• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why is our secondary a weakness this season?

Is Boyd really a future NFL QB?

This is from a Todd McShay article on Wednesday.

Tajh Boyd, Clemson
Boyd came out of our preseason evaluations with a third-round grade, the ball comes off his hand well and I like his passing skills. However, I just haven't seen much improvement in terms of consistent accuracy on certain NFL throws.

Clemson does not run a prototypical pro-style system, but Boyd (6-1, 225) would still benefit from more reps and game experience at the college level. I would say a junior should return to school if he's not convinced he'll be a first- or second-round pick, and while Boyd has the potential to become an early-rounder, I'm not comfortable putting him in that mix at this point.

He'll probably never start, but there's no way he goes undrafted.

I thought the secondary played well overall in the second half. Fucking Dabo tried to run it up, but they actually made some great plays, both KJ AND Chibewhatthefuck Okoro.

The line/LBs played VERY well tonight I thought... most of the runs got stopped and they did an excellent job on screens. Its that deep ball that killed us.

They only scored 7 in the second half, and they never let off the gas completely. They simply ran it more in the second. I remember a couple deep balls in the last half of the 4th, even before starters were pulled... #Dabo'd

They were trying to get Boyd past 400 yards.

I get that our linebackers are slow, but are they really to blame for Watkins being wide open deep multiple times? I'm going to go on a limb and just say our secondary has played like shit. I don't think our middle coverage is at fault for us giving up 400+ yards passing today.

No pressure on the QB, no chance to cover Watkins. LSU, ALabama would say the same thing. Our secondary isn't what those two school have. But they can certainly hold their own if they aren't having to cover the WRs for a looong time.

The first completion we got caught. Ran a cover 2. They had 3 deep. 1 more than we had covering. I'd imagine we had a blitz on, and didn't get home.

No pressure on the QB, no chance to cover Watkins. LSU, ALabama would say the same thing. Our secondary isn't what those two school have. But they can certainly hold their own if they aren't having to cover the WRs for a looong time.

The first completion we got caught. Ran a cover 2. They had 3 deep. 1 more than we had covering. I'd imagine we had a blitz on, and didn't get home.

I believe It was Okoro.

I think another fact that has not been taken into consideration is that our highly thought of DB class of 2010 (Marshall, Johnson, Noel) has had 3 different DB coaches in the 3 years that they have been in the program.

I think another fact that has not been taken into consideration is that our highly thought of DB class of 2010 (Marshall, Johnson, Noel) has had 3 different DB coaches in the 3 years that they have been in the program.

Are the techniques that different amongst the three coaches? I truthfully have no idea.

I don't believe it is a technique issue. It is an attitude issue. Our secondary plays very soft. Although our corners are adequate tacklers and react well to the ball, when was the last time you saw a receiver separated from the ball by our secondary? Every game our receivers are taking shots, (although they don't need to get hit to drop the ball).

Our corners aren't physical and our whole team doesn't tackle well, but it's the lack of a pass rush and our slow as hell linebackers that are killing us.
That is magnified because every blown coverage (and it happens, even to good secondaries) is noticed because a quarterback has all day to throw.
The best pass coverage is a good pass rush.

Our corners aren't physical and our whole team doesn't tackle well, but it's the lack of a pass rush and our slow as hell linebackers that are killing us.
That is magnified because every blown coverage (and it happens, even to good secondaries) is noticed because a quarterback has all day to throw.
The best pass coverage is a good pass rush.

Where are we expecting a pass rush from? We run a 3-4 where our best pass rusher is our NG. If our DEs get to the QB at all it is a pretty big accomplishment considering they are prob being doubled. We don't have very good pass rushing LBs. The scheme sucks and the players aren't great.

The delayed linebacker blitz where we take a slow guy, have him wait a few seconds, then just charge straight into a lineman is a such a sweet move.

The delayed linebacker blitz where we take a slow guy, have him wait a few seconds, then just charge straight into a lineman is a such a sweet move.

come on, you have to give that scheme credit. it's worked at least once over the last four years.

I'd almost prefer the qb to know the blitz is coming by us stacking the line. That way he may just rush himself as opposed to our patented delayed linebacker crash into the offensive line scheme.

Back