• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why isn't Arpaio getting the same attention as Sandusky/PSU and Fine/Syracuse

DeacAlum2001

Reaction score
I'm not defending PSU or Syracuse or criticizing the attention they have received. However, what does it say about our society that sports figures/institutions get more attention on such a serious issue then other prominent people in our society? Sheriff Joe Arpaio has come under a lot of criticism lately for the way his office handled reports of sexual abuse/assault. This man gets a lot of national attention and this story has gotten some national attention, but not to the levels of the PSU and Syracuse issues.

Here's a news link if you have not heard about this yet. http://news.yahoo.com/critics-tough-sheriff-botched-sex-crime-cases-185852410.html

It seems I can't turn around without hearing commentary about the PSU and Syracuse issues. But other then local news and the occasional national story it is not the same for Arpaio. (I do hear it in the local news but only because I live in Arizona).

Last edited:
who the fuck is Bernie Fine? sheriff Joe is a major republican figure and regularly gets national attention for his work camp programs and other things, many of which I think are good. But if we criticize Paterno and say he should step down because he didn't do enough when he was in a position to do so (which I agree with) how is it ok for one of the nation's top sheriffs not be called out nationally when his office didn't do enough (and that's their job).

Sounds like a lot of politics is involved in this to me. Is it just sex abuse cases that were mishandled, or was it a lot of cases and the sex abuse angle is the one being written about because that's the hot topic now? If cases were mishandled across the board, why was that? Why were they contracting to do another city's law enforcement? Were they stretched too thin?

The Sheriff wasn't fucking little boys, which is why the case is not getting the attention you want it to.

Yeah. Who is the person on par with JoePa or Boeheim who Arpaio works for? Who are the millions of Arizona police fans?

Silly thread.

JoePa and Boehim weren't fucking little boys either. They are being rightfully criticized for not stopping abuse when they had enough knowledge to act and could have. As the Sheriff in charge of the office handling the complaints, he was in a position to act and had knowledge and did not. These are similar situations.

My overall point, though, is that we devote all this attention to sports figures and not to law enforcement who's job is to stop these things. It's a sad commentary on our society that we are more concerned with sports and takes a sports scandal to bring a horrible issue to national attention that has been going on for a long time.

He's too busy rounding up Mexicans to pay attention to sexual assault. That won't get him on tv.

Yeah. Who is the person on par with JoePa or Boeheim who Arpaio works for? Who are the millions of Arizona police fans?

Silly thread.

2mphlb8.jpg

Wait! Are you telling me that there's sexual abuse going on in the county lockup?

Back