• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Winston-Salem Travel

Reaction score
Looking for some travel advice.

The Newenglanddeac fam might be traveling through Winston 2/16 and 2/17 on our way down to Charleston for February break.

Any good recommendations for places to stay overnight for a night or two with a few kids and a dog?

Also any family friendly reccos for Saturday 2/17 to watch the Wake/UVA game?

Freddie B’s is still open, right?

Last edited:
Kimpton downtown is an architectural gem in the old RJR Art Deco HQ. It’s good and has a dog culture going on.. it can be expensive but this time of year it is reasonable.

I stayed at The Hampton Inn downtown in December but I’m not sure what their pet policy is. I’d guess you could watch the game at Mellow Mushroom.

Hotel Indigo on 4th Street is pet-friendly and a great location for family-friendly restaurants. Like a lot of places that are of the boutique-y nature it seems the level of staffing is not up to par with the amenities they try to promote, but during our recent stay the folks working there could not have been more friendly or accomodating.

Indigo was the thing that came to mind but I've heard mixed reviews.

I think it's probably a fine stay but I'd avoid eating there as it's a Sir Winston is a Mayfair establishment, which always seems to miss the mark.

Family-friendly game-watching places is a smidgen hard. It's at noon so you can work lunch into things and do Putters or foothills.

Fiddlin' is probably your best option if you like brewery vibes as they show all the games and have a good amount of space.

The playground golf and sports bar could be another option.

I think it's probably a fine stay but I'd avoid eating there as it's a Sir Winston is a Mayfair establishment, which always seems to miss the mark.

Family-friendly game-watching places is a smidgen hard. It's at noon so you can work lunch into things and do Putters or foothills.

Fiddlin' is probably your best option if you like brewery vibes as they show all the games and have a good amount of space.

Mossy's in Clemmons isn't a bad spot either.

.... kids are only allowed on Sundays there. They make exceptions for things like the Coaches shows, etc. So you'd probably be OK... but...

I'd recommend staying around downtown & getting a parlor bowling lane at Roar + requesting a lane close to the TVs.

The Kimpton (Cardinal) is fantastic and has several areas to entertain and watch games.

We've watched several in the plush lounge, heading towards the rec room. I've never seen anybody else in there. The hotel staff will even deliver drinks/room service to you while you're down there.

Plus, the hotel has a free happy hour daily & they are incredibly dog friendly.

The rec room has free basketball, bowling, Foosball, ping pong, etc... but is sometimes rented for private events. You can call and check in advance.

camel city bbq factory is kid friendly... also agree about fiddlin fish especially now since they are pimping the NIL beer.

That's a fair assessment: the guy who checked us in and also parked our car and was working in the kitchen that night, so on the surface their dining doesn't appear to be a priority. But absent places like the Kimpton or a few hotels in Pinehurst we avoid hotel dining other than continental breakfast, so that was not an issue with our stay.

Kimpton downtown is an architectural gem in the old RJR Art Deco HQ. It’s good and has a dog culture going on.. it can be expensive but this time of year it is reasonable.
I'm hosting a conference and attendees are staying at the Kimpton 2/15 for sure and maybe 2/16, so it might have limited availability.

Back