• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why Liberals Are Not As Tolerant As They Think They Are

Well yeah---it's because we are right.

In all seriousness that was a good read. Thanks for posting. It provided a good chance to step back and reflect.

This was a particularly interesting paragraph in my opinion:

Low cognitive ability (as measured by a vocabulary test) correlated with bias against Hispanics, Asian Americans, atheists, gay men and lesbians, blacks, Muslims, illegal immigrants, liberals, whites, people on welfare and feminists. High cognitive ability correlated with bias against Christian fundamentalists, big business, Christians (in general), the Tea Party, the military, conservatives, Catholics, working-class people, rich people and middle-class people. But raw brainpower itself doesn’t seem to be the deciding factor in who we hate: When Brandt controlled for participants’ demographics and traditionalism (smart people were more supportive of “newer lifestyles” and less supportive of “traditional family ties”), intelligence didn’t correlate with overall levels of prejudice.

Last edited:
Ha, ha, doofus, you think your prejudices are better. Small consolation.

I don't deny that if I have to have a bias against somebody I would rather it be due to disagreements with their ideology rather than simply their skin color or sexuality.

It did make me laugh that high intelligence folks have a bias against "working-class, people, rich people and middle-class people." I would like to hear more about what those groups entail.

Well yeah---it's because we are right.

In all seriousness that was a good read. Thanks for posting. It provided a good chance to step back and reflect.

This was a particularly interesting paragraph in my opinion:

Thank you B!

I don't deny that if I have to have a bias against somebody I would rather it be due to disagreements with their ideology rather than simply their skin color or sexuality.

It did make me laugh that high intelligence folks have a bias against "working-class, people, rich people and middle-class people." I would like to hear more about what those groups entail.

They hate all people?

Well there is a big difference between Group 1: "Hispanics, Asian Americans, atheists, gay men and lesbians, blacks, Muslims, illegal immigrants, people on welfare and feminists" AND Group 2 "Christian fundamentalists, big business, Christians (in general), the Tea Party, the military, conservatives, Catholics"

Mainly, the first group has been oppressed by the second group.

Last edited:
here's the thing...conservatives want everyone to live as they decide based on their beliefs, on their personal understanding of Bible. i just can't get behind that, especially when many of those people do not live as the book decrees. not even close, and we can exchange bible quotes all day long about forgiveness, acceptance, etc. but it is rarely used in this way.

here are a few: those without sin cast the first stone; Do unto others as you would have them do unto you; Sell your possessions, and give to the needy; Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will repay him for his deed; Whoever gives to the poor will not want, but he who hides his eyes will get many a curse; If we argue over non-essentials, then we are not accepting differences in people’s preferences and in what they see as sin and what they see as not being sin; Believers show their humility, gentleness, and patience when they accept others people’s faults; For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life; The wolf shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the young goat, and the calf and the lion and the fattened calf together; and a little child shall lead them; All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out; etc., etc...

and never to forget Christians: For God shows no partiality - Romans 2:11

it is unfair and against the beliefs and wishes of the founding fathers to govern based on religion.

Back