• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Will Thursday Night Football hurt the NFL!?

THE DEUCE

Reaction score
I can see the money side of TNF but IMO the product will suffer bc of prep time and recovery time.
Discuss

Idk why they don't make it Friday night, for those reasons.

No, it won't hurt the NFL, they will just make more money to put in the pockets of the racist, sexist, old white guy owners and the prima donna criminal players. What it hurts is continuing to grow this cancerous capitalist society. The NFL sold out years ago when it started paying their players enough money that they no longer had to work real jobs in the offseason, it's led to all the criminal behavior we see from these spoiler players and even owners. First they just played on Sundays, then they started having early and late games on Sunday, then Monday night games, then then Sunday night games, now some Thursday games, before long they'll monopolize TV air time because there will be a freaking game on every day of the week. They should go back to playing every game on Sunday at 1pm!!!

If they increased the number of Thursday night games per week then maybe but each team only plays one Thursday night game per year. So while the games can be sloppy I don't think it has any serious effect on the NFL as a whole.

It has been a growing concern and we know for a fact that the coaches and players hate it. I get the (" quit whining and play you millionaires!) but you have to take in account that stars don't make the league money when they are on the IR so why push the envelope!?

Worst NFL Thursday Night Game >>>>>>>>> Game 7 of the Greatest World Series Ever Played.

NFL is trying to figure a way to have games 7 days a week.

Friday night also is the worst ratings night for young males, which is their target audience.

The obvious move here is to start Thursday night games in Week 5 and give every team a bye the week before their game.

Friday night also is the worst ratings night for young males, which is their target audience.

The obvious move here is to start Thursday night games in Week 5 and give every team a bye the week before their game.

This is fine but they'd have to move away from their rule that (I think) every team gets a Thurs night game.
Which is a stupid thing to have to do anyway.

Was at the game last night. Had fun. I'd much rather attend a Thurs night game since if you go to a Sunday 1pm you miss your couch time with all the other games.

You mean young males who go to bars that have TVs?

Its just another revenue stream that will benefit the "Bottom Line" for the NFL, but the product will not be the same as games played on Sunday or Monday. This is due to two variables, the lack of recovery time for the players, and lack of time to game plan for the coaches. As for the recovery time, I only played High School football, but it took my body 2 full days to recover from a game. Furthermore, towards the end of the season it took my body closer to 3 days to heal. My dad played football at Wake, and he said he took his body 3-4 days to recover from a game. I can not imagine how long it takes for a body to recover in the NFL, let alone how long it takes as it gets deeper into the season (I have heard from Ex-NFL players who knew my dad tell him that the movie, North Dallas 40, is about the closest movie ever made that shows what the players put their bodies through on a week to week basis) . As for the coaches, you basically have 2 days to put together a game plan because there is a chance that you will have travel on Wednesday, if you are the visiting team, but also do a walk through as well.

Personally, I believe the result of last Thursday's game between Atlanta and Tampa Bay was a result of Tampa not having enough time to game plan, as well as lack of recovery time for the players. There have been other games in the past where the score wasn't as bad, but the competition between the two teams was one sided. Another example, a few years ago (I believe it was 2011) Philadelphia played a Sunday night game in New York then had to play IN Seattle on December 1 (Seattle was not good that year, and I believe had a losing record of 7-9) the following Thursday and lost 31-14. However, the score did not indicate the butt whipping Philadelphia took, it looked more like a final score of 49-7. The Philly players just did not look physically ready to play, whether it was the lack of recovery time, the lack of recovery time due to how late in the season it was, or the fact that they played a Sunday night game and then fly across the country 3 days later.

These are just two examples that I can remember off the top of my head. Anyway, my point is that even though the NFL will make plenty of money from Thursday night games, but does this extra profit justify the costs? Aka, the health of the players (How can the NFL say that they are now soooo concerned about player's health and allow them to put their bodies through this type of punishment. I would bet everything that I own that multiple players will get hurt as a direct result of playing on Thursday night due to the lack of recovery time), the quality of the product/game, and finally what if these games have a direct effect on Playoff implications. Does this not jeopardize the integrity of the NFL? For example, lets say its there are two weeks left in the season, and Team XYZ can make the Playoffs if they win their final 2 games. Furthermore, their next game is on Thursday night 1,500 miles across the country against a team that is officially eliminated from the Playoffs . Then Team XYZ loses the game by a FG in the last few seconds. However, if this same game had been played on Sunday, then would Team XYZ have lost by a FG or would the extra time for the players to recover and the coaches to put together a game plan had a direct effect on the final score?

Last edited:
I don't recall people complaining about the quality of play on Thanksgiving. That's a Sunday-Thursday turnaround that's been happening for years - and the Detroit and Dallas guys have to do it every year. I'm sure it's tougher on the bodies of the players, but there have also been reports that the players like having the long weekend after a Thursday game.

Good point Smoove.

I don't recall people complaining about the quality of play on Thanksgiving. That's a Sunday-Thursday turnaround that's been happening for years - and the Detroit and Dallas guys have to do it every year. I'm sure it's tougher on the bodies of the players, but there have also been reports that the players like having the long weekend after a Thursday game.

Before you might not have noticed the quality of product/game when it occurred just once a year. However, when you begin to watch Thursday night games on a regular basis since they have been implemented for the entire season, if you pay close attention to the game and not just the final score, then you can notice that the quality of the product/game is being affected. More so, as it gets deeper into the season.

Thanksgiving is an exception bc that is a tradition game which made it special. Now Goodell wants to drain the well dry and play every Thursday..SMDH

Back