• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WHY is he still our basketball coach?

ahh, it wouldn't be a true Wake Forest (potential!) exit without some alleged, vague scuttlebutt of nefarious off-court behavior

Why can't Baptists just fire people for sucking at their job/not meeting expectations and be done with it?

nefarious scuttlebutt...every 16 yos dream...

Reading this thread is like watching an episode of Ancient Aliens. A vague second hand rumor is taken as fact. Someone proposes a hypothetical conspiracy theory based on that rumor which is also taken as fact, leading to more hypothetical outrage scenarios.
Agree, but most who have been on this Board for awhile realize that no one on this Board has any inside info, and the board is primarily for entertainment purposes.

Agree, but most who have been on this Board for awhile realize that no one on this Board has any inside info, and the board is primarily for entertainment purposes.

True, but I've been around the boards for every coach firing/hiring since Caldwell and Odom. People will be repeating them as fact years from now.

I know I am essentially repeating the same beat, but Phil Rudd did that for ACDC and it worked for him!

I don't have any inside knowledge, but I think you guys are creating more drama than necessary. And also crafting narratives on the top of others' speculation, which starts to become dangerous.

Things are going to be complicated (but not necessarily combative), just from the variables we know:

* We have an AD less than 45 days from retiring who wants some sort of save face exit and wants to be involved in the bball decision
* We have a new AD coming in with his own sets of ideas - I did read a quote from Currie from a while ago which essentially said keeping Frank Martin was a much "safer" choice than firing him and replacing him with a guy run out of Illinois. After that decision, all bball successes and failures were on Currie. It did not escape me as I am sure it didn't a lot of you that Currie didn't fire Martin until a year in to his job. It also seemed to be about Martin's ethics or lackthereof. Also, Bruce Weber is known as super clean. Unfortunately, Manning falls more in line with Weber than Martin.

* Currie has interest in Shaka most likely and has likely been negotiating Wake paying part of the Texas buyout. He cannot do that in vacuum. He doesn't necessarily have to involve Wellman per se, but he's not going to have his number without consulting with Mitt, Sutton, Hatch, etc... That's a complication.
* There is a ticking clock here now that maybe wasn't there a week ago - namely if Buzz goes to Texas A&M, then VTech becomes an easier landing spot for Shaka. We should be rooting for VTech to keep playing at least into next weekend.

Nobody has any serious details that indicate some sort of legal battle over what Manning is owed or not owed or why he can fired or not fired. I would think that a buyout is pretty straight forward. Manning is owed some number - we'd like to work him down or allow him more freedom to find employment elsewhere in exchange for having to pay him less than what we owe him. If Wellman signed some stupid deal with Manning as reported, I don't think we are fighting it and Manning isn't fighting to keep it. It's his. We're trying to find some middle ground that allows us to go after Matta or Oats or Shaka rather than Miller or Odom. Unfortunately, that also makes this somewhat tricky because Miller and Odom are "family."

But again, that doesn't make this some sort of contractual fight I don't think there are gorillas in a cage throwing poop at one another over this.

Last edited:
"drinks too much?"

"Already used that one."

"Dated a co-ed!"

"Used that one."

"Holding the university hostage by bringing up the particulars of his contract?"

"Perfect! People hate lawyers!"

"Why can't we just say he was an ungood basketball coach and we're seeking better from the flagship program?"

"..."

"..."

"Do you hear yourself, George? We'd sound like real jerks if we spoke like that. There's the Wake Forest Way to consider."

how many pairs of pleated khakis do you think your average male WFU administrator owns?

I know I am essentially repeating the same beat, but Phil Rudd did that for ACDC and it worked for him!

I don't have any inside knowledge, but I think you guys are creating more drama than necessary. And also crafting narratives on the top of others' speculation, which starts to become dangerous.

Things are going to be complicated (but not necessarily combative), just from the variables we know:

* We have an AD less than 45 days from retiring who wants some sort of save face exit and wants to be involved in the bball decision
* We have a new AD coming in with his own sets of ideas - I did read a quote from Currie from a while ago which essentially said keeping Frank Martin was a much "safer" choice than firing him and replacing him with a guy run out of Illinois. After that decision, all bball successes and failures were on Currie. It did not escape me as I am sure it didn't a lot of you that Currie didn't fire Martin until a year in to his job. It also seemed to be about Martin's ethics or lackthereof. Also, Bruce Weber is known as super clean. Unfortunately, Manning falls more in line with Weber than Martin.

* Currie has interest in Shaka most likely and has likely been negotiating Wake paying part of the Texas buyout. He cannot do that in vacuum. He doesn't necessarily have to involve Wellman per se, but he's not going to have his number without consulting with Mitt, Sutton, Hatch, etc... That's a complication.
* There is a ticking clock here now that maybe wasn't there a week ago - namely if Buzz goes to Texas A&M, then VTech becomes an easier landing spot for Shaka. We should be rooting for VTech to keep playing at least into next weekend.

Nobody has any serious details that indicate some sort of legal battle over what Manning is owed or not owed or why he can fired or not fired. I would think that a buyout is pretty straight forward. Manning is owed some number - we'd like to work him down or allow him more freedom to find employment elsewhere in exchange for having to pay him less than what we owe him. If Wellman signed some stupid deal with Manning as reported, I don't think we are fighting it and Manning isn't fighting to keep it. It's his. We're trying to find some middle ground that allows us to go after Matta or Oats or Shaka rather than Miller or Odom. Unfortunately, that also makes this somewhat tricky because Miller and Odom are "family."

But again, that doesn't make this some sort of contractual fight I don't think there are gorillas in a cage throwing poop at one another over this.

That'd be a whole lot cooler and more entertaining.

Agree with jaybone that Va Tech doing well in the Big Dance would certainly help us. Just like it would have been in our favor for Texas to have lost last night in front of hundreds of their fans! They tried to give it away but somehow managed to win. That keeps Shaka busy for a while - having the Longhorns go on a NIT run would def not benefit us.

Reading this thread is like watching an episode of Ancient Aliens. A vague second hand rumor is taken as fact. Someone proposes a hypothetical conspiracy theory based on that rumor which is also taken as fact, leading to more hypothetical outrage scenarios.

Well, to be fair, there is a LOT of buzz right now about Danny Manning being hired by the Atlanta Hawks as a big man assistant coach. I wouldn't call it a conspiracy theory. Think about it - Manning reunited with John Collins, to be joined by Zion! It's a perfect fit and win-win-win-win (the 3rd and 4th wins being UT's win by getting a new coach and Shaka win by getting to be our coach, respectively).

"drinks too much?"

"Already used that one."

"Dated a co-ed!"

"Used that one."

"Holding the university hostage by bringing up the particulars of his contract?"

"Perfect! People hate lawyers!"

"Why can't we just say he was an ungood basketball coach and we're seeking better from the flagship program?"

"..."

"..."

"Do you hear yourself, George? We'd sound like real jerks if we spoke like that. There's the Wake Forest Way to consider."

which one drank too much?

Well, to be fair, there is a LOT of buzz right now about Danny Manning being hired by the Atlanta Hawks as a big man assistant coach. I wouldn't call it a conspiracy theory. Think about it - Manning reunited with John Collins, to be joined by Zion! It's a perfect fit and win-win-win-win (the 3rd and 4th wins being UT's win by getting a new coach and Shaka win by getting to be our coach, respectively).

I'm hearing it's more of a consultant role with the Atlanta Hawks and not an actual bench coach position

Back