• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why was Carl Tacy Never ACC COY?

Considering UNCC made the final four that year, they were probably better than we thought they were.

I was in Gboro for that game.

Back then Hooks had moved all of our big conference home games to Gboro (I cannot recall why, but I assume it was for the money), giving up the huge home court advantage we had in the smaller Memorial Coleseum, so most of us who went to the conference home games drove to Gboro then. G'boro was certainly a more pleasant venue than Memorial, but we really gave away the home court advantage, especially when playing teams from the schools in North Carolina.

Skip Brown could take Phil Ford, and stripped him on numerous occasions, which is why the four-corners offense didn't work against us. Dean kept not believing it possible, and going into it against us, letting Skip do it yet again and letting us back in the game.

Skip Brown is truly one of the basketball greats of Wake Forest.

My recollection is that Carl Tacy is the only major college coach who recognized how good Skip Brown was in high school. The story told at the time was that Tennessee told Skip they wouldn't have a scholarship for him his freshman year, and as a result Carl was able to get him to come to Wake. Skip started for the Deacs as a freshman.

Back