• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Willie McCovey dies at 80

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
As a kid he was one of my very favorite non-Phillies. Connie Mack Stadium had a very high wall in RF and an even higher scoreboard in right center. I used to love to see McCovey hit balls that disappeared into the night over North Philly.

McCovey, Mays, Marichal, Cepeda, Felipe Alou, Jim Ray Hart, those were great teams to watch.

He always seemed to have a smile on his face.

RIP Willie Mc.

One of the best players of my youth and always seemed a good man playing in the shadow of the other Willie on his team. Rest in Peace.

As a kid he was one of my very favorite non-Phillies. Connie Mack Stadium had a very high wall in RF and an even higher scoreboard in right center. I used to love to see McCovey hit balls that disappeared into the night over North Philly.

McCovey, Mays, Marichal, Cepeda, Felipe Alou, Jim Ray Hart, those were great teams to watch.

He always seemed to have a smile on his face.

RIP Willie Mc.

And don't forget Dave "Kong" Kingman. His Strat-O-Matic card had multiple homeruns, but for most of them you had to roll 1-3,10-12, etc.; the middle numbers either were all strikeouts or HOMERUN 1-5/STRIKEOUT 6-20 on the split cards.

Great player. Sorry to hear of his passing. Condolences to his family, friends and fans. First ballot Hall of Fame guys are rare. We've lost another of the all time greats.

The Giants outfield, with the two Willies, (McCovey and Mays) playing together for over a decade, was one for the ages.

Hey was a great player and seemed very well liked and respected. I saw him hit a bomb vs the Phillies in the old Vet in the mid to late 70s

McCovey didn't play the OF that long. He only played about 300 games in the OF.

Interesting that McCovey's line-out to end the 1962 WS was referenced twice in the Peanuts comic strip in the months following it. Charlie Brown just couldn't help but say "what if." I was wondering if in the same circumstances today (winning run on 2nd, two outs, bottom of the 9th), if he wouldn't have been walked intentionally. I need to look up who was on deck.
ETA: Looks like it was Cepeda, who had already struck out twice that game against Ralph Terry.

Last edited:
As someone who played a lot of baseball, McCovey is the most intimidating hitter I ever saw in person. I saw him take batting practice in Atlanta. Every ball he hit looked like it had bad intentions, with vicious topspin.

RIP big fellow. You were special.

Back