• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Winchester, VA

DeacWatcher

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
I am driving up with my wife on Friday to pick up a dining set she bid on and won on Ebay. Its 7 hours from upstate SC so we'll be spending the night. Anyone ever stay at the George Washington Inn? Its $125 for the night with a good location so I am thinking of that unless some of you think it sucks. Where to eat in town as I have never been there and probably won't be back for a second try? Anywhere cool to drink?

I can't say anything about that one but we stayed at the springhill and was very pleased.

Our pastor lived there for 10-15 years. Mtndeac also worked there this spring. Neither have any dining recommendations.

I'll check at work tomorrow. A coworkers spouse grew up there.

I have been to Winchester, VA and stayed at the George Washington Inn, but it was almost 20 years ago so my impressions may be a bit dated. It was nice then and the food was fine. I more recently stayed at the Aloft hotel there after eating at Arby's in Salem, VA on the way.

Its a nice place, pretty downtown.

Their HS is named Handley, I played on their football field (which is also in the middle of downtown) when I was in HS in NOVA.

If you've never been to Charlottesville you should drive through it.

Its a nice place, pretty downtown.

Their HS is named Handley, I played on their football field (which is also in the middle of downtown) when I was in HS in NOVA.

If you've never been to Charlottesville you should drive through it.

except Cville is nowhere near being on the way from SC

I have been to Winchester, VA and stayed at the George Washington Inn, but it was almost 20 years ago so my impressions may be a bit dated. It was nice then and the food was fine. I more recently stayed at the Aloft hotel there after eating at Arby's in Salem, VA on the way.

Would you recommend that Arby's?

Packs Dairy Corner is a neat ice cream stand. Usually if I am hungry I will eat at the Sheetz. I've never been downtown as I go east off 81 on 7 to get home.

Lived there for a few years like 20 years ago. Not a bad place at all. Never stayed at the Inn, but if it's downtown and you're looking for a place to have a few beers nearby, I recommend Cork Street Tavern - that was 1 of our favorite watering holes. But I'm sure there are a lot more restaurants/bars there now than when I was there.

Back