• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why Wake went SAT optional for college admissions...

yeah but everyone hated those rank high in high school with like 1200 SAT's that got into wake and then was just with us cause they had no life and studied 24/7. I say we just go all SAT.

The psychology department had some sort of study where they looked at the GPA and SAT data of their students and found no correlation (or maybe a very weak one) between the SAT and success as a Wake student. Apparently thats all it took. I'm guessing they wanted to do it either way for monetary reason, but that provided all the justification they needed.

This is all according to a faculty member.

The whole correlation thing bothers me because I think there are a lot of people that are very smart that are bored by what education has to offer.

Let's be honest: high school was a joke. At no point was I EVER intellectually challenged. There are going to be people that are smart enough to get by doing good not great and don't see the point of putting in the effort to be great.

I read Millionaire Mind and it looked at some of the very very successful people that didn't do great in school but were incredibly smart and business savvy.

I personally enjoyed the challenge of trying to ace a test by only looking at the material the night before, as it was a way to sort of challenge myself.

The whole correlation thing bothers me because I think there are a lot of people that are very smart that are bored by what education has to offer.

Let's be honest: high school was a joke. At no point was I EVER intellectually challenged. There are going to be people that are smart enough to get by doing good not great and don't see the point of putting in the effort to be great.

I read Millionaire Mind and it looked at some of the very very successful people that didn't do great in school but were incredibly smart and business savvy.

Not sure the goal of collegiate admissions is to hire successful executives though.

You are correct about us being ranked around 27 for quite some time. For some reason I had remembered us being ranked mid 30's about 5 years ago, but I was mistaken.

I think we debuted at 25 in 1994. Have moved between 25-29 or 30 since.

This was all a money grab.

I would also make the argument that even though it also helps Wake say on paper they are more diverse, between the non SAT requirement and the removal of need blind admissions, they are actually ruining diversity and culture on campus

Not sure the goal of collegiate admissions is to hire successful executives though.

These were all guys that did extremely well on standardized tests. They could have gotten 4.0s if they had wanted.

These were all guys that did extremely well on standardized tests. They could have gotten 4.0s if they had wanted.

Again, not the goal of collegiate admissions to get guys who "could've done X if they wanted"

Sorry. I wasn't being clear. These were guys that crushed it in high school because high school was a joke.

I debunk the "there is no correlation between college GPA and test scores" theory.

Wait, since when is Wake not need blind anymore? I completely missed that.

http://giving.wfu.edu/student-aid/

This indicates we're still need-blind.

I know I never put any financial information on my application (class of 2012), and if that policy had changed since would have been huge news on campus.

I would also make the argument that even though it also helps Wake say on paper they are more diverse, between the non SAT requirement and the removal of need blind admissions, they are actually ruining diversity and culture on campus

Sorry I wasnt very clear. Non SAT has obviously been put into place, need blind admissions have not been removed, but has been considered.

Removal of need blind admissions has been discussed on numerous levels, but it stems from the same diversity initiative though it is also being investigated by admissions and finances

Dropping the SAT was driven by one thing: Ideology.

The "anti-standards" crowd hates ranking students by objective measures that can't be fudged in the name of "social equity". The "study" by the Wake sociology professor that claimed that the SAT was invalid as a predictor of college performance was ideological advocacy masquerading as research (like most of what comes out of Sociology), and has been rebutted by numerous national studies that prove that the SAT absolutely IS a valid predictor of college success for the vast majority of students. Of course there are outliers, as there are in any universe of data, but one hundred students with 1400 SATs will collectively do much better than one hundred students with 900 SATs. It is a joke to think that a Wake sociology professor had discovered some new truth about the SAT that Harvard, Stanford, Yale, MIT, Princeton, etc. etc. had never discovered (and apparently still haven't, since they all still use the SAT in admissions).

Last edited:

If it gets worse than when I was there (c/o 00) then I'm not sure how. Wake was lily white back then. I was friends with the only three black, non-athletes on campus :) (Love ya Ph)

the SAT got really diluted by all the rich white kids taking super prep classes

Generally keep it under wraps.

If Wake went away from need-blind they would never get a cent from me. Not that they have gotten any cents from me other than tuition so far anyway.

is this guy a bkf parody? if so the only thing that sounds different about his normal posting style is the apparent dislike of howard dean

Back