• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Will Ty start on Saturday?

Will Ty Start on Saturday

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ty played good/great defense today. He altered every shot within range, and the attention he commanded led to the rest of our team getting a lot of rebounds. His passing from the high post was also great, except for his turnover that led to a runout dunk.

When he blocks shots, he gets out of position. That's not good team defense when they're getting offensive rebounds and put-backs.

He commanded 0 attention on the boards. He didn't box out once and was hardly ever in position.

On offense, he didn't even attempt to post-up or roll to the basket with any sort of authority.

That turnover was awful and he his lack of awareness/interest was responsible for a ton of points... Can somebody get me a +/-?

Yeah, I actually sort of thought he was outstanding on the defensive end, and I actually liked his screens for CJ whenever the shot clock ran down.

I dunno... I think we're at our best with him in the lineup.

He commanded 0 attention on the boards. He didn't box out once and was hardly ever in position.

That's just simply not true. VT was bigger than us at every position besides center, yet we outrebounded them by a big margin. VT was crashing the glass on offense and defense, and often had two bodies on Ty and Carson whenever the shot went up. Raines and Davila were fouling the shit out of both of them on defense, and it never got called. Also, Ty went for very few blocks the entire game, I was impressed with how well he stayed on his feet. The most egregious example of a missed block was definitely when Carson and CJ had Eddie(?) trapped in the post, and Carson ruined it by jumping for a terrible fake and fouling on what surely would have been a turnover or jump ball.

Last edited:
He's still very inconsistent, but having Ty around to add to our frontcourt depth as improved this team drastically.

No reason to change the starting lineup after today's game. The team got off to a really nice start and I thought Derosiers played better coming off the bench.

Off of the bench or not, Desrosiers may have played his best game as a Deac, today.

I was very impressed with his effort and activity. Didn't rebound at all, but you saw him blocking out far better and doing a good job. He set some nice screens and made some very nice passes.

Obviously his blocks in transition were huge for us. His post defense was very solid. I especially liked how much he was talking to his teammates and how he moved what I've previously observed to be cement shoes.

That's just simply not true. VT was bigger than us at every position besides center, yet we outrebounded them by a big margin. VT was crashing the glass on offense and defense, and often had two bodies on Ty and Carson whenever the shot went up. Raines and Davila were fouling the shit out of both of them on defense, and it never got called

We rebounded well because we finally started to be aggressive on the defensive glass. Nikita was a warrior down there, boxing out and hustling his tail off, but I saw Travis box out nearly every time down the floor. That hasn't happened yet this year... I watched out post play all game and I'm not sure I saw anything suggesting Ty is responsible for our rebounding margin. Travis and Nikita were bosses. Simple as that.

He's still very inconsistent, but having Ty around to add to our frontcourt depth as improved this team drastically.

I guess. More so because he's a warm body as opposed to him actually contributing. I'd love him to prove me wrong, but one good game in a losing effort against Wofford's 6'6 frontcourt is not enough to convince me of anything.

Walker's wingspan down low makes it very difficult for the opponents bigs to score over him. Davila struggled with him today.

Ray Charles could have seen Ty's impact on rim defense. Shout out to my boy RJ!

Ty didn't leave his man as much to block shots like he has in the past. VT only had 9 second chance points, which I would wager is way less than most of our games.

Ray Charles could have seen Ty's impact on rim defense. Shout out to my boy RJ!

It's a bit more complicated than simply blocking and altering shots. Most of Davila's points (perhaps all) came on put-backs. Ty jumping out like that kills our ability to rebound, leaves the basket area open, and requires whoever is playing SF to sag in, leaving open the possibility of a kick-out to an open three. VT got us on all three accounts. Ty blocked only one shot and grabbed only 2 rebounds. Let's not overrate things...

It's a bit more complicated than simply blocking and altering shots. Most of Davila's points (perhaps all) came on put-backs. Ty jumping out like that kills our ability to rebound, leaves the basket area open, and requires whoever is playing SF to sag in, leaving open the possibility of a kick-out to an open three. VT got us on all three accounts. Ty blocked only one shot and grabbed only 2 rebounds. Let's not overrate things...

That's what I'm telling you. Ty wasn't jumping all over the place like you're claiming. I specifically remember 3 or 4 VT possessions where they missed multiple opportunities around the rim because of Ty's defense. Carson blocks alot of shots, but his post defense is lacking, where Ty's is pretty solid. Davila is not a bad player, he was going to get some points.

Carson also happened to be on the floor when we were hitting threes. +/- is dictated by scoring points, and our team couldn't hit the broadside of a barn for much of the 2nd half when Ty was playing. We just happened to hit 3 or 4 threes when Carson was playing in the 2nd half.

Last edited:
Ty and Carson appear to be benefiting from the competition for minutes. Bz just needs.to ride whomever is hot that particular game.

I like Carson in a close game because of his.more varied offensive game. He is dangerous on the pick and pop, so defenses have to respect.him up at the arc, which makes.life easier for CJ coming off the pick.

I thought both played pretty well on defense and neither gave us much on offense.

I thought he was atrocious. Yes, he was effective at times on defense, but he friggin' better be considering his skill set and experience. I want to see a guy who has a clue offensively. He doesn't have to be great or even good. Just have a clue. If Ty could even just be David Weaver, we'd be a much better team.

I was impressed by Carson.

I want to see a guy who has a clue offensively. He doesn't have to be great or even good. Just have a clue. If Ty could even just be David Weaver, we'd be a much better team.

+1

On a side note, I'm glad that senior Ty is playing to the level that was expected of him as a freshman and we are praising him for it... I'd rather use his minutes to develop Carson and Daniel at this point. I'm not sure we lose that much, either. Both are upgrades, as Carson has looked solid lately and Daniel has a motor.

+1

On a side note, I'm glad that senior Ty is playing to the level that was expected of him as a freshman and we are praising him for it... I'd rather use his minutes to develop Carson and Daniel at this point. I'm not sure we lose that much, either. Both are upgrades, as Carson has looked solid lately and Daniel has a motor.

Exactly. Ty's play would be great if he were, say, a walk-on. But for a senior who has elite natural talent (worthy of a top-25 ranking out of HS), praising his adequate defense right now is like praising Tanner Price for not fumbling a snap. Sure, it's a positive, but shouldn't it be a given?

Back