• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Windows 8.1

Hadn't heard about it until this thread, but downloading it now to my 2006 ThinkPad

ETA: Apparently it's not compatible with something. Oh well

Last edited:
What advantage is there over Windows 7? That's running pretty well for me.

I'm sure there are several threads on this, but as far as I can tell there aren't any real advantages over W7 unless you have a touchscreen-enabled PC. I installed W8 on my WFU ThinkPad only because it was a $30 upgrade from XP that I installed when I wiped the computer clean; I've got two netbooks with W7 that I had no intention (and still don't) of upgrading to W8 even at that price.

Windows 8 is a total disaster and is only good for touchscreen devices. I can't believe Microsoft doubled down and isn't bringing the start button back in 8.1.

If you are forced to make due with windows 8, install Start8. It makes it into a fast version of windows 7

Windows 8 is a total disaster and is only good for touchscreen devices. I can't believe Microsoft doubled down and isn't bringing the start button back in 8.1.

If you are forced to make due with windows 8, install Start8. It makes it into a fast version of windows 7

This is exactly what I did after being forced to purchase a Windows 8 laptop. I honestly have no idea what they were thinking; I would not be able to use my laptop without a Start button.

It's really not that bad. Dropping the start button isn't exactly intuitive, I agree, but it's still in the lower-left corner of the screen and accessible with one click, or you can just use the Start key on your keyboard.

And from what I read, 8.1 brought the start button back, didn't it? I wasn't able to install it so I can't say for sure.

It's not an actual start button. Gotta get Start8

Is there a freeware app that does the same thing as Start8?

Back