• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Winston-Salem Open

deacs1995

i gave at the office
Reaction score
looks like some preliminary matches played today. Anyone get out to this?

First round today. I'm going Thursday - Saturday but may try to squeeze in another night. Tomic lost today to Andreev in 3 -- was hoping to see him play. Blake won. Final match of the day just underway (Donald Young vs. a German, Michael Berrer).

Very excited to get out there though.

looks like some preliminary matches played today. Anyone get out to this?

I just got home from it, spent about the entire weekend there. I'm working in the souvenir stand run by Team Connection a few days this week. Work a few hours then watch tennis the rest of the time, not a bad deal. I'll be in there Thursday and Friday evening, probably the only guy with a Wake hat on.

Watched James Blake tonight; he looked pretty solid for 31 years old. Maybe a step slower than he used to be but his strokes were right on target. Saw the end of Tomic's match; something seemed off with him as there didn't seem to be any pace behind his shots.

If you go, be sure to watch some doubles matches; the pace of play is incredible. The outer courts are great because you can get right up close to the action; my wife actually got one of the players towels (yes it smells as bad as you would expect).

The complex itself is amazing. Lots of Wake presence around; the lighting is perfect for night matches. Hopefully by next year there will be a permanent center court stadium built though the temporary seats don't look terrible. Wake is lucky to have a nice complex for tennis and will be hosting ACC and NCAA tournaments in the near future.

If you go, get there early and go by the practice courts. Yesterday Isner, Roddick, Hewitt and Tomic were all out there hitting. The ladies will probably appreciate watching them.

Anyone have a sense of how successful this has been? Looking here it looks like a number of sessions were sold out- as well as all of the most expensive tickets.http://tickets.winstonsalemopen.com/

Qualifying yesterday was very well attended, which is pretty rare for most ATP events. Leyton Hewitt had a comment in the paper how he was surprised at the crowd size for qualifying rounds.

The main stadium was about 70% full for Blake's match. I expect Tuesady will be packed for Isner's first match, as well as Roddick's, which will likely be Tuesday night. As I said, I worked in the souvenir stand and we had pretty steady traffic most of the afternoon.

Also, Wake fans should pay attention to the doubles draw. Former Deac Corry Parr will be playing alongside Treat Huey from UVA. They are not on tomorrow, could be Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest before they play.

Qualifying yesterday was very well attended, which is pretty rare for most ATP events. Leyton Hewitt had a comment in the paper how he was surprised at the crowd size for qualifying rounds.

The main stadium was about 70% full for Blake's match. I expect Tuesady will be packed for Isner's first match, as well as Roddick's, which will likely be Tuesday night. As I said, I worked in the souvenir stand and we had pretty steady traffic most of the afternoon.
That's great news.

I've talked with the tournament director and I don't think that we are getting permanent center court stands for a couple of years. He said that we are going to use temporary seats for the first couple of years and they are going to raise funds to build a permanent stadium. The problem with the permanent stadium is that it is right where student tailgating is supposed to be so once the permanent structure is built there has to be another place in the complex to have tailgating.

The sooner the better for a permanent stadium. Inside, the stadium looks nice and when it is full you can't tell its temporary (which is great for TV). But outside is kind of crappy with the temporary seating, even though they have a tight netting wrapped around everything to hide the actual structure.

I know that they are going to build a new building between center court and the football stands that will have concessions and bathrooms so you don't have to walk up to the stadium to use the bathroom. I think that they want to have that done for next year or the year after that.

I know that they are going to build a new building between center court and the football stands that will have concessions and bathrooms so you don't have to walk up to the stadium to use the bathroom. I think that they want to have that done for next year or the year after that.

Considering how close center court is, I wonder if this is going to be eventually incorporated into the new stadium?

Considering how close center court is, I wonder if this is going to be eventually incorporated into the new stadium?

it will be used for student tailgating so there are bathrooms for students to use during tailgating without having to check in to the stadium to use the bathroom. Also sell shit to drunk students to make money.

it will be used for student tailgating so there are bathrooms for students to use during tailgating without having to check in to the stadium to use the bathroom. Also sell shit to drunk students to make money.

I guess they are going to install a fence or something as soon as the tournament is over? As of now there is no fence up separating the courts from the stadium concourse.

Where will this facility be in 10-15 years? A huge success because sponsors rallied behind it or a parking lot with grass growing between the cracks on the former courts?

This is my biggest concern.

Was there for both matches tonight. Great atmosphere for Sunday night opening round matches. Also nice to see two Americans Blake and Young make it to the second round. I figure the crowds will only grow as the week goes on especially with Isner and Roddick playing. I would also recommend to anyone attending to spend some time at the practice courts. It gives you a real appreciation for the speed of the game and how hard the pros hit the ball.

Where will this facility be in 10-15 years? A huge success because sponsors rallied behind it or a parking lot with grass growing between the cracks on the former courts?

This is my biggest concern.

It will be a tennis facility. Even if the ATP is gone in 10 years, Wake will still play tennis matches there and it will host other tournaments throughout the year.

Great to know. Had no idea this was so definitive. Thanks.

It will be a tennis facility. Even if the ATP is gone in 10 years, Wake will still play tennis matches there and it will host other tournaments throughout the year.

Will Brooklyn be there?

Back