• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Why I support women's access to safe, legal abortion"

Define restricted.

Limit on term, age restrictions, perhaps some counseling, reasonable regulations on providers and facilities in line with the evidence with common health concerns in mind (not the slight of hand in TX and NC). Not ultrasounds, admitting privileges, licensed in the state or other back door means.

I dont understand the age restriction idea at all.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Limit on term, age restrictions, perhaps some counseling, reasonable regulations on providers and facilities in line with the evidence with common health concerns in mind (not the slight of hand in TX and NC). Not ultrasounds, admitting privileges, licensed in the state or other back door means.

View those "restrictions" from the POV of a pro lifer. Those won't do anything to stem the tide of elective abortions. Just makes the person destroying life feel like they have done some sort of due diligence before ending the heart beat.

I still think a group of mostly old, wrinkled men has no business regulating what a woman does with her reproductive system, under the care of her doctor.

Wrangor...what is your opinion of a more robust sex education and contraception education plan in school?

Wrangor...what is your opinion of a more robust sex education and contraception education plan in school?

Highly in favor. I think some age considerations needs to be in place so that we aren't shocking some 9 year old with graphic sex talk, but kids are having sex as early as the 6th and 7th grades (or at least exploring) so if the parents are not going to address it then somebody needs to. We can't just stick our head in the sand and hope that kids are going to smart about sex. We need to promote abstinence, but in reality abstinence only occurs when parents are HEAVILY involved. A government sponsored or school sponsored abstinence program will never work. Condoms and sex ed most certainly need to be increased and retooled in order to better target our youth.

The broadest consensus is that the number of abortions should be minimized. There are people who want abortion eliminated entirely, but I've never heard anyone say that abortions should be maximized.

Is the morning after pill illegal in some states? Plan B would seem suitable in cases of rape or incest. To be effective it has to be taken within 72 hours and there's no heartbeat or viability at that point. The only people who would object are those who want no exceptions.

Ken Burns is a really talented guy, but "Prohibition" wasn't his strongest effort. While abortion wasn't mentioned, a strong take away from the film was that hard line political extremism may work in the short-term, but ultimately fails when its advocates refuse to compromise in any way.

Back