• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Windows 10

RedSoxFaithful

a vicar in a tutu
Reaction score
I know there was a little discussion on the Cell Phone thread, but I thought it deserved its own space. How have experiences with Windows 10 been so far?

I'm doing a clean install on my PC today... One annoying quirk: the clean install didn't delete anything on my second and third SSDs. I'm going to have to run a secure erase on each of them, which is sort of a pain in the ass. Microsoft Edge seems pretty solid. Not sure if it's going to be good enough to get me to switch from Chrome, though.

I got a new computer this week with Windows 10 preloaded. It is better than Windows 8 but a lot of things are still not intuitive. For business purposes I still miss the more straightforward functionality of the earlier version(s) of Windows. It seems as though Windows 8 and (less so) 10 add steps to complete once simple tasks, such as adding shortcuts on a desktop.

One quirk is that Windows 10 is not syncing with the audio drivers installed on computers set up for Windows 8 so the apps have to be reinstalled to play sound (or in some cases video). I had to uninstall and reinstall Netflix for example, as it was not installed properly by HP. Tech support at Netflix and HP were both aware of the issue.

Edge is a huge upgrade over explorer but chrome is still better.

Upgraded my machine a couple of weeks ago. Aside from some small problems (Start menu app limit, monitors not sleeping), it's been pretty good.

XBO remote streaming is pretty cool.

Last edited:
Went from Win8 to Win10 over the weekend with no problems except for some initial wonkiness with nvidia drivers. once those were updated it's been smooth sailing. i like it a lot. I have not messed around with Edge but honestly I'm so deep in the Googleverse now it's probably not worth my time.

Win 7 to 10 for me. I can't believe I'm saying this because I started the update with the utmost trepidation, but 10 has actually been a noticeable improvement for me. Stability has improved greatly. Note - I'm not a power user and this is an old desktop that I'm just trying to coax a few more months of life out of.

Win 7 to 10 for me. I can't believe I'm saying this because I started the update with the utmost trepidation, but 10 has actually been a noticeable improvement for me. Stability has improved greatly. Note - I'm not a power user and this is an old desktop that I'm just trying to coax a few more months of life out of.

Yep. One day in, couldn't have asked for a smoother transition for the most part. The only real issue I had, aside from having to manually wipe my secondary SSDs, revolved around forgetting that I hadn't restored my Razer Synapse settings before trying to play a game.

I'm also experiencing an issue where my connection drops every few hours, but unplugging and replugging in my WiFi adapter fixes it. I think it's because I haven't installed the driver for my WiFi adapter, though.

I'm in a similar situation and I'm happy with Windows 10. Performance is pretty smooth on a 5 year old machine.

Only bug I've noticed is that it sometimes doesn't want to exit sleep mode. I also think the live tiles are a bit much. When I'm on a desktop it's because I have a defined task I want to complete. I'm not interested in random notifications. Those live tiles are more suited for phones or tablets.

It is crazy how quickly Win 10 boots, btw. I'm using an M.2 drive as the boot partition, and the boot went from about 15 seconds with Win 7 to ~8 seconds with 10.

Upgraded 7 32 bit on an old Dell laptop just to play around. Much faster even on old hardware. Like Edge better than Explorer but not as well as Firefox--can't compare to Chrome since I don't do Google unless forced.

Anyone using 10 for work? Leery to try for a while since I depend on Kerberos authentication for VPN and Citrix access to certain applications.

windows 10 is kinda crapping out my computer. for some reason I cant access the taskbar at all and the time/date is now gone.

Back