• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why not Bring in Larry Brown?

I like the idea of him being on staff in an advisor role, but wouldn't really want him involved with players or recruits.

Might I also point out that Brown was Manning's coach at Kansas and probably wouldn't be cool with taking the job after we fired Danny. Also, he's almost 80.

Memphis actually has a good idea of having Brown on the bench to hold Hardaway's hand. Would love to have somebody on Manning's bench who knows WTF they're doing regarding matchups, defense, and game management.

What Manning should have done. He is just too proud and stubborn to admit he needs help. A fatal flaw. If he was half the man he thinks he is, he would take his Dove contract and resign

Like Larry Brown would ever "advise" any team in the ACC other than UNC.

I think he would do it to help save Manning's job.

Maybe, but would DM's ego let him do it? After all, DM has a fairly sweet contract to cover his $$ needs the next several years. I think one reason Dino was let go was because RW heard LB say on tv "that's the worst coached B-ball I've every seen". Wounder what LB's verdict would be on several of Wake's games this year?

If Memphis hires Penny Hardaway, Hardaway has indicated that he would want Larry Brown on his staff.

Brown is a basketball nomad; he has no allegiances. He would coach (or assist) at any school willing to hire him. The fact that he played for UNC 50 years ago, when African-Americans weren't allowed in the ACC would not be an impediment to him working at WF or Pitt or any other ACC school. Brown wanted to coach UNC, and they didn't want him.

What Manning should have done. He is just too proud and stubborn to admit he needs help. A fatal flaw. If he was half the man he thinks he is, he would take his Dove contract and resign

This is exactly the kind of guy Danny needs to have around. Whether it is Larry Brown specifically is a separate discussion. Danny could use at a guy with prior head coaching experience who is regarded as good at managing games, substitution patterns and making in-game adjustments as various players seem to be playing better or worse than predicted in the pre-game plan.

This is exactly the kind of guy Danny needs to have around. Whether it is Larry Brown specifically is a separate discussion. Danny could use at a guy with prior head coaching experience who is regarded as good at managing games, substitution patterns and making in-game adjustments as various players seem to be playing better or worse than predicted in the pre-game plan.

Not Larry Brown, but so this!

Watch any timeout, where the team is sitting down and the coaches are huddling on the court - they all stand there just looking at each other, waiting for Manning to say something. And Chill is the man, but have you ever seen him 'coach-up' someone on the bench? He just sits there kind of shaking his head and looking like he thinks he could still do better if he were playing. I like Manning and I am #OneMoreYear, but this is the perfect situation for a competent AD to step in and say - 'you may not be able to see the forest for the trees here, but you need to bring in an experienced assistant coach with significant head-coaching experience, who can help you work through in-game decision and offensive sets'.

We were a dumpster fire when Manning got here (and we were fortunate to get him at the time), so I think he deserves a little bit longer of a leash. Nevertheless, the regression this year has given me serious doubts as to whether he can turn things around.

Back