieces are in place for this to happen if he wants it. Time will tell.

I agree with most of RJ's post. However, Calipari has now reached a level where he no longer needs to cheat. The stench part is unlikely as this point. The exception would be getting caught for previous actions.

Doubt Calipari cheats anymore. The Kentucky brand sells itself. It'll come down to what wfupdx said.

It sounds like some of you would prefer to work at a mom and pop store as opposed to one of the best, highest paying companies in the world.

I want Harry as much as anyone but I think some of you are vastly underestimating the pull of a major basketball university.

I'd rather be a big fish in a small pond myself.

Along those lines, the story of Danny and the Miracles and Harry and his guys would be HUGE news and a tremendous story.

The national press will have a field day. The teacher and the student. Has Danny made Harry even a better college player than he was? A #1 picking coaching a #1 pick. Harry put home first.

The stories write themselves and Harry is always the star. If Harry arrives with Tatum, Smith, Azubuike, Brandon and someone else, the story is Harry is the Pied Piper.

KY being Top 3, ho hum......

I agree with most of RJ's post. However, Calipari has now reached a level where he no longer needs to cheat. The stench part is unlikely as this point. The exception would be getting caught for previous actions.

And Cal no doubt keeps all the Kentucky boosters in line too! So, there's that.

I absolutely hate Calipari. His lack of punishment at each stop is a farce. So while I would love to agree with this, I think the facts show differently. D Rose didn't take his SAT and no one gives a shit. It's sad, but people don't have the attention span to care how you won, they just know you did.

I agree though that Harry would be better off as THE MAN at Wake than just another top guy at UK.

Along those lines, the story of Danny and the Miracles and Harry and his guys would be HUGE news and a tremendous story.

The national press will have a field day. The teacher and the student. Has Danny made Harry even a better college player than he was? A #1 picking coaching a #1 pick. Harry put home first.

The stories write themselves and Harry is always the star. If Harry arrives with Tatum, Smith, Azubuike, Brandon and someone else, the story is Harry is the Pied Piper.

KY being Top 3, ho hum......

Remember when everyone thought CBS was going to do a 10 minute piece on Manning when he got hired during the Tourney and they were going to have him live in studio?

Zero mention. There is no interest in Wake Forest. The reality is the Giles will get 5 times the press at Duke or UK.

That doesn't mean he shouldn't come here. But let's try to be realistic.

I'm sure Cal gets his guys to go to class and take classes in the Spring.

Cal almost got caught at KY with HOF Bledsoe's transcript.

Harry is better than anyone Cal has had at KY other than Anthony Davis.

Where can I find deacfreke's post about the cousin?

"Spoke to Harry's cousin yesterday. Just a chance meeting where I was talking hoops with someone and his cousin knew the guy I was talking to. If I had to guess he's late 30s-early 40s. That guy can pronounce chapter and verse on anything you want to know about college and NBA hoops for this season and many more. A walking hoops encyclopedia. Wake's in the discussion but there are many forces at work one of them being the prestige of Calipari and K. My reaction from it is that it would surprise me if he ends up here but no decision has been made. Anything you can do to not hurt the cause is probably wise."

RJ, where does your knowledge of Harry's game come from to make such definitive statements about his ability? Is this fro watching highlight films, watching entire games online or in person or trusted second hand accounts?
You keep making very strong statements about the trajectory of his career and likelihood to end up at Wake. I don't recall seeing you mention what evidence this is based on.

I know that Kentucky has had a storied history, but who was the best basketball player to come out of UK and how would they stack up to Duncan or CP3?

Anthony Davis. He will end up stacking up quite well, i'd imagine.

John Wall, Bledsoe, MKG, Cousins, Davis with Terrence Jones, Brandon Knight, Nerlens Noel, and Julian Randle coming off the bench would be a solid NBA lineup. All played under Cal. Harry would do very well to match most of that starting 5.

Back