• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Will SEC disclosure curb CEO pay?

meh - its just a disclosure and most people never read 10Ks anyway

meh - its just a disclosure and most people never read 10Ks anyway

So so true. I tell my clients this all the time. And for executive comp information, most of the time it's not even in the 10-K, but in the proxy, which probably gets read even less.

As for the disclosure itself, I think it's largely irrelevant. I can understand knowing how much the named executive officers make, but what does that have to do with the ratio to the rest of the employees? As an investor, would you rather have that ratio high or low? If there is a greater disparity, then you could argue either that (a) the CEO is paid to much (but you could make that determination without the ratio) or (b) that the employees are paid to little (for an investor, you would just be arguing for the payroll expenses to increase, which hurts your investment). If the ratio is low and the gap is fairly small, then some could argue that the CEO is paid too little (still can be done without this disclosure) or that the employees are paid too much (can't cut salaries or risk losing key people because of it). As an investor you shouldn't give a fuck what the employees are paid. It'd be that much better if they all worked for free since expenses would go down. And as for CEO pay, it is very company-specific and person-specific as to what the value of the CEO's, so it is short-sighted to say that someone isn't worth it because they make $50MM in a year. As with anything, someone is worth what the market is willing to pay them. If you think it is too high, don't invest in that company. But it is very hard to look at some disclosure and say that the CEO is paid too much because they make so much more than some sample of employees. Maybe the CEO adds that much more value to the Company than those employees, which I would say is likely the case in most instances.

Oh, and to answer the question in the thread title, no. This new disclosure rule if enacted will have zero effect on CEO pay. As I said, you can already form an opinion based on existing disclosure rules.

Oh, and to answer the question in the thread title, no. This new disclosure rule if enacted will have zero effect on CEO pay. As I said, you can already form an opinion based on existing disclosure rules.

agreed.

maybe it will give more fuel to activist investors, but even those guys can dig up this info on their own now.

So so true. I tell my clients this all the time. And for executive comp information, most of the time it's not even in the 10-K, but in the proxy, which probably gets read even less.

As for the disclosure itself, I think it's largely irrelevant. I can understand knowing how much the named executive officers make, but what does that have to do with the ratio to the rest of the employees? As an investor, would you rather have that ratio high or low? If there is a greater disparity, then you could argue either that (a) the CEO is paid to much (but you could make that determination without the ratio) or (b) that the employees are paid to little (for an investor, you would just be arguing for the payroll expenses to increase, which hurts your investment). If the ratio is low and the gap is fairly small, then some could argue that the CEO is paid too little (still can be done without this disclosure) or that the employees are paid too much (can't cut salaries or risk losing key people because of it). As an investor you shouldn't give a fuck what the employees are paid. It'd be that much better if they all worked for free since expenses would go down. And as for CEO pay, it is very company-specific and person-specific as to what the value of the CEO's, so it is short-sighted to say that someone isn't worth it because they make $50MM in a year. As with anything, someone is worth what the market is willing to pay them. If you think it is too high, don't invest in that company. But it is very hard to look at some disclosure and say that the CEO is paid too much because they make so much more than some sample of employees. Maybe the CEO adds that much more value to the Company than those employees, which I would say is likely the case in most instances.

Good post.

If enacted, the new rule will have no impact on CEO pay or the pay of employees. It will give CNN, Forbes, etc. some headlines that people will use the same way they use the "GE paid no taxes" headlines, but that's about it.

Back