• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wi-Fi Range Extender

tsywake

Sheikh of Smoke
Staff member
Reaction score
Tech gurus of the Pit, I come requesting some information. At the FD we are in the market for a Wi-Fi range extender to make our existing WiFi signal accessible from both buildings we own. Our existing router is in the corner of the building approximately at the location of the A. We need the signal to reach at least point B in the other building. The two points are roughly 165 ft apart, and it would have to travel through two cinder block walls between points. What is our best option for getting the signal from point A to point B? We are looking into getting a range extender, but we are also using an old DSL line and modem, and I believe we now have fiber internet available in our area. Any recommendations?

1zm09xt.jpg

There was a good thread about this a few months ago. Not sure it applies in your case but check it out.

Have fiber installed in both buildings. Wipe hands. Make chili.

Have fiber installed in both buildings. Wipe hands. Make chili.

This may be what we end up doing, but we'd like to only have one service if possible. One building we'd use daily, the other maybe once a week for a 4 hour block of time.

can you get an ethernet cable from point a to point b?

Unfortunately no, it'd cost a fortune to go under the asphalt parking lot between the buildings.

This may be what we end up doing, but we'd like to only have one service if possible. One building we'd use daily, the other maybe once a week for a 4 hour block of time.

Unfortunately no, it'd cost a fortune to go under the asphalt parking lot between the buildings.

He didn't say to bury it. Just get a black cable and lay it on the asphalt. :)

Last edited:
How old is your router? I feel like an n router in that corner shouldn't have any problem with 170' depending on the use. Maybe put it on a windowsill if nearby. Might be worth trying via Amazon or somewhere with easy returns. and then make chili

Wait a second...do you have any coax or copper phone lines running between the buildings already? The buildings aren't fed by the same breaker box by any chance are they?

No. The other building was built and run by a Civic Organization until they folded and donated it to us. Everything is separate.

No. The other building was built and run by a Civic Organization until they folded and donated it to us. Everything is separate.

Damn. You can get converters to network over most any existing type of cabling now.

As mentioned above, you could try a N router (most new devices support N) if you're still on an older G, but I wouldn't count on it being reliable depending on weather, etc as a result of the multiple exterior walls.

The router is a few years old. My fiber router at home has a good range on it, so maybe we can upgrade our service and the new router will reach.

The router is a few years old. My fiber router at home has a good range on it, so maybe we can upgrade our service and the new router will reach.

The range has nothing to do with the service though. The routers provided by the service providers are some of the worst. If you want optimum range, you'd be best to bypass whatever router they provide and use your own, whether you keep the existing service or upgrade.

http://www.ubnt.com/wifistation

Ubiquiti is a very popular (and cheap) solution for issues like this.

Yeah, that could potentially work if there's a single laptop/desktop that needs a connection in the building and that doesn't need to be moved around, but it wouldn't solve for multiple laptops, phones, tablets, etc.

I guess you could setup a desktop to act as a WiFi repeater, but that's not exactly plug and play for most.

Last edited:
I posted a great fix for this problem on the previous thread but as mentioned, it would require running an ethernet cable between two masked routers somehow. Don't buy a range extender though, really not that helpful.

Back